Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4054366 - 03/24/20 10:14 PM I hate Having OCD
Psxmoe Offline
Climber

Loc: AZ
So I got mostly everything I need to tackle my Intake Replacement, and some more. I honestly hate having the, Im in the neighborhood might as well mentality.

I got a new Ford OEM Intake Manifold #9W7Z9424A
Comes with Crossover and upper Intake O-ring BTW
New PCV valve OEM # 5L3Z6A666BA
Fel-Pro Manifold Gasket Set #MS96281
Fel-Pro Fuel Injector O-rings # ES70599 x4
Mahle Coolant Pipe O-ring Set # GS33800
WIX oil # 51372XP and Air Filter #46134.

I would of stopped but no I couldn't, also Purchased

Fel-Pro Oil Filter Adapter/Housing Gasket # 70801
Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gasket Set # VS50564R
Stant Super Stat # 45779
And new Spark Plug Boots

I was tempted to do the Timing chain cover as well. But the wife is also screaming at me.

Sadly The Mahle Coolant pipe Oring set that was supposed to contain 2 Orings only had 1 even though it said SET on the bag and was listed on rockauto as contains 2 seals.

And lastly is just baffling. The stant thermostat I ordered contained a Motorcraft thermostat, I was happy at first but its got either rust or coolant residue, looks used and has a date code from 2012. WTF?

Links
#4054382 - 03/24/20 10:50 PM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Psxmoe]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Somebody else mentioned a Motorcraft stat in a Stant box this morning, and I thought "I bet somebody returned his old one." Looks like that actually happened there.

I have that OCD thing, too. Getting ready to replace valve cover gaskets. In my case that means buying a set of new used valve covers, so I can paint them beforehand and have 'em ready to go on when I finally get around to it.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July '19, Aug '20, Oct '21, Feb '23, 64K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4054400 - 03/24/20 11:37 PM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
hot__box Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Gulf South
Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
Somebody else mentioned a Motorcraft stat in a Stant box this morning, and I thought "I bet somebody returned his old one." Looks like that actually happened there.

Yep. That hardly looks like shipping and handling residue. Some asswipe pulled a fast one.

And, I don't think the OCD is such a bad mentality to have. If it gives you peace of mind and keeps the car running reliably, why not?

#4054444 - 03/25/20 05:15 AM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Psxmoe]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Just so long as you don't forget what you were originally going in for.

#4054458 - 03/25/20 08:13 AM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Rootintootin]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Originally Posted By Rootintootin
IDK how many times I've done that on a repair. Starts with an oil change, next thing I know I have the brakes torn apart because the pads looked thin, and then I start the car before realizing that I didn't change the oil filter. True story.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#4054462 - 03/25/20 08:45 AM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Psxmoe]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Yep, that's OTD (Old Timers Disease). Been there, done that. Got the T shirt to prove it. I know it's around here somewhere.

#4054490 - 03/25/20 10:15 AM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Rootintootin]
gDMJoe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Timbuk3, MI
Quote:
Rootintootin - Yep, that's OTD (Old Timers Disease). Been there, done that. Got the T shirt to prove it. I know it's around here somewhere.

Y'all just sufferin' from CRS ( Can't Rember Shit ) biggrin

-click the Vic-

#4054496 - 03/25/20 10:51 AM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Psxmoe]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

What were we talking about?

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July '19, Aug '20, Oct '21, Feb '23, 64K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4054502 - 03/25/20 11:18 AM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Psxmoe]
Blu Offline
Climber

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I hate posts like this! Now I have to build a cart...

#4054572 - 03/25/20 06:15 PM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Psxmoe]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
yep that looks like a used thermostat.

Did it come from rock auto?
I gave up on getting parts from there because while they were new they were also super old stock, flood damaged, or some other problem, Not to mention I can get the parts I want local for not much more and I'd gladly pay that bit more for the convenience of being able to pickup or return stuff on the fly.

#4054574 - 03/25/20 06:24 PM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: BigMerc96]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By BigMerc96
Originally Posted By Rootintootin
IDK how many times I've done that on a repair. Starts with an oil change, next thing I know I have the brakes torn apart because the pads looked thin, and then I start the car before realizing that I didn't change the oil filter. True story.

