Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4092454 - 01/20/21 01:31 PM New Whirring, Whining Noise
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Over the last 3-4 days, I've gotten a new noise. Kind of a whine or whirr. Engine speed and hot or cold. Started faint and now I can hear it over the radio inside the car. Not the regular transmission whine that I've had all along. Still hear that at highway speeds.

I always associated this type of noise with the transmission when I heard it on other cars, without any real experience with it.

Since it got so loud, I popped the hood and it sounds like it is coming from the top front of the engine. After some searching, I haven't got it IDed yet.

I thought maybe alternator, but I'm not having any electrical problems. No lights or dead/low battery. I loosened the belt and the tensioner and idler pulleys and alternator itself feel smooth and straight. I didn't think to feel the water pump before I put the belt back on.

Independent of this noise, since the belt is about 14-15 years old, I ordered a new one a week ago, which is supposed to get here later this week, early next week. I'll check everything I can see/feel/reach when that comes in.

Transmission fluid and power steering fluid are new and within limits. The tensioner came with the car 16 years ago and appears stock. No jumping or jerking and in the middle where it has always been. I replaced the alternator when I did the intake manifold about 14 years ago. It was a new Motorcraft 3G HD 130 model.

I'm a little leery of driving it as the noise has gotten louder so quickly, but so far, the noise is the only symptom. If I can figure out how, I'll get a sound clip loaded somewhere it will be available. Anybody have any ideas?
97 CVPI, 142K miles, small trans fluid leak from front seal area, water leaks to inside from evaporator housing and drivers side A pillar, cold weather glitch with wiper motor, headliner covering starting to flake off, tear in drivers seat bottom. Flickering, blinking radio display, What's next?

Links
#4092458 - 01/20/21 01:47 PM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
TheCableGuy Online   content
Climber

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
You could always take the belt off, and crank the car and see if the noise is still present, that would eliminate if it’s pulleys/tensioner etc and something internal and such.

Not related to the panther platform but my work truck(2013 F150) had a very weird whine noise that lasted for a few months. Since I’m not allowed to do any work myself on this vehicle I have to have shops do it. They changed the alt pulley, power steering pump and pulley to no avail and then told me it’s normal. It was intermittent. Sometimes it would lasts for hours, other times a few minutes. Well one day the water pump literally seized up and that was it all along.

I’m a classical textbook over-thinker.

#4092468 - 01/20/21 01:59 PM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

I did find a YT video where the water pump was shot, but the sound was off. It could have been the quality of the video. I will keep an eye on the temp gauge. