Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4080824 - 10/15/20 10:14 PM Torque converter question
fenster Offline
n00b

Loc: Georgia
This week I've been working on a transmission swap. My car is a 2005 Crown Vic, and the transmission was removed from a 2005 Grand Marquis. The tag on the original transmission indicates a 10/2004 production and the tag on the replacement transmission indicates 04/2004 production.

My dilemma - The replacement has a larger torque converter. Assuming that both converters are in good condition, is it important that I use the larger or smaller?

Links
#4080882 - 10/16/20 12:12 PM Re: Torque converter question [Re: fenster]
TheShadow Online   content

Over the Hill

Loc: SoCal High Desert
Considering what you found fluid-wise in the original tranny, I would stick with the 'new' TC that came with the replacement. The difference between the two will probably never be felt, or needed, by 95% of the people who drive these cars.

You'll never get all of the debris out of the old TC, and that's likely what did damage to the internals of the old tranny's internals.
Taxicab mechanic: I HATE DRIVERS!

#4080888 - 10/16/20 01:15 PM Re: Torque converter question [Re: fenster]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
^^What he said. If it has a larger torque converter than what you had, then your car must be a P71. If that is the case, then you'll find the Grand Marquis transmission is actually shorter. You'll either need to use the steel GMQ driveshaft, or get a spacer for the pinion flange to use the aluminum driveshaft. You can use the aluminum driveshaft without a spacer but it doesn't leave very much spline contact at the transmission end so its not ideal. P71s and Town Cars (because they have a 3" longer wheelbase) use the longer output shaft so that they can use a shorter/lighter driveshaft while the rest used the shorter version. A lot of trucks also used both versions depending on wheelbase.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#4080942 - 10/16/20 08:19 PM Re: Torque converter question [Re: BigMerc96]
fenster Offline
n00b

Good info, thanks to both of you. My car is actually an LX and the donor car a Grand Marquis, so I'm not sure why mine would have the smaller converter. Regardless, the fluid in both transmissions is clean enough that I don't have a fear of using either converter. I'll take some measurements on everything tomorrow and see what I have.

Originally Posted By BigMerc96
^^What he said. If it has a larger torque converter than what you had, then your car must be a P71. If that is the case, then you'll find the Grand Marquis transmission is actually shorter. You'll either need to use the steel GMQ driveshaft, or get a spacer for the pinion flange to use the aluminum driveshaft. You can use the aluminum driveshaft without a spacer but it doesn't leave very much spline contact at the transmission end so its not ideal. P71s and Town Cars (because they have a 3" longer wheelbase) use the longer output shaft so that they can use a shorter/lighter driveshaft while the rest used the shorter version. A lot of trucks also used both versions depending on wheelbase.

#4080944 - 10/16/20 08:28 PM Re: Torque converter question [Re: fenster]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By fenster
My car is actually an LX so I'm not sure why mine would have the smaller converter.
Maybe your car is a police impersonator... biggrin
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4080950 - 10/16/20 09:26 PM Re: Torque converter question [Re: RF_Overlord]
fenster Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
Originally Posted By fenster
My car is actually an LX so I'm not sure why mine would have the smaller converter.
Maybe your car is a police impersonator... biggrin

Just doing some reading, here's what I see:
- P74, so LX.
- Dual exhaust
- 3.27 axle code (Z5)
- Smaller (11.25" I guess) torque converter

This would seem to indicate the HPP model, though if I'm reading correctly HPP wasn't offered as a package in 2005, only as an LX Sport. This car doesn't have the rest of the LX Sport stuff like the floor shifter/console.

I'll upload some pics after I figure out how it works on this site.

Edited by fenster (10/16/20 09:41 PM)

#4080998 - 10/17/20 01:18 PM Re: Torque converter question [Re: fenster]
fenster Offline
n00b

Both transmissions measured the same, so no issues so far. I just finished the dance of lining up the bellhousing and converter and got a few bolts in to lock everything in place. I'll get back at it after a lunch break.

Who's Online
1 registered (Same), 58 Guests and 266 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 218
Old_Guy_Stu 119
a_d_a_m 99
DudeAbides 92
Ponyguy 75
CrystalPistol 50
ClayBelt 43
Moby_Vic 43
Davidzq 42
Bangster 39
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!