Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4069910 - 07/06/20 03:00 PM Re: 2005 grand Marquis question [Re: BigMerc96]
Lance01 Offline

Loc: Pa
Originally Posted By BigMerc96
Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
Just for reference, the "U-Haul" pan does not have increased fluid capacity...it's identical the the stock pan with the addition of the drain plug.
I was going to say that but I wasn't 100% sure. From what I remember, the reason the u-haul pan exists is because u-haul wanted to be able to easily service their vans. They have enough pull with Ford (and GM) thru their fleet accounts and large numbers of vehicles ordered that Ford complied with that request by simply modifying the standard pan and adding a drain plug. Probably costs Ford very little to do that and if it keeps a large national fleet company happy, it only makes sense for them to do so.

Should have been standard on all transmissions but they saved millions by deleting a drain plug. So many cars and trucks with 4r70w's ended up in the scrap yard due to early transmission falure that could have been prevented by having a drain plug to easily service the transmission fluid.

Links
#4069942 - 07/06/20 08:57 PM Re: 2005 grand Marquis question [Re: Lance01]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By Lance01
Originally Posted By BigMerc96
Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
Just for reference, the "U-Haul" pan does not have increased fluid capacity...it's identical the the stock pan with the addition of the drain plug.
I was going to say that but I wasn't 100% sure. From what I remember, the reason the u-haul pan exists is because u-haul wanted to be able to easily service their vans. They have enough pull with Ford (and GM) thru their fleet accounts and large numbers of vehicles ordered that Ford complied with that request by simply modifying the standard pan and adding a drain plug. Probably costs Ford very little to do that and if it keeps a large national fleet company happy, it only makes sense for them to do so.

Should have been standard on all transmissions but they saved millions by deleting a drain plug. So many cars and trucks with 4r70w's ended up in the scrap yard due to early transmission falure that could have been prevented by having a drain plug to easily service the transmission fluid.

The same people who don't bother changing the fluid still wouldn't bother changing the filter so they wouldn't be that far ahead.

It's all made even worse now when most new vehicles don't even come with a transmission dipstick anymore.

#4070664 - 07/14/20 02:22 AM Re: 2005 grand Marquis question [Re: gDMJoe]
Kulolo Offline
n00b

Loc: Hawaii
Thanks.....

Definitely what I will order

#4070676 - 07/14/20 11:40 AM Re: 2005 grand Marquis question [Re: 2007CrownVic]
gDMJoe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Timbuk3, MI
Quote:
2007CrownVic ... It's all made even worse now when most new vehicles don't even come with a transmission dipstick anymore.

Can't speak-for other brands or -all- Fords, but they do have a dipstick, it's just not convenient. Example ...

• *In case the image is a no-show ... <PIC>

*6R80 transmission

And even then ... The aftermarket makers provide convenient, traditional alternatives.

-click the Vic-

#4071210 - 07/19/20 09:10 PM Re: 2005 grand Marquis question [Re: Dragonrider01826]
Dragonrider01826 Offline
n00b

Loc: Ma
Well all sense my last post I've done the following to my grandma

1 80maf
2 Moe tune for 87 and 89
3 dual exhaust
4 18 mustang rims

Well now that I have new rims and I replace 90% of the front end and rear the car sits way to high, so looking at coilsprings.com but not sure what a good drop for these cars and if I do drop it do I want to change "Ride/Rate being changed" and if so what should it be.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
5 registered (89Rmarq, Moby_Vic, bluejay_32, neonman12, 1 invisible), 86 Guests and 312 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 187
Old_Guy_Stu 90
a_d_a_m 88
ClayBelt 53
Davidzq 52
Moby_Vic 41
BigMerc96 40
av8or1 39
CrystalPistol 38
Ponyguy 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!