Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4072570 - 08/01/20 09:14 AM 2004 CVPI clock spring replacement
Patstang Offline

Loc: Sheboygan,Wisconsin
Spent time searching forum but, can't find what I need. Replaced lower steering shaft before but, this time I had problems getting bolts back in easily. Tires were straight but, I rotated steering wheel ( upper shaft) to get lower shaft to get bolted. Like a dummy , I thought that I could just turn car on & rotate steering wheel for easier access to the bolt without jacking the car up. spun the shaft and had to take it off again. That info was to give you the scenario. anyway, it got together & I did a lock to lock turn to the right first. no problem. To the left, I heard crunching and then the horn was blaring and the airbag light flashed.

Got the new clock spring but, my question is: My tires are pointing forward and the steering wheel is in the forward position, will I be able to just pull the old spring and install the new one without worrying that the spring will break due to me turning wheel prior to breaking it ?

I searched the internet for weeks trying to find a you tube video or anything on Google for 2004 Vics. On the inner piece, there is an arrow on the old one that is still in the car pointing about 1 o'clock. Is that arrow important for position ? Got to get this car on the road again. I'll name a child after whoever can guide me.

Thanks.

2006 Mustang GT, Hurst, JLT/shaker meld, Boomtubes, dynoed.

2003 Mercury Marauder, Kooks, K & N, High flow cats, and ???.

Links
#4072588 - 08/01/20 11:21 AM Re: 2004 CVPI clock spring replacement [Re: Patstang]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I can't remember exactly, but I believe the arrow should be pointing straight up with everything centered. That denotes the center position of the clock spring, which is really a coil of ribbon cable that winds/unwinds as you turn the wheel, sounds like yours was off center and over extended and broke. You want the clock spring in its neutral/centered position with the wheels straight ahead and steering wheel centered as close as possible when you reassemble it.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

Who's Online
6 registered (bluejay_32, HavocMan, Lundy05, Danger2manifold, Jasper425, 1 invisible), 80 Guests and 115 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 186
BigMerc96 75
ClayBelt 68
Old_Guy_Stu 63
Ponyguy 62
a_d_a_m 61
TheCableGuy 55
Moby_Vic 52
RF_Overlord 37
Psxmoe 36
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!