Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4046166 - 02/04/20 12:54 AM Road Trip and Everyday tool kit
needforspeed1060 Offline

Loc: Wallingford CT
Hey everyone, So its been a long time since I last posted. I still have both my 2005 and 2006 (daily) P71s. I got to thinking of planing a road trip at some point this year, as I have done before with my 2006 many times. Years ago I had an issue with my thermostat being stuck open heading down south I was in PA/NY border and ended up buying a new one and installing it in a parking lot, that time I had with me a full 290 something piece craftsman socket set. I since backed off having both a SAE/Metric set. I now Carry a small zipped tool bag, Snap-on 3/8 Dual 80 ratchet, the 1/4 Snap-On ratchet, 3 and 6 inch 3/8 extension, 10 inch 1/4 extension. 5.5, 7, 8, 10mm 1/4 sockets, and 5.5-24mm 3/8 Williams sockets, 10-19mm deep 3/8 sockets. 8mm/10mm Williams Box and and a 13mm Williams Combo wrench. This is what I keep in there eveyday, What is everyone else carrying in their car? Has anyone had to do a road side repair? From working on these cars over the years I feel that the most commonly used stuff is covered, yet maybe I am missing something? One thing I realized was that I lacked a spark plug socket. Whats everyone's thoughts?
2008 350Z NISMO #1424

#4046170 - 02/04/20 06:01 AM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Full size spare, jack, coolant, oil, ATF and a really basic tool kit, plus some rags and a roll of duct tape. Jumper cables and a towel. It's peace of mind, I haven't needed any of it.

Edited by Old_Guy_Stu (02/04/20 06:02 AM)

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July '19, Aug '20, Oct '21, Feb '23, 64K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4049304 - 02/27/20 12:50 AM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
TheCableGuy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
Late to post on this but screw it. I keep allot of tools in my car, as I am always on the highway. I keep a spare tire that was pulled outta junk yard, doesn’t have much tread bit it’s nuff’ to get me to the next tire shop. Floor jack(screw those little ones, go big or go home). 1) 3/8 socket kit, 1) 1/4 socket kit. Assorted box of misc. bolts, screws and general nick knacks. A small box is assorted wiring. Jumper cables. Starter fluid, 1 gallon of water, a quart of oil, quart of trans fluid, two thermostats, a serpentine belt. Ohhh what else.. fire extinguisher, pliers, hammer, various sizes of screw drivers. A handheld ham radio, blankets, and a couple of MREs, along with about 20 boxes of ammo buried. Yeah... I gotta lotta [censored]. But, I’ll be dammed to be the last one stranded on the highway.

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP- 90K- Work in progress

Previous rides:
2011 Sierra 1500 155K, too many mods to list. (RIP 01-05-2019)
2001 Durango R/T 5.9. 230K. SOLD 5-1-19

They laugh at me because I’m different. I laugh at them because they’re all the same- Heath Ledger

#4049316 - 02/27/20 06:15 AM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: TheCableGuy]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By TheCableGuy
Floor jack(screw those little ones, go big or go home).

For me the little one was a considerable upgrade. Remember bumper jacks and how horrible they were? That's what the Love Boat came with.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July '19, Aug '20, Oct '21, Feb '23, 64K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4053564 - 03/21/20 09:30 AM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
BigMerc96 Offline
I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I just carry a 60-piece socket set, a few screwdrivers, 2 pair of Vice Grips, an adjustable wrench, and a breaker bar with a lug-nut-sized socket. Oh, and can't forget duct tape and quarts of oil and ATF. I used to carry a lot more, but its really not necessary. I have the factory emergency jack, which for anything I'm likely to try and do on the side of the road, its fine. Hell, I've changed a caliper in a WalMart parking lot with just my basic toolkit and the factory jack. I could replace an intake manifold with just that toolkit too. That would be the most extreme thing I could ever see myself attempting in an emergency, but if I can do that with the tools in my trunk then there isn't much on a Panther that I couldn't do with the same toolkit.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#4053588 - 03/21/20 10:30 AM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Metric deep and regular sockets (pictured below)
Cordless impact + appropriate lug socket (21mm? or is it 19? whatever)
a little oil, ATF, and coolant
spare tire
jack
blanket

That about covers the important stuff for me.

