Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4046750 - 02/08/20 09:51 AM Re: Timing chain questions [Re: IPreferDIY]
Davidzq Online   happy

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By IPreferDIY

I remember seeing something about the problem relating to a bad batch of nylon on the tensioner arms, but I don't recall where that was from or whether it was the definitive issue. I remember the TSB saying "some", so that might be consistent with the bad batch view.

There was a recall issued for the 2003 model year due to bad tensioners. They would be replaced by the dealer.
A series of dots and an x on marked on the front of the valve covers indicates this recall has been completed.

2007 P71, Norsea Blue SAP
-Jmod
-Message Center cluster retrofit
-All interior lighting converted to blue
-Lincoln towncar seats, heated and power passenger
-Self installed Compustar remote start/security
-Full dynamat install
-Full interior swap from tan to charcoal
-Trailer hitch/light controller/AirLift assist bags
-Headlight relay mod

Links
#4046760 - 02/08/20 01:17 PM Re: Timing chain questions [Re: Davidzq]
IPreferDIY Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Here's a link with the content of the TSB included:

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=218164

This suggests a problem with the arms themselves rather than the tensioners, but it's still not definitive. I remember reading about the markings being done but don't recall the details. I'm guessing they did a mad scramble to correct what they could when they first figured out the issue.

#4046948 - 02/10/20 03:03 PM Re: Timing chain questions [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
KYF350 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
The anti-drainback valve is just a flap of rubber at the inlet. Since it's part of the filter spec, any halfway-decent aftermarket filter will have it as well.

My dad worked for the local Ford dealership in the late '60's/early '70's. When I started driving he spoke of an anti-drainback valve that was supposed to minimize hammer on startup. Thanks for your reply, Craig.
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Mocha, HPP, 173A package, traction assist. Mom's car.

#4046950 - 02/10/20 03:05 PM Re: Timing chain questions [Re: gDMJoe]
KYF350 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By gDMJoe
Quote:
Old_Guy_Stu - The anti-drainback valve is just a flap of rubber at the inlet.

The quality filters will have a heat resistant silicone value rather than nitrile/rubber (which is prone to harden with heat).

Another factor is not having a dome-end pressure relief valve (which may allow contaminants back into the engine).

Quote:
Since it's part of the filter spec, any halfway-decent aftermarket filter will have it as well.

Depends upon what you consider halfway-decent ... Most wouldn't qualify. *.below

Would only recommend Motorcraft, WIX, and NAPA GOLD | SLIVER (which are made by WIX)

----------

• *In case the image is a no-show ... <PIC>

Thanks for your reply, Craig.
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Mocha, HPP, 173A package, traction assist. Mom's car.

#4046952 - 02/10/20 03:11 PM Re: Timing chain questions [Re: IPreferDIY]
KYF350 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By IPreferDIY
Originally Posted By Fordiesel69
... The 2000 thru 2003 also had metal block hydraulic tensioners, with very poorly made tensioner arms that fell apart. The chain will wear thru the aluminum quickly, and then into the steel / chrome plunger. ...

I remember seeing something about the problem relating to a bad batch of nylon on the tensioner arms, but I don't recall where that was from or whether it was the definitive issue. I remember the TSB saying "some", so that might be consistent with the bad batch view.

Awhile ago, I got a pair of Cloyes tensioner arms from RockAuto on clearance, and they ended up having the original casting number but had something like a 2011 date on the box. I contacted someone at Cloyes who said the casting was the same even after the upgrade, so that would seem to lend support to a problem with the nylon itself.

I've read about people having issues even in the absence of any obvious sound, so I've been checking my oil and oil filter after oil changes. Unfortunately, I read a post recently in which someone mentioned not having any apparent problem with the old oil or oil filter despite obvious wear in the tensioner arms.

Since my last oil change, I have heard a 'sewing machine' sound that varied with RPM on at least two occasions for brief periods after cold starts, so I might be due at <130,000 miles. I remember seeing one in a U-pull yard that was showing obvious wear around 70,000-80,000 miles.

Anyone know how long they can go in the absence of a defect? I would think replacing at least the tensioner arms at 370,000 miles would be good preventive maintenance if the valve covers are already off.

I agree. Thanks for you reply, Craig.

#4046954 - 02/10/20 03:14 PM Re: Timing chain questions [Re: TheCableGuy]
KYF350 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By TheCableGuy
My car in my sig has allot of idle hours.... (see sig) and I don’t think my timing chain area has been messed with. I only get a little clatter on startup for about 10 seconds or less. I have been dreading the day I have to do this.. if it ever makes it that far.
My car doesn't clatter at all, I just thought with the miles it may need to be replaced. Thanks for your reply, Craig.

#4046956 - 02/10/20 03:15 PM Re: Timing chain questions [Re: watkd]
KYF350 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By watkd
Originally Posted By Fordiesel69
The curved guides that hold tension on the chains will wear thru to the steel plunger on the tensioner block.

BTW, the 1996 was not a problem year. 2000 - 2003 was.

A panther platform vehicle outside the 2000-2003 years are not exempt from timing chain issues. The parts will wear with usage.

Thanks for your reply, Craig.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (WickLC1), 62 Guests and 100 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 191
BigMerc96 75
ClayBelt 74
Ponyguy 63
Old_Guy_Stu 63
a_d_a_m 62
TheCableGuy 57
Moby_Vic 51
RF_Overlord 38
Psxmoe 37
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!