Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4069072 - 06/29/20 11:37 AM Big Brake Swap, Yet another thread
CalebFL Offline
n00b

Loc: Tampa Bay
Going to do a big brake swap on the front of my wagon pending finding the parts at the local u-pull yard. Going tomorrow and aiming to pull the entire assembly from the body from the control arm bolts onward. I'd like to document this well enough to create a sticky for our forum, as the search is mish-mash of half filled details from post to post.

Even after much searching I am still unsure of a couple things. Anyone who as done the swap, which brake line adapters necessary? I see "3/16 to metric" from searching but there is a 3/16 to M10 and 3/16 to M12 flare adapters available. Should I get brass or would stainless steel work?

Also there seems to be some disagreement of which control arms work. Some folks are very "92-95 only" where as other posters say that up to 02 will work if you use your existing control arm shaft. Can someone who is familiar chime in on these issues? Also which are preferred?

Thanks
Caleb

Guadalupe: 1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature - Pastel adobe on Cinnabar, 177k Miles, mostly stock. Best $300 car ever.

#4069082 - 06/29/20 01:08 PM Re: Big Brake Swap, Yet another thread [Re: CalebFL]
BigMerc96 Offline
I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
'95-'02 front brake hoses use M10x1.0 metric/ISO bubble flare fittings for the line connection. AFAIK, a box brake line will have a 3/8-24 inverted double flare fitting on it (standard SAE). So, you need SAE to Metric in those thread sizes. Brass is fine. Alternative would be to re-flare the brake line for the correct M10 bubble flare fitting, however bubble flare tools aren't as easy to find as you would think, I ran into that when I replaced the lines on my '97. If the existing lines and fittings are in good shape I'd probably just use an adapter even though I don't really care for adapters if I can avoid using them.

As far as the control arms, I am also not 100% sure. I know that the '92-'94 (technically early '95 are the older setup) arms work, and that seems to be what most people use. However, there has been mention that you can mount a '95-'02 upper arm on the 79-'94 style mounting shaft and use those as well. '95-'02 have tabs welded to the frame to mount the arms, so they don't use the mounting shaft.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#4069084 - 06/29/20 01:44 PM Re: Big Brake Swap, Yet another thread [Re: CalebFL]
CalebFL Offline
n00b

Loc: Tampa Bay
There are alot more 95-02 CV's in the yards here than anything older... so I'm hoping to verify that the newer upper control arms work on the old spindle shaft.

Thanks for clarifying the brake fittings, adding those to the cart now.

Guadalupe: 1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature - Pastel adobe on Cinnabar, 177k Miles, mostly stock. Best $300 car ever.

Who's Online
5 registered (vin48, magic, LTC_Dave, 3fords1, 1 invisible), 56 Guests and 263 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 192
BigMerc96 78
ClayBelt 75
Old_Guy_Stu 66
Ponyguy 61
TheCableGuy 58
Moby_Vic 57
a_d_a_m 57
Psxmoe 43
RF_Overlord 36
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!