Originally Posted By needforspeed1060
Has anyone had to do a road side repair?
Yep. Coming home from Hot Rod Power Tour in 2018. I made it all the way from Charlotte, NC to Akron, OH...about 45min from home, a brake caliper bolt decided to back itself out. Got off the freeway and lucked into an O'Reilly, Advance, and Auto Zone all within a stone's throw.

The bolt was actually still there, but had backed all the way out. I hadn't used LocTite when I did the big brake upgrade, and somehow it made it all the way through the Power Tour without fail...thankfully, since I beat the hell out of the car that week. Go figure.

O'Reilly had all flavors of LocTite and I haven't had an issue since.

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19, Dec. '22) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20)
'18 Flex EB | '92 Shadow VT1100C
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19), '03 SAP P71, 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)

#4053634 - 03/21/20 01:08 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
hot__box Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Gulf South
Generally, I keep the same things in every daily driver. I've accumulated most over the years as it's quite expensive to buy multiple of each item all at once to keep in multiple vehicles. Y'all might laugh but I'd rather have and not need, than need and not have.

-Fire Extinguisher (in my van I carry 2)
-Jumper Cables
-Small toolkit with ratchet, sockets; also screwdrivers, crescent wrench and a pair of vice grips.
-Zip Ties
-Small Duffel Bag with extra T-shirts, draws, gym shorts and socks; as well as tylenol and some antacids.
-Industrial First Aid kit
-Hydrogen Peroxide (never included in first aid kits for whatever reason)
-Spare tire, obviously; jack, 4-Way Lug Wrench
-Tow Straps, Ratchet Straps, and a Heavy Duty steel chain or 2.
-Dawn Dish soap
-Hand Sanitizer (before people went mad behind sanitizer)
-One gallon of water (for washing hands, I refill with tap water)(In my '11 Silverado I keep 2)
-6 pack of drinking water (In my van I keep a 24 pack)
-Milk Crate (makes a good improvised seat)
-5 gallon bucket
-Traffic cone (2 each in my truck and van, it's more work related for street deliveries)
-2 Jackets with hoods
-Small knife
-Seatbelt cutter/window breaker
-Wasp spray (a must in the summertime)
-driver's gloves (work gloves basically)
-Also for work, I keep a safety vest, hard hat, and folding clipboard and multiple pens in both the truck and van.
-probably some more stuff that I'm forgetting, tbh. Overkill? Yes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Out of all that stuff, it's mostly peace of mind. The most I've ever had to do roadside was change a flat tire and use a socket to tighten up a battery post that had gone too loose to keep the car running. I use to soap and water frequently as well. Everything else is just in case.

#4064268 - 05/22/20 12:47 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
Dawg_Hauler Offline
n00b

Loc: Cache Oklahoma
I'd rather have and not need, than need and not have also. I carry most of the stuff Hot Box mentioned except for hardhat and clipboard. I also pack a couple bright orange safety vests and some clip on ice spikes for shoes. Bruised a rib a couple years ago helping clear up an ice induced traffic snarl in OKC. Don't want to do that again.
2011 P7B - 113k Ks. Gov. vehicle until Dec. 2019

#4068008 - 06/19/20 05:18 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
Lance01 Offline
Climber

Loc: Pa
I don't carry jumper cables anymore. That's for 80s cars with not too much electrical components.

All you need is AAA, a tire patch kit, a portable air pump, a jack, 1 small jack stand and maybe spare serpentine belt.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-11-Piece-Deluxe-Tire-Plug-Kit-with-Glue-2040-A/16782762

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

#4068012 - 06/19/20 05:54 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
TheCableGuy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
AAA is pretty useless when you break down in the middle of nowhere like where I’m at, go ahead and throw in very limited cell reception with allot of areas completely dead.

