Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4075156 - 08/22/20 11:00 AM Re: Antifreeze [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
124neta Offline
don't get riled, sugar!
Poobah

Loc: Il
Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
Possibly with your mods you could benefit from a police radiator (I'm assuming they're bigger than the civi model because police cars idle all day).

I don't believe there is any difference in radiators. They sure look the same to me. The police do have the added benefit of engine oil cooler, but that heat ultimately needs to be removed through coolant.

Panthers, especially with added oil cooler, I think are more than capable of having one point of failure(like a t-stat not opening properly)while and having the overheating fly under the radar(no temp warnings).

Links
#4075162 - 08/22/20 12:15 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: ford05]
2011LX Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SE WI
All modern vehicle's cooling capacities are well into overkill territory. Aluminum/plastic radiators and electric cooling fans are miles better than the old vehicles 2-3 core brass/copper radiators and clutch fans with half assed shrouds. Not to mention how efficient modern AC systems are, the condenser not having as much of an impact on radiator capacity

Nowadays, if you're overheating, you have a real problem. Not poor capacity

No police specific radiator.

Medium Light Stone interior

#4075202 - 08/22/20 09:29 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: 124neta]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By 124neta
Originally Posted By 2007CrownVic

Using antifreeze cools better then straight water. Not having the right mix is probably what's causing your noticeable temperature rise at idle.

Antifreeze reduces boiling point, it doesn't "improve" cooling aspects of the fluid in the system on any other level. As pointed out by someone else already in the thread, water alone transfers heat better.

That said, I think most people are getting blinded by this coincidence of cooling flush.

I think the car has been doing this for some time, you just noticed now because you are monitoring temps.

I also think that the easiest and most probable point of failure here is the thermostat.

Antifreeze raises boiling point it doesn't lower it.

If this problem has been going on for a while then yeah it's something to worry about. If not then get the mix back to where it's supposed to be and then figure out what's wrong if the problem is still there.

#4075212 - 08/22/20 10:46 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: ford05]
gDMJoe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Timbuk3, MI
Quote:
ford05 - Im just trying to flush out old coolant to add new. ...

Misunderstood ... What was meant by running, was routine driving.

I did read that you were using water to flush the system, however, somewhere in your posts I thought you were also driving around without adding antifreeze.

Never mind. And carry-on .....

#4075254 - 08/23/20 01:41 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: gDMJoe]
ford05 Online   content
Poobah

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By gDMJoe
Quote:
ford05 - Im just trying to flush out old coolant to add new. ...

Misunderstood ... What was meant by running, was routine driving.

I did read that you were using water to flush the system, however, somewhere in your posts I thought you were also driving around without adding antifreeze.

Never mind. And carry-on .....

Joe you were right all along.
I was driving around town to get that water and antifreeze to mix well. I want to make sure that I get all the green out.

As of right now, I am replacing the thermostat, adding the g05 pure antifreeze and also replacing the OEM water pump just in case. I have a new stewart high flow water pump stored which I never got around to install.

If after this im still having issues then I will have to look else where. So right now I have removed thermostat and water pump. I believe this leaves me with 2-2.6 gallons of distilled water in block correct?
So I'll put 100% antifreeze there thermostat housing and another gallon through reservoir?

#4075256 - 08/23/20 01:48 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: ford05]
ford05 Online   content
Poobah

I would like to point out that my oem water pump which has less then 4k miles on it smells like burnt toast. Its very well intact meaning there is no wiggle no where but it smells like burnt and also spins very freely with out any resistance.

don't know if this is normal or not?

#4075258 - 08/23/20 02:44 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: ford05]
RF_Overlord Online   content

Poobah

Loc: MA
ford05, not sure if you're aware of the proper refill procedure (per the factory service manual):

Remove thermostat, reservoir cap, and the heater return hose from the nipple on the back passenger side of the intake manifold.

Fill with 50/50 coolant mix through the thermostat opening until coolant starts to flow out of the heater hose nipple.

Reconnect/reinstall everything but the reservoir cap, fill the reservoir to the MAX (or HOT) line and run the engine until the level in the reservoir drops.

Replace the cap and allow the engine to cool.

Add more coolant as necessary to restore the reservoir level to the COLD line.

Done.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4075260 - 08/23/20 02:52 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: ford05]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
There's something to be said about doing one thing at a time when you are trying to fix a problem. Doing 2,3,or even more things can give you the right results, but won't mean much in tracking down the culprit.

Prestone green isn't the same as Ford green. When I first got my car, I didn't know any better and went with the Prestone. At one time I did all the distiled water flushing in an attempt to go back to the Ford green. After 20 gallons and still not clear, I gave up and just stayed with the Prestone. That's what I still use. After a couple or 3 years, it will have an orangeish or light brown color. Keeps me honest on cooling system maintenance.

My bet is you'll fix the problem with a new thermostat. Last year, mine started getting erratic according to the temp gauge. Sometimes low, sometimes normal. Slow to warm up. I have a 5 mile drive to and from work, and it would barely get to operating temperature before I got done. I never looked at the numbers until after I replaced it with a new Motorcraft piece. Now it is at the middle of the gauge within about 2 miles. It will hover around that +/- a couple degrees. I don't know if it had ever been replaced before I got the car, so it could have been anywhere from 15 to 23 years old.

#4075262 - 08/23/20 03:03 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: RF_Overlord]
ford05 Online   content
Poobah

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
ford05, not sure if you're aware of the proper refill procedure (per the factory service manual):

Remove thermostat, reservoir cap, and the heater return hose from the nipple on the back passenger side of the intake manifold.

Fill with 50/50 coolant mix through the thermostat opening until coolant starts to flow out of the heater hose nipple.

Reconnect/reinstall everything but the reservoir cap, fill the reservoir to the MAX (or HOT) line and run the engine until the level in the reservoir drops.

Replace the cap and allow the engine to cool.

Add more coolant as necessary to restore the reservoir level to the COLD line.

Done.

So instead of using 100% antifreeze, I should use 50/50?

#4075264 - 08/23/20 03:06 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: Rootintootin]
ford05 Online   content
Poobah

Originally Posted By Rootintootin
There's something to be said about doing one thing at a time when you are trying to fix a problem. Doing 2,3,or even more things can give you the right results, but won't mean much in tracking down the culprit.

Prestone green isn't the same as Ford green. When I first got my car, I didn't know any better and went with the Prestone. At one time I did all the distiled water flushing in an attempt to go back to the Ford green. After 20 gallons and still not clear, I gave up and just stayed with the Prestone. That's what I still use. After a couple or 3 years, it will have an orangeish or light brown color. Keeps me honest on cooling system maintenance.

My bet is you'll fix the problem with a new thermostat. Last year, mine started getting erratic according to the temp gauge. Sometimes low, sometimes normal. Slow to warm up. I have a 5 mile drive to and from work, and it would barely get to operating temperature before I got done. I never looked at the numbers until after I replaced it with a new Motorcraft piece. Now it is at the middle of the gauge within about 2 miles. It will hover around that +/- a couple degrees. I don't know if it had ever been replaced before I got the car, so it could have been anywhere from 15 to 23 years old.

I have all these parts laying around. I honestly don't want to go ahead and replace one part and then have to do another. I normally don't go out and start buying parts like crazy. I have these stored away so I will go ahead and swap them. I even have a spare working fan.

You might be right though, this issue might just be the thermostat. I have a feeling it is.

#4075266 - 08/23/20 03:17 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: ford05]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

I know how that works. I've had a new Motorcraft water pump for about 4-5 years now, from when I thought it might be leaking. I even got a NOS oil cooler, mostly because it has a new set of the old style hoses mine uses. I think if I could find a new set of silicon hoses, I'd replace everything. But maybe not, I'm getting to where I don't enjoy this as much as I used to. Everything is just stashed under my bed.

#4075368 - 08/24/20 03:02 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: ford05]
gDMJoe Offline

Poobah

Quote:
ford05 ...So instead of using 100% antifreeze, I should use 50/50?

For where you live ... ALWAYS 50/50.

And NEVER 100% antifreeze.

-click the Vic-

#4075376 - 08/24/20 04:12 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: gDMJoe]
ford05 Online   content
Poobah

Originally Posted By gDMJoe
Quote:
ford05 ...So instead of using 100% antifreeze, I should use 50/50?

For where you live ... ALWAYS 50/50.

And NEVER 100% antifreeze.

But wouldnt the 100% antifreeze mix with the water thats left in the block making it a close 50/50 mix?

#4075378 - 08/24/20 05:42 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: ford05]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

I'd say it would be somewhere between 0 and 100%. Could be about 50%.

I don't think the block holds 2 1/2 gallons. When I do mine, I usually manage to drain about 10 Qts. out of the system. I think I read somewhere that there is 14 Qts. total. That only leaves 1 gallon in the block and other parts away from the radiator. Refer to your Owner's Manual.

I quit wasting my time trying to get it down to just pure water. Wastes too much time and water. I might give it an additional distilled water fill and drain, depending on how the old stuff looks.

I buy 2 gallons of straight antifreeze and 2 gallons of distilled water for refilling. Mix at a 1:1 ratio for 50%. That, with whatever watery stuff is in the block, is close enough for the local climate. And leaves enough to last until the next change for topping off, if necessary. Or I might get a wild hair and decide to go ahead and do another complete drain and refill, off schedule. Just so I don't have the stuff sitting around for 2-3 years.

#4075382 - 08/24/20 05:54 PM Re: Antifreeze [Re: ford05]
gDMJoe Offline

Poobah

Quote:
ford05 - But wouldnt the 100% antifreeze mix with the water thats left in the block making it a close 50/50 mix?

The end mix needs to be 50/50. How you get to that point macht nichts.

Just never run 100% antifreeze.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (akr619), 113 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!