Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4084856 - 11/18/20 12:36 PM Additional Transmission oil cooler?
1990CrownVic Offline

Loc: Chile
Hi,

I have a 2002 Crown Vic and from time to time I have to drive it in very hilly areas, and I was thinking if it would be useful to install an additional transmission oil cooler. I put an additional one in my 1990 CV (that just has the integrated radiator cooler) and helped a lot, but this 2002 is different because it doesn’t have a cooler in the radiator and it just has the external cooler (I understand that it is for the transmission and power steering).

So, the question is: it is worth to install an additional TOC in my 2002? I bought this one some years ago form Ford, but I’m not sure if it would be useful, because I read that the OE one is capable enough, at least for "normal use":

[img:center][/img]

Also, if the answer is yes: where it should be mounted? In front of the condenser? Behind the radiator?
Just to give more context, here’s a pic of the road that I go through from time to time:

[img:center]http://[/img]

And here’s a video. The first 2 minutes is a map, and from minute 11-12 you can see the curves (yes, I live in Santiago, Chile): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoWdLo4jum8

My main concern is the excessive shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. I don’t want to overheat my transmission :-)

Also, with my family, when we travel to the south of Chile (about 500 miles from the capitol) we like to go to the Osorno volcano, with a similar road. Here’s a video (sorry for the crappy video, but I couldn’t find other):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m34t1mKh698

Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
1990 Ford Crown Victoria LX: New water pump/new air pump/New Visteon radiator/Transmission oil cooler/ New heater core/hoses/belts/No more vinyl roof/New valve cover gaskets/New ignition module/New ignition coil/Completely rebuilt front end/Headlamps: Bosch H4 with Osram 60/55w bulbs and Cibie H1 with Osram 55w bulbs/Suspension: Front: new Moog rubber bushings, heavy duty civilian coil springs, Monroe SensaTrac load adjusting shock absorbers, wagon sway bar and poly bushings and endlinks. Rear: new Raybestos rubber bushings, sedan cargo coils, Monroe Max Air shock absorbers and police sway bar/3.55 gears and Dual Exhaust.
Next Project: HO Conversion.
2002 Ford Crown Victoria Base. Suspension. Front:Completely rebuilt front end, rubber control arms bushings, Police coil springs, Addco sway bar, Bilstein shock absorbers, and poly bushings and endlinks. Rear: Addco sway bar, Bilstein shock absorbers and cargo coils/Dual Exhaust/3.55 gears.

Links
#4084880 - 11/18/20 02:28 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Here's what I said back in 2016:

I would put the aux cooler after the primary one, and here's why:

The primary cooler has a thermostatic bypass to allow the fluid to warm up when the ambient temp is cold. If you put your cooler inline before the factory cooler, you may in effect "over-cool" the fluid to the extent that the bypass stays that way and you lose the benefit of the second cooler. If you put yours after the primary cooler, the bypass will function normally and you will still get the benefit of the aux cooler when needed.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4084922 - 11/18/20 07:48 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
Lance01 Offline
Climber

Loc: Pa
The other option is to just replace the transmission fluid more often. If you cycle out your fluid every 12k miles and your transmission has the J-mod your transmission should have a long service life.

#4084924 - 11/18/20 08:44 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
More cooling sure won't hurt, especially on those hills. Inline after the OE cooler is best; that's how they run 'em on pickup trucks with the trailer-towing package. In front of the condenser is best.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July '19, Aug '20, Oct '21, Feb '23, 64K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4084930 - 11/18/20 09:21 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
That doesn't look like a cooler with a built in bypass (they can be thermostatic or the clearance is so tight that only hot fluid is "thin" enough to travel through the cooler.

I don't think it would over cool the transmission, and like others state after the OEM is best (more important for an in tank fluid to fluid exchanger like the older panther).

But that road! I am sure I would over do it and kill a family or 2.
63 Falcon 302
82 F-150
97 Mark VIII LSC (RIP)
2017 Escape SE (RIP)
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
2019 Edge SEL 2.0 GTDI 8 speed auto

#4084938 - 11/18/20 10:08 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
I added a similar looking auxiliary transmission fluid cooler to our '01 Mercury plumbed into the return line from OEM cooler back to transmission a good 15 years ago when I put a hitch on it, before we took several trips out to the southwest, crossing the Rockies, etc. It hangs from that bar across in front of the main radiator and then two metal straps extend down to below radiator. Used transmission Fluid cooler hose. J-modded it medium in '14 @ 76,xxx miles.

I did the same to my '95 T-bird LX 4.6 and my '77 F-150 with C-6, many years ago. Both are still going.

Edited by CrystalPistol (11/18/20 10:15 PM)

________________________________________ ____________________
Problems huh? Then Read THE Book. Signed: Natural Borne Neanderthal .

#4084942 - 11/18/20 10:37 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
LTC_Dave Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By 1990CrownVic

[img:center][/img]

This is a tube and fin style cooler, its practically useless as a transmission cooler.

The factory 98+ external transmission cooler is more than adequate.

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/tranny/cooler/pictures/index.html

***06 LTC Signature Limited, Silver Birch, 18 Year Old GPS Maps, Movie Theater Audio, Hole-N-Roof, Seat Toaster, TheSunIsMyEnemy Windows,***POTM 06/18 - 10/18***, Garage Queen
Click to reveal...
P.I. zip tube and airbox, Mo's tune, Mach 1 chin spoiler, 4 tone horns, 18" Mustang Premium wheels, UltraGauge, 20% Tint, J-mod, 03 Fogs, Bluetooth FM transmitter, Wired back up camera. Dynomax UltraFlows
***00 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, Spruce Green, 5.0 HO, AWD, Highly Optioned, J-mod, GlassPacks and "high flow" cats, Kenwood radio, UltraGauge, 200k.

***94 Ford Ranger XLT, 3L, 5 Speed. 82k. 01 Mustang wheels. Easy mods and repairs. Daily
***02 Honda Accord, 213k. VTEC YO

#4084968 - 11/19/20 06:46 AM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
You can put a deep pan on the trans for a little extra fluid capacity, which will extend fluid life by spreading the heat over 2 extra quarts. They usually come with a drain plug, too. It won't help with cooling per se, but the fluid will take longer to overheat in extreme use situations.

What's the temperature like in Chile? I know you've got some extreme elevation there, which calls for more cooling just because the air is thinner.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July '19, Aug '20, Oct '21, Feb '23, 64K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4084972 - 11/19/20 09:59 AM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
Lance01 Offline
Climber

In addition to what old guy stu said I looked through your signature and didn't see the jmod listed as a modification.

In case you didn't know the jmod allows the clutch packs to engage more quickly with minimal slippage so this extends the service life of the transmission and less slippage also means the transmission creates less heat.

#4084974 - 11/19/20 10:48 AM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: LTC_Dave]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Over to the passenger side of the radiator are two lines that pass the radiator, the top one is marked "TOP", it comes FROM the transmission going to OEM cooler. Below it is the line that leads from the OEM cooler going back TO the transmission.
I plumbed my cooler into the lower return line.

A lot of air flows in under the bumper ahead of the car's radiator so I mounted mine low.

Originally Posted By LTC_Dave
[quote=1990CrownVic]
This is a tube and fin style cooler, its practically useless as a transmission cooler.
While there are better ones out there ... that doesn't relegate these to uselessness.

Originally Posted By LTC_Dave
The factory 98+ external transmission cooler is more than adequate.
For sure in most of North America, but summer in the high mountains with steep laborious winding climbs that demand frequent shifts and TC slip can tax even a freshly filled with Mercon-V 4R70W if pulling a loaded Panther on it's back.

Edited by CrystalPistol (11/19/20 11:50 AM)

#4084986 - 11/19/20 02:32 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
1990CrownVic Offline

Thanks to all guys. Very, very useful information and advice here.

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
You can put a deep pan on the trans for a little extra fluid capacity, which will extend fluid life by spreading the heat over 2 extra quarts. They usually come with a drain plug, too. It won't help with cooling per se, but the fluid will take longer to overheat in extreme use situations.

