Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4090918 - 01/09/21 03:23 PM Radiator leak driver side middle side hook area
bspurloc Online   content
Climber

Loc: New England
Is this a known fault area possible crack or something?

I have a video showing the leaking area.
It's driver side middle side right at one of the hooks.
I'm just seeking info before I pull it so I know if I should get a new one or epoxy this one.
https://youtu.be/aEe48gwMP2E

Links
#4090924 - 01/09/21 04:42 PM Re: Radiator leak driver side middle side hook area [Re: bspurloc]
CrystalPistol Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
Originally Posted By bspurloc
Is this a known fault area possible crack or something?

I have a video showing the leaking area.
It's driver side middle side right at one of the hooks.
I'm just seeking info before I pull it so I know if I should get a new one or epoxy this one.
https://youtu.be/aEe48gwMP2E

Tighten the drain there. You can see it's running under the edge of it of the near white 6 sided knob, it may even be cracked so if it is, you'll need new drain c*ck. Check out Dorman 490218 ... or Ford. I think the few drop above probably sprayed from under the knob when it was hot and pressurized.

PS ... the mount tab for the fan shroud is cracked.

Edited by CrystalPistol (01/09/21 04:50 PM)

#4090948 - 01/09/21 08:09 PM Re: Radiator leak driver side middle side hook area [Re: CrystalPistol]
Climber

I was thinking that may have been what is leaking the drain plug.
I believe it leaked on the highway at high RPM's because I drove around normal today and dont see anything new its all drying up.
I did notice its wetter higher up though that I didnt get in the video.

Thanks for that info, it would make more sense.
This car did sustain a very severe T BONE into the passenger side 7 years ago and slowly odd things have popped up that almost all point to that violent collision. No show stoppers just odd things. Car is pretty solid 220k miles

#4090952 - 01/09/21 09:13 PM Re: Radiator leak driver side middle side hook area [Re: bspurloc]
TheShadow Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: SoCal High Desert
I've had radiator tanks crack around the hose nipples. Possibly from leaning too many times on the hose and weakening the plastic, more likely from thermal cycling and aging.

Curses at the aluminum/nylon changes from brass/copper!
Taxicab mechanic: I HATE DRIVERS!

#4090990 - 01/10/21 11:54 AM Re: Radiator leak driver side middle side hook area [Re: bspurloc]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Look at the rad and find the wet spot. Usually it'll be where the core meets the tanks or you'll see the rad is corroded. It's 18 years old could very well be time for a replacement. They don't last forever.

#4092148 - 01/17/21 02:20 PM Re: Radiator leak driver side middle side hook area [Re: bspurloc]
Climber

Blah... I can only see some wetness started middle driver side.
I poured water all over it so i could see a fresh area...

however a week later it isnt leaking anymore.
I think it leaked during some um high speed highway travels.
normal driving it doesnt appear to leak.
So anyway I was looking for some known failures.
If I pull it out im just going to jb weld it and put it back in lol.

#4092516 - 01/20/21 09:05 PM Re: Radiator leak driver side middle side hook area [Re: bspurloc]
YoungP71dude Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
You can rent a coolant pressure testing kit from your local AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc. Helped me find out where my manifold leak was.

When in doubt, flex tape/JB-weld. Definitely a band-aid fix, but will tide you over enough until you can replace it. I wouldn't rely on it, ask me how I know.

2004 P71 - 8/12/2019-present - Teenager-owned and maintained Ex-Sheriff Car w/ 87K miles
DIY 2.5" Catback Dual Exhaust; Posi 3.73 & Manual on the wishlist
Noico Sound Deadening
$370 Maaco Black Paint Job (self prep work)
Plowed by a minivan and still running better than ever.

Your imagination, DIY skills and wallet are the only limits when it comes to modifying a Panther car.

#4092698 - 01/21/21 10:57 PM Re: Radiator leak driver side middle side hook area [Re: bspurloc]
Climber

Yeah I can see some leaking halfway up at middle higher bracket. I just cant see where from.
It just made be at the seem to plastic which isnt really fixable with JB weld because you cant seal that area since the seem is the length of the radiator.
Ill probably just ignore this till after winter.
But a pressure tester would be a good idea, that's for that.
I can see the wetness but coming home after a 30min highway drive sitting in driveway with engine coolant at 200f ish its just not leaking anything.
I'm sort of baffled at what I originally found as it was a lot of coolant dripping.
I was about to put sealer in there but its not worth clogging the heater core especially mid winter.
I rather replace it than clog the heater core.
Thanks for the pressure test idea! somehow I forgot about that LOL.

Who's Online
3 registered (bspurloc, SDHOUHK07, 1 invisible), 59 Guests and 260 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 159
Old_Guy_Stu 88
CrystalPistol 80
a_d_a_m 77
TheCableGuy 57
DudeAbides 53
Ponyguy 49
Moby_Vic 47
Bangster 46
RF_Overlord 46
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!