Hah- just before Christmas I had to do front brakes on my truck. Simple enough... nope. Got it apart and calipers were leaking, went to put the first one on and the seal was defective on it so I had to rush out to another store to get another pair since the first store was closed. Also noticed that a ball joint was so loose you could probably pull it apart by hand. When I pulled it inside to start this I heard a gushing noise and saw the lower rad hose had come off for no reason at all so that meant change the coolant and new thermostat too, which I wanted to do at some point anyway.

What were we talking about now LOL

#4054604 - 03/25/20 09:31 PM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: 2007CrownVic]
Psxmoe Offline
Climber

Loc: AZ
Glad to Know Im not the only one with OCD!
All parts came from rockauto, exception Intake Manifold.

Rockauto is sending replacement parts for the Thermostat and Coolant Pipe o rings. Which was funny because I filed a return about 6pm MST and got an email the same day at around 10pm saying my parts have been shipped!

Originally Posted By 2007CrownVic

I gave up on getting parts from there because while they were new they were also super old stock, flood damaged, or some other problem, Not to mention I can get the parts I want local for not much more and I'd gladly pay that bit more for the convenience of being able to pickup or return stuff on the fly.

I remember I ordered a fram tough guard oil filter for a Honda accord I had in 2014, The Fram filter was from the Allied Signal Era! I kept the box. Filter was old but worked fine. And once I ordered a drum brake hardware kit for a buddys 97 Dakota, And I [censored] you not, The boxes had MONTGOMERY WARD sitckers on them!!

#4054650 - 03/26/20 12:35 AM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
In my case, it was actually a brand-new stat. That, or someone did one hell of a job cleaning it and went to the trouble of including a new gasket. laugh

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19, Dec. '22) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20)
'18 Flex EB | '92 Shadow VT1100C
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19), '03 SAP P71, 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)

#4054876 - 03/27/20 12:41 PM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Psxmoe]
hot__box Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Gulf South
Originally Posted By Psxmoe
Glad to Know Im not the only one with OCD!
All parts came from rockauto, exception Intake Manifold.

Rockauto is sending replacement parts for the Thermostat and Coolant Pipe o rings. Which was funny because I filed a return about 6pm MST and got an email the same day at around 10pm saying my parts have been shipped!

Originally Posted By 2007CrownVic

I remember I ordered a fram tough guard oil filter for a Honda accord I had in 2014, The Fram filter was from the Allied Signal Era! I kept the box. Filter was old but worked fine. And once I ordered a drum brake hardware kit for a buddys 97 Dakota, And I [censored] you not, The boxes had MONTGOMERY WARD sitckers on them!!

As far as Rockauto goes... Can't say I've never had an issue with RockAuto, but I will say that their return and replacement policy is pretty decent.

While back ago I ordered a case of Coolant, as well as some belts and other parts.

When it arrived, the box was completely destroyed and soaking wet. It had been raining that day so I thought maybe it had got rained on but no, turns out two of the jugs of coolant had bust and leaked out everywhere, soaking all the belts and other parts. I was so pissed, I immediately filed a claim with Rock Auto for two replacement jugs of coolant and new parts since I wasn't sure what kind of damage coolant would do to the belts and stuff.

Within two days they approved the shipment of new merchandise.

To my surprise, they replaced all the parts, and instead of two jugs the sent me a whole new case of coolant. So that was pretty good.

#4055194 - 03/29/20 08:53 AM Re: I hate Having OCD [Re: Psxmoe]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By Psxmoe
And once I ordered a drum brake hardware kit for a buddys 97 Dakota, And I [censored] you not, The boxes had MONTGOMERY WARD sitckers on them!!

One of the vendors rockauto deals with is an overstock/old stock warehouse that buys up old stock from many of the major distribution centers for regular parts houses, if you are buying one of the closeout items, there is a good chance it is coming out of that warehouse. I bought a bunch of fuseable links, they are dorman, but old enough that they where still made in the USA dorman product.

Alex.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
2 registered (RF_Overlord, Rainyp71), 112 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
RF_Overlord 32
Old_Guy_Stu 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!