Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4047552 - 02/16/20 07:13 AM YouTube video-How to spot fake Motorcraft parts
Rodman Offline

Loc: Trying to keep Austin Weird
I stumbled across this video in the wee hours this morning, and thought I would share. Hopefully this guy got it right.

How to spot fake Motorcraft parts

Current: Mine is an '03 LX w/135K miles & the Wife has had (sold 12/2019) an '03 GM with about 125K miles and some peeling paint. frown

1. Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.
2. Law of Gravity - Any tool, nut, bolt, screw, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.
3. Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.
4. Variation Law - If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now.

#4048356 - 02/21/20 05:14 PM Re: YouTube video-How to spot fake Motorcraft parts [Re: Rodman]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
It is good to be aware of those things.
But other than spotting a fake spark plug, really, how are you going to know if you are buying fake parts until it is too late? Its not like you have a bunch of other boxes to compare one to the other. And for that matter, the manufacturing variations from the various feeder plants. (speaking from familiarity with ac delco stuff back in the day)
If like fordtechm. who sees parts constantly and is intimately familiar with the specific details of ford parts and can see a difference. Like the new part number in an old box. Whos going to know when you are standing at the parts counter and you get a fake box or bag handed to you. Sad reality is the fakes are so close that the average joe, and even an all-makes tech isn't going to spot it unless its so blatently obvious.

#4049308 - 02/27/20 02:11 AM Re: YouTube video-How to spot fake Motorcraft parts [Re: Rodman]
metro21 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: CA
Great video. The amount of fakes (all kinds) out there (especially Ebay) is amazing. I would only buy OEM plugs and COPs from the dealer.

#4049328 - 02/27/20 08:41 AM Re: YouTube video-How to spot fake Motorcraft parts [Re: Rodman]
AlleyG Offline
Climber

Loc: Raleigh, NC
How do they get away with this, I thought counterfeiting was a serious crime?

That video was really tedious to watch, you should get an award for making it to the end. I didn't.

Al
Previous Fords:
1988 T-Bird, 1995 T-Bird, 1996 Cougar

#4053558 - 03/21/20 09:19 AM Re: YouTube video-How to spot fake Motorcraft parts [Re: Rodman]
BigMerc96 Offline
I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I am always cautious when buying ANY $$ part, and especially if its a part that's hard/annoying to change so I'm buying OEM. If I want an OEM part, I don't buy it online unless its from a dealership (like Tasca). I think you're fairly safe buying OEM parts from any major autoparts store, they get them from the factory, and it would in no way benefit them to sell a fake. Online though, like Amazon, don't trust em unless I can verify.

This isn't something that just effects Motorcraft, or even just auto parts. Its a big deal in a lot of products. Newegg, an online electronics place, had a batch of counterfeit Samsung solid state hard drives. I bought what I'm 95% sure is a counterfeit Intel WiFi card for my old laptop. In the case of that card, it WAS cheap, and it DOES work (in Linux), so IDGAF, but if I had paid full Intel price (granted this was only about $15 cheaper) I mighta been pissed.

Its also common in HID headlights. China can make a bulb that fits/functions fine but doesn't have the greatest quality control for $15 in, say, the D2S bulb size. That is a common factory size in Caddys and whatnot, and a genuine OSRAM/Phillips bulb costs $75-$100. Saving money and buying a cheap knock-off bulb is one thing, but they're well known to also counterfeit the packaging and sell them at full OSRAM price. In the case of my Audi, yeah, the cheap bulb would probably work, I run cheapie China HIDs in my retrofits on the other cars, but in the Audi (or most factory HIDs) if that cheap bulb fails and takes out the ballast or igniter you're looking at several hundred dollars.. So I bought genuine OSRAM. The reason I bought them over Phillips is because OSRAM got smart to all this, they put a QR code on the package, if you scan that on their website it will give you the serial number of the bulbs that were sealed into that package when it left the factory and you can read that thru the packaging. Its not foolproof, but its solid piece of mind that if I spend $150 on a pair of bulbs, I'm at least getting what I paid for.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#4094762 - 02/04/21 04:58 PM Re: YouTube video-How to spot fake Motorcraft parts [Re: AlleyG]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By AlleyG
How do they get away with this, I thought counterfeiting was a serious crime?
Counterfeiting currency is a serious crime. Counterfeiting spark plugs? Probably not as high up on the FBI's list.

Stick it to the man: buy counterfeit spark plugs using counterfeit currency.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4095414 - 02/08/21 10:17 PM Re: YouTube video-How to spot fake Motorcraft parts [Re: Rodman]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
It is a good video to watch. At $10 a plug or more, worth attention and to remember a good deal that sounds to good to be true is likely not so true.

________________________________________ ____________________
Problems huh? Then Read THE Book. Signed: Natural Borne Neanderthal .

Moderator:  88grandmarq, RF_Overlord 
Who's Online
2 registered (Becker34, DudeAbides), 56 Guests and 124 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 109
Moby_Vic 77
JeffBoudah 75
Old_Guy_Stu 71
Armada Master 54
DudeAbides 51
a_d_a_m 48
Dmblanch 46
Ponyguy 43
SocalSam 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!