Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4089242 - 12/28/20 09:05 PM U1041 Possibly reason for no cruise control??
thisisausername Offline
Stranger

Loc: CALIFORNIA
Part XX of who knows trying to get cruise control working on my 07 CVPI. I swapped the steering wheel, and had CC enabled by Ford, and no dice. Light doesn't even come on in the cluster. Noticed the mileage was off after I bought the car in June 2020 and confirmed with one of the previous owners that cluster had been swapped. I just got a OBDII interface and I pulled a U1041 code from the LCM.

Code: U1041 - Vehicle speed signal missing or incorrect

Probably my issue, now how to I go about fixing this? I noticed the firmware version on the cluster was from 2005, does this mean its from an older vic? Do I have to find a cluster from an 07+? Please go easy on me. Thanks all.

Links
#4089252 - 12/28/20 10:52 PM Re: U1041 Possibly reason for no cruise control?? [Re: thisisausername]
Davidzq Offline
Climber

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sounds like you've been swapped with an '06 cluster.
While they may look the same, they are different than the 07+ cluster.
For starters, they do not have a cruise control light at all.
Secondly, there is some programming differences that can result in some weird errors.

The VSS signal code is pretty common, I've found it in many vics I've plugged into, and it's never resulted in any noticeable issues.

But, none of this should not prevent your cruise control from working.
The ususal cause for cruise control to not work are the ON button failing (remember that cruise is OFF every time car is started, you must turn it on) due to dirty contacts inside the button. You can view the PIDs in FORSCAN to verify button operation.
Another common cause is the Cruise Deactivation Switch, which is the blue or green switch at the top of the brake pedal. You can rule this out by unplugging it, and jumping the two pins in the wiring harness together with some scrap wire or a paperclip.

2008 P71, Norsea Blue SAP
-Message Center cluster retrofit
-Towncar Signature L heated power seats
-Long overhead console
-Compustar remote start/security

#4089260 - 12/29/20 12:40 AM Re: U1041 Possibly reason for no cruise control?? [Re: Davidzq]
thisisausername Offline
Stranger

Thanks for the helpful insight. Glad FORSCAN can see button signals. I will get down to business hopefully tomorrow.

#4089382 - 12/29/20 11:06 PM Re: U1041 Possibly reason for no cruise control?? [Re: Davidzq]
thisisausername Offline
Stranger

I have returned with exciting news (at least for me)! I was able to miraculously figure out what sensor was used for the cruise control buttons and after monitoring that sensor to see which signals it received, I learned that every switch is working, except the ON switch. Hopefully this is the only rock in my shoe, now to go on cleaning the thing. Honestly without this reply I wonder how long it would have taken me to even realize I could test the buttons through FORScan. Thank you very much!

#4089418 - 12/30/20 08:54 AM Re: U1041 Possibly reason for no cruise control?? [Re: thisisausername]
Davidzq Offline
Climber

Loc: Seattle, WA
That ON button failing is pretty common.
Remove it, take it apart, clean up the contacts.

If they doesn't work, replace the button.

2008 P71, Norsea Blue SAP
-Message Center cluster retrofit
-Towncar Signature L heated power seats
-Long overhead console
-Compustar remote start/security

#4099852 - 03/01/21 12:40 AM Re: U1041 Possibly reason for no cruise control?? [Re: thisisausername]
Steve83 Offline

Poobah

Loc: Memphis, TN 38060, USA, Earth,...
(RESURRECTED)-------------------------------
This '08 P71's cruise buttons all test good at the PCM connector, and the SCDS is closed/hot; but cruise still won't engage, including above 40mph. The owner's manual doesn't mention anything disabling cruise other than the OFF button, or driving <30mph. Will these ABS &/or IC faults cause it to disable? They all re-appear instantly after clearing. Other than no cruise, the car drives perfectly, but I haven't tried to engage ABS. The brake, ABS, & several other warning lights are on solid.

(click this text)

Thanks for any insights.

Edited by Steve83 (03/01/21 12:44 AM)

. . .

#4099870 - 03/01/21 09:24 AM Re: U1041 Possibly reason for no cruise control?? [Re: thisisausername]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
Whoa, only when I saw it was a supermotors link did I look at the user name!

That is a lot of body and network faults. With all those faults and with the corresponding lights in the cluster on, I imagine they are related.

I assume that cruise at some point did work, so it is enabled and not just a wheel with the controls added.

#4099872 - 03/01/21 10:01 AM Re: U1041 Possibly reason for no cruise control?? [Re: thisisausername]
Steve83 Offline

Poobah

I'm not sure if the cruise ever worked. I forgot to mention that, when I checked the PIDs, the RESUME switch stayed OFF even when I pressed the button, and the SCCS said NOT SUPPORTED (or something like that). Does that mean it's not enabled?

. . .

#4100312 - 03/03/21 11:36 PM Re: U1041 Possibly reason for no cruise control?? [Re: thisisausername]
Steve83 Offline

Poobah

I got the ABS fault cleared temporarily, and cruise still wouldn't engage. So now I'm looking for someone with IDS to enable it.

. . .

Who's Online
1 registered (a_d_a_m), 46 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Old_Guy_Stu 108
bluejay_32 102
Dmblanch 67
a_d_a_m 60
RF_Overlord 47
GM_Guy 42
Moby_Vic 36
Ponyguy 30
Rootintootin 28
Tenevic_P71 28
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!