Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4075550 - 08/25/20 11:31 PM Rusty Fuel Rails
CrystalPistol Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: The Shenandoah Valley of Va.
I expect a bit of dust and some tarnishing of aluminum under the hood of a driver, things like the alternator, etc. … it's to be expected.

Was looking at the Merc today, when it cools off steady and threats of severe storm subside, I'm going to swap on my intake that I bulletproofed, but my eyes get drawn to rusty patches on the chrome of the fuel rail. It doesn't leak, the seals don't leak and likely the cups are fine where the injector seals are, but I'm thinking of getting a new set of rails or maybe I can polish the rust away with chrome polish and clear coat them … or just paint them? Thinking about the rubber crossover lines too, though they seam OK. Found NOS on Ebay reasonable for a '01, correct fittings.

Anyone else fret over rust spots on fuel rails?

2001 MercGM since 2001, 93K miles, Addco F&R, Bilstein HDs, J-mod, factory duals, Reese Hidden Hitch, AirLifts, Weathertech, XM, easy on gas, 17x7s with Goodyear RS-As make a smooth ride. All as of January 2020

Links
#4076208 - 09/01/20 12:27 PM Re: Rusty Fuel Rails [Re: CrystalPistol]
CrystalPistol Offline

Over the Hill

It was just some scattered splotches, use of some GM Chrome Polish erased it, made look new again.

Good stuff, I used to use it on my bicycle rims in the '60s.

Dad had some I inherited, good stuff, wonder if it's still available? Not that I need more, but so many old products have gone away, just curious.

Edited by CrystalPistol (09/01/20 04:45 PM)

2001 MercGM since 2001, 93K miles, Addco F&R, Bilstein HDs, J-mod, factory duals, Reese Hidden Hitch, AirLifts, Weathertech, XM, easy on gas, 17x7s with Goodyear RS-As make a smooth ride. All as of January 2020

#4076222 - 09/01/20 02:21 PM Re: Rusty Fuel Rails [Re: CrystalPistol]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By CrystalPistol

.... so many old products have gone away.....

I guess that's what happens when they can't figure out a way to make it more profitable to ship it here from half way around the world in Chi-na.
97 CVPI(Ex. Tampa PD #715), 140K miles, performance Torque converter, J-modded valve body. Monroe Gas Magnum Severe Duty shocks, Ported Plenum and 70mm FRPP Throttle body

#4076234 - 09/01/20 04:46 PM Re: Rusty Fuel Rails [Re: Rootintootin]
CrystalPistol Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Rootintootin
Originally Posted By CrystalPistol

.... so many old products have gone away.....

I guess that's what happens when they can't figure out a way to make it more profitable to ship it here from half way around the world in Chi-na.

Sadly, I think you're right.

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 58 Guests and 286 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 218
Old_Guy_Stu 119
a_d_a_m 111
DudeAbides 95
Ponyguy 71
CrystalPistol 48
Moby_Vic 43
Davidzq 42
ClayBelt 42
Bangster 37
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!