Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4071864 - 07/25/20 11:41 AM Odd heat at both rear tires after seal and bearing
Brett04 Offline
n00b

Loc: Southern PA
On my 2004 CVPI, on the front-end, I just replaced upper and lower ball joints, sway-bar bushings, stabilizer-bar links, brake rotors, and pads. On the rear I replaced the pinion seal, wheel bearings and seals, and gear oil. In between, I replaced the u-joints, and the tail-shaft seal of the transmission.

The test drive seemed fine (no vibrations, odd noises, etc.).

I used the car yesterday. When I got home, and stopped to get the mail from my mailbox, I reached out of the driver’s window, and noticed a lot of heat coming up from the bottom of the car. When I parked, I found that the rear tires were noticeably hotter than the front tires. The wheels were warmer too. They weren’t untouchable — just noticeably warmer than the front. There was a lot of heat coming out from the rear wheel wells. I was really tired, and didn’t think of using the infrared thermometer until things had cooled down a bit. At that time the differential cover was reading about 120 F.

I know that the exhaust pipes run right next to the wheel wells. I tried to convince myself that I was just not used to this car (as it had been in my shop for over a month), but I have a nagging feeling that something that I did is causing too much friction.

When replacing the pinion seal, I made alignment marks, and the nut is exactly where it was prior to removal.

I plan on putting it back on stands this evening. I was going to check the gear-oil level (though it took the correct amount, and I saw no leaks), and I’ll check the ease with which everything is turning. Is there anything else I should be checking?

In the differential, I used Valvoline SynPower 75W140, full-synthetic gear oil. It contains an additive for limited-slip differentials.

Links
#4071868 - 07/25/20 12:02 PM Re: Odd heat at both rear tires after seal and bearing [Re: Brett04]
metalpanther Offline
n00b

Loc: USA
Interesting. I'd go for another drive and see if I could recreate the situation. Take the IR with you.

#4071880 - 07/25/20 01:26 PM Re: Odd heat at both rear tires after seal and bearing [Re: Brett04]
gDMJoe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Timbuk3, MI
Check that the rear brakes and/or parking brakes are stuck or hanging-up.

-click the Vic-

#4072858 - 08/03/20 08:49 PM Re: Odd heat at both rear tires after seal and bearing [Re: Brett04]
Brett04 Offline
n00b

Loc: Southern PA
I checked the brakes as suggested by gDMJoe. They are not hanging up. All components are turning freely.

I took it out for a short drive tonight (maybe 20 minutes at various speeds, including highway speeds) with the IR Thermometer, as suggested by metalpanther.

The outside air temperature was about 70° F. After the drive, the front of the differential (right around where the pinion bearing is located) was reading about 145°. The cover on the back was reading around 130°.

How hot is too hot for a differential?

Who's Online
5 registered (vin48, magic, LTC_Dave, 3fords1, 1 invisible), 56 Guests and 263 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 192
BigMerc96 78
ClayBelt 75
Old_Guy_Stu 66
Ponyguy 61
TheCableGuy 58
Moby_Vic 57
a_d_a_m 57
Psxmoe 43
RF_Overlord 36
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!