Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#3542569 - 02/10/17 04:49 PM Re: Reliability of Blue Silicone Hoses [Re: 73vwTodd]
dubch87 Offline

Climber

Loc: NC
Revisiting this... I work slowly.

Originally Posted By 73vwTodd

All "blue" silicone hoses from 95-02 that I've seen in the yard are blue inside and out. The hoses from 2003 to 2011 are blue on the outside with a brown layer on the inside.

They all have Ford part numbers on them too for what it's worth. I think they just designed them differently in 2003. Not sure what the brown inner core does that the blue outer core does not?

EDIT: I just looked it up because I wasn't sure why they were doing that. I found a bunch of performance sites that were selling aftermarket cooling hoses, and apparently the brown inner-core is a type of silicone that has a higher tinsel strength. All the quality performance silicone hoses have that brown inner core for added strength. I guess Ford decided to up the quality in 2003 over the previous years.

I never installed the silicone hoses, because no matter what I tried, the inside never came clean. I scrubbed, soaked, used everything I could think of and could not remove the caked-on rust.

A couple of months ago, I came across an '05 in the yard with silicone hoses. Someone had already removed the hood, fenders, wiper tray, radiator, and header panel. I looked inside a hose and saw that it was perfectly clean, so I grabbed them all in what must have been the fastest radiator hose removal in history.

With that said, I think there must be something else special with the orange inside of the 03+ hoses, because these things just rinse out. I looked at an '07 and '09 at the yard today, and they all had perfectly clean hoses as well. There's usually a bit of "residue", but nothing like the all blue hoses on the -02.

Just FYI... I haven't even touched the one on the left. The hoses from the 99 never did come clean.

Also (if anyone is still reading this), I'm not sure why it took me so long to think of this, but is there any reason I can't use an oil cooler instead of buying a straight piece of silicone hose and an adapter, or getting someone to roll the ends of a pipe? Not hooking up the oil lines, of course. An oil cooler is $15 at LKQ, and seems like it would be less trouble since it's a direct fit.

Mods go here.

Links
#3542745 - 02/10/17 06:45 PM Re: Reliability of Blue Silicone Hoses [Re: 73vwTodd]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Loc: AZ
You can just the oil cooler or a piece of pipe. I have a set that I plan to retro-fit soon. I'm going to use a pipe. I'm going to use a piece of pipe. I've had one in my Amazon cart forever now. Then I'm going make a bead on each end with some welding pliers or something. That's basically the cheapest, easiest way if you don't have a bead roller. The pipe costs more than the $15 cooler though. It's probably way heavier though.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

2005 Grand Marquis GS Two Tone Edition

Vibrant White over Arizona Beige

The GS Two Tone Package includes:
� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� LS style body side moldings
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)
� two tone interior (mine is leather and includes embossed logos on the seats)
� front door sill plates that say �Grand Marquis�

CarDomain

Facebook

#3997540 - 12/03/18 08:43 PM Re: Reliability of Blue Silicone Hoses [Re: 73vwTodd]
dubch87 Offline

Climber

Resurrecting... again. Can't believe these hoses have been sitting around for four years.

I noticed that the 03+ upper radiator hose (orange inside) is a different shape than what's on my NPI 2000, and it wasn't fitting between my radiator and thermostat housing. Overall they appear to be the same length, but the angles are different. I know the location of the power steering fluid reservoir moved from the timing cover to the fan shroud, and it looks like it's designed to angle around that.

However, I also noticed while comparing years that the angle of the thermostat housing changed in 01 (I guess for PI intake manifolds, for whatever reason?). Would swapping to the 90° t-stat housing solve this angling issue with the hose? I wouldn't think there is a difference between the aluminum cross-overs on the manifolds between NPI and PI that would prevent this from being a direct swap. Although now that I've written all this it does look like the bolt holes are different sizes.

Motorcraft RH115

Motorcraft RH44

Mods go here.

#3999430 - 12/28/18 02:57 PM Re: Reliability of Blue Silicone Hoses [Re: dubch87]
dubch87 Offline

Climber

To answer my own question... NO! The 03+ upper radiator hose will not fit, period. It's very close using both thermostat housings, but not close enough. It may fit if the power steering fluid reservoir wasn't in the way, but I'm not entirely convinced.

The 03+ heater core hoses and reservoir overflow hose are a direct fit. I would put the 02- upper radiator hose on if I could ever get the inside clean. That stuff is caked on like cement.

Mods go here.

#3999438 - 12/28/18 04:08 PM Re: Reliability of Blue Silicone Hoses [Re: 73vwTodd]
Lance01 Offline

Loc: Pa
Don't know if you guys know, but on the website Rockauto, Continental has high temperature blue EPDM hoses made just for the P71 Crown Victoria. They can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

I just put them on my Crown Victoria for a fraction of the price of the blue silicone hoses and they use standard hose clamps. My engine bay now looks great and they should last the life of the car really.

This isn't the 80s guys, all coolant hoses these days are EPDM and are very high quality and reinforced. Silicone hoses are totally unnecessary except for extreme duty use, race, or situations where high under hood temperatures will be seen such as turbocharged applications.

#4081016 - 10/17/20 02:06 PM Re: Reliability of Blue Silicone Hoses [Re: 73vwTodd]
my2008P71 Offline

Loc: Florida/orlando
I know everyone wants the blue hoses, but has anyone ever even had an issue with the black ones?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
1 registered (GregY), 62 Guests and 250 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 222
a_d_a_m 86
av8or1 83
DudeAbides 67
Old_Guy_Stu 61
ClayBelt 45
RF_Overlord 34
Ponyguy 34
Davidzq 33
Moby_Vic 29
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!