My neighbors car broke down on about 60 miles from here, I was out of town so I couldn’t of done anything but she had to walk 5 miles.. with this heat, to get cell reception to call a tow truck, and then wait 2 hours for it to get there.

The only reason why I carry just about everything is because of that. Middle of nowhere. Yeah if you have reception that’s all fine and dandy if you want to wait hours.

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP- 90K- Work in progress

Previous rides:
2011 Sierra 1500 155K, too many mods to list. (RIP 01-05-2019)
2001 Durango R/T 5.9. 230K. SOLD 5-1-19

They laugh at me because I’m different. I laugh at them because they’re all the same- Heath Ledger

#4068024 - 06/19/20 08:10 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: a_d_a_m]
124neta Offline
don't get riled, sugar!
Poobah

Loc: Il
Originally Posted By a_d_a_m

I bought a similar sized smaller socket set with portability in mind. Black chrome? Hey, I wont mix up these with all my other tools. "Great"!, I said.

I just so happens that black is also is a great underhood camouflage.

The sockets weren't "black chrome" either. They were chrome painted black.

They are getting a coat of hot pink rustolium whenever I get the chance.

#4068032 - 06/19/20 10:49 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: TheCableGuy]
Lance01 Offline
Climber

Loc: Pa
Originally Posted By TheCableGuy
AAA is pretty useless when you break down in the middle of nowhere like where I’m at, go ahead and throw in very limited cell reception with allot of areas completely dead.

My neighbors car broke down on about 60 miles from here, I was out of town so I couldn’t of done anything but she had to walk 5 miles.. with this heat, to get cell reception to call a tow truck, and then wait 2 hours for it to get there.

The only reason why I carry just about everything is because of that. Middle of nowhere. Yeah if you have reception that’s all fine and dandy if you want to wait hours.

You don't have a satellite phone??? smile

But yea, that's true if you live out in the middle of nowhere AAA won't be of much use.

Personally I have driven 50k miles on my vic last year in urban and suburban areas and the only issue that comes up like clockwork is getting nails stuck in my tires.

#4068040 - 06/19/20 11:06 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Usually for road trips my must haves are jumper cables and a 12v tire inflator compressor if I remember to throw both in. I usually don't bother with tools because chances are if something is going to break it won't be something I'd want to be fixing on the side of the road anyway.

#4068136 - 06/20/20 03:57 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
Freddy12189 Offline

Loc: NY
I got a 200 something piece crafts man mechanics tool set, set of big wrenches. Milwaukee snub 3/8 drive impact with 2 batteries, aluminum floor jack, 4 way lug wrench, 2 quarts motor oil, 2 quarts trans fluid, PB blaster can, Mass air flow cleaner spray can, 2 hammers, 4 pry bare assorted sizes, Aluminium donut spare, can fix a flat, Extendable 1/2 breaker bar and a long 1/2 breaker bar, Screwdriver set, 20v cordless drill set with all sizes bits, blanket, Rhino plastic ramps, 2 jack stands, Extra head light bulbs in boxes, vice grips, Set of wire strippers/crimpers with electrical tape and rolls of wires assorted gauge. 2 rolls paper towels with windex/rainX, jug of windshield washer fluid, 2 gallons 50/50 anti freeze, Jump box/USB charger thing, 3 flash lights, 20 feet of rope/few bungies....

Thats just off the top of my head I know there is more. I live in a small place so I keep almost all my tools in the trunk of my 99 MGM.

Its kind of nice having all the stuff right there when I do something to the car. Its the reason why I went with the police spec rear springs and looking into an air lift bags for the back. As of now though the car sits fine.

#4068610 - 06/25/20 03:47 AM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
sethbon Offline
n00b

Loc: GA
I usually bring commonly-used wrenches, ratchets and sockets, screwdrivers, plier, a multimeter, wire cutter, set of metric nuts and bolts, pack of zipties, jumper cable and light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  88grandmarq, RF_Overlord 
Who's Online
2 registered (RazorEye, Volodymyr), 74 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!