What's the temperature like in Chile? I know you've got some extreme elevation there, which calls for more cooling just because the air is thinner.

Now we are starting the summer, and it's not rare to have 95 or 98 degrees. However, today we have pleaseant 70 :-)

Originally Posted By Lance01
In addition to what old guy stu said I looked through your signature and didn't see the jmod listed as a modification.

In case you didn't know the jmod allows the clutch packs to engage more quickly with minimal slippage so this extends the service life of the transmission and less slippage also means the transmission creates less heat.

Yes, indeed. It is in my "to do" list :-)

Originally Posted By CrystalPistol
Over to the passenger side of the radiator are two lines that pass the radiator, the top one is marked "TOP", it comes FROM the transmission going to OEM cooler. Below it is the line that leads from the OEM cooler going back TO the transmission.
I plumbed my cooler into the lower return line.

This is very, very useful information. Thanks!!

Originally Posted By CrystalPistol
For sure in most of North America, but summer in the high mountains with steep laborious winding climbs that demand frequent shifts and TC slip can tax even a freshly filled with Mercon-V 4R70W if pulling a loaded Panther on it's back.

Yes, indeed. That's why I'm concerned and I decided to ask here. In fact, here in Santiago or in Chile, in general I wouldn't need a TOC, but since we like to go to the mountains, and they are very close from the city, I prefer to be in the "better safe than sorry" side :-)

Thanks again to all of you for the advice.
1990 Ford Crown Victoria LX: New water pump/new air pump/New Visteon radiator/Transmission oil cooler/ New heater core/hoses/belts/No more vinyl roof/New valve cover gaskets/New ignition module/New ignition coil/Completely rebuilt front end/Headlamps: Bosch H4 with Osram 60/55w bulbs and Cibie H1 with Osram 55w bulbs/Suspension: Front: new Moog rubber bushings, heavy duty civilian coil springs, Monroe SensaTrac load adjusting shock absorbers, wagon sway bar and poly bushings and endlinks. Rear: new Raybestos rubber bushings, sedan cargo coils, Monroe Max Air shock absorbers and police sway bar/3.55 gears and Dual Exhaust.
2002 Ford Crown Victoria Base. Suspension. Front:Completely rebuilt front end, rubber control arms bushings, Police coil springs, Addco sway bar, Bilstein shock absorbers, and poly bushings and endlinks. Rear: Addco sway bar, Bilstein shock absorbers and cargo coils/Dual Exhaust/3.55 gears.

#4084996 - 11/19/20 04:12 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
That's a nice neat-looking job there, Mr. Pistol. double thumbs
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4085144 - 11/20/20 09:55 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: 1990CrownVic]
Lance01 Offline
Climber

On a major side note, back in the late 1990s I had a female friend from Chile. She and her brother were adopted by a really good family here in United States. She was the sweetest girl you could ever meet and legitimately a good girl.

We went to the same high school for 4 years and we use to meet up in the summertime at a well known park to walk our dogs. Sadly just as she graduated nursing school she was murdered by her then boyfriend. I always get choked up whenever I think of her or Chile.

Edited by Lance01 (11/20/20 09:56 PM)

#4085194 - 11/21/20 06:37 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: Lance01]
1990CrownVic Offline

Originally Posted By Lance01
On a major side note, back in the late 1990s I had a female friend from Chile. She and her brother were adopted by a really good family here in United States. She was the sweetest girl you could ever meet and legitimately a good girl.

We went to the same high school for 4 years and we use to meet up in the summertime at a well known park to walk our dogs. Sadly just as she graduated nursing school she was murdered by her then boyfriend. I always get choked up whenever I think of her or Chile.

That's a very sad story. Sorry for your loss :-(

#4085214 - 11/21/20 11:18 PM Re: Additional Transmission oil cooler? [Re: RF_Overlord]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
That's a nice neat-looking job there, Mr. Pistol. double thumbs
Thank You Sir.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 78 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
RF_Overlord 32
Old_Guy_Stu 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!