Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4087542 - 12/10/20 11:04 PM A Guide to fixing Pass. Side Manifold Leak
YoungP71dude Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Hello, my crownvic.net brethren,

In this edition of late-night write up threads, I will give you my tips and tricks on how to fix that nasty passenger-side exhaust manifold leak WIHOUT removing the manifold (and breaking studs). I might make a video on this. Here's what you need:

1. Long neck flat-head screwdriver, pair of gloves, and some shop towels
2. Muffler cement/exhaust putty (you can easily find this at your local auto parts store)
3. Jack & jack stands (your OEM scissor jack works perfectly)
4. Breaker bar, 21mm socket, torque wrench, and tire iron (optional)
5. Ratchet and 8mm socket
6. Sheer willpower

First, make sure your car is on relatively level ground. You wanna work on it while the engine is cold. Get your lugnuts on the passenger side front wheel loose (but not off) and then jack up that section of the car. Remove the lugnuts off the wheel and take the wheel off.

For the next step you're gonna remove the wheel well. There are two 8mm bolt with giant washers up at the top near the fender. You're gonna remove those. (There might be a nut near the battery area. Not sure, my car had a stud but no nut on it.) Pop the hood; there are three wire connections clipped on the wheel well, and you can just pull them off. When you're done, move the wheel well around to where you can drop it. Now that it's out of the way, on to the fun part.

For a good bit of the manifold, you can apply the exhaust putty by hand. Get some putty on your glove finger and apply it right where the manifold meets the head. You're gonna need to access it from multiple angles (from the side and under the car, occasionally through tight areas). You won't be able to reach everywhere, but that's where the next part comes in. Get your long flat-head screwdriver and get some exhaust putty on it. The long neck will help you reach into all the narrow gaps and areas your hands can't reach. Wipe off any excess exhaust putty with your towels once you're done.

Once you've applied an adequate amount of exhaust putty, allow it to set for at least 2-3 hours (24 hours optimal). Until then, reinstall everything. Place the wheel well back in, clip the wires back in, screw those bolts back in (you don't need to torque them, this ain't screws holding your camshaft in).

I'm gonna assume most of us know how to change wheels, but if any of you don't know, here's a quickie. Lift the wheel back up onto the wheel bearing and thread the lugnuts back on by hand. If they're resisting, you're crossthreading them and you need to restart threading. Get them hand tight with the wheel flush with the wheel bearing. Lower your car just enough for the tire to touch the ground. Grab your torque wrench and torque each lugnut in a star pattern to 95 ft-lbs. Lower the car the rest of the way.

If you followed everything correctly, you have successfully eliminated the dreadful passenger-side exhaust leaking. No more annoyance in the cabin. The way this works is that the exhaust putty hardens into a cement-like substance that seals gaps and connections. This fixed it for me and now I know I have work to do on the other side. If you have any questions, let me know. Might post pictures tomorrow.

Cheers.

2004 P71 - 8/12/2019-present - Teenager-owned and maintained Ex-Sheriff Car w/ 87K miles
DIY 2.5" Catback Dual Exhaust; Posi 3.73 & Manual on the wishlist
Noico Sound Deadening
$370 Maaco Black Paint Job (self prep work)
Plowed by a minivan and still running better than ever.

Your imagination, DIY skills and wallet are the only limits when it comes to modifying a Panther car.

Links
#4087550 - 12/11/20 12:19 AM Re: A Guide to fixing Pass. Side Manifold Leak [Re: YoungP71dude]
CrystalPistol Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
Stuff will surprise you.

On my '77 F-150 with 351m, it was leaking where the right side head pipe mated to the cast iron manifold couple years ago. There is one stud left there in the cast iron, the other is a hole in the tab with a simple smaller bolt & nut through it. I have a set of spare manifolds that came off another engine, but that is a lot of work. I wanted to quieten it just until I got time to fix it right, so I applied that putty all around the joint over top the rust and all as I couldn't get a wire brush in there, then I wrapped a few rounds of stranded steel wire around it while the putty was still soft, then twist tied off the wire.

Let the now reinforced putty harden, it still doesn't leak, much quieter. I figured it would last a few weeks, but I was wrong.
I've been hated before. cool2 I still am by some maybe? shrug ... I got over it. cool

#4087576 - 12/11/20 11:19 AM Re: A Guide to fixing Pass. Side Manifold Leak [Re: YoungP71dude]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Uhhhh...O/P, just how long has this 'repair' lasted?

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#4087590 - 12/11/20 12:34 PM Re: A Guide to fixing Pass. Side Manifold Leak [Re: a_d_a_m]
YoungP71dude Offline

Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
Uhhhh...O/P, just how long has this 'repair' lasted?

TBD. Will see how it goes, but I've been surprised by how long the muffler cement lasts. The only time I've had it go bad is if the connections are bad (like my driver side downpipe). That manifold is basically fused on there for the time being so I'm willing to bet it will last. I will, of course, post updates.

2004 P71 - 8/12/2019-present - Teenager-owned and maintained Ex-Sheriff Car w/ 87K miles
Noico Sound Deadening

Your imagination, DIY skills and wallet are the only limits when it comes to modifying a Panther car.

#4088550 - 12/22/20 06:14 PM Re: A Guide to fixing Pass. Side Manifold Leak [Re: YoungP71dude]
YoungP71dude Offline

11 days in. Hasn't failed yet after errand runs here and there (as well as some pure fun). I got an 8-hour road trip coming up so I'll see how that goes.

Noico Sound Deadening

Who's Online
4 registered (bobb, CrownBen, Davidzq, BrainIsSlow), 67 Guests and 215 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 183
bluejay_32 176
Old_Guy_Stu 105
Ponyguy 59
Dmblanch 55
a_d_a_m 53
Moby_Vic 53
JeffBoudah 50
DudeAbides 47
Bangster 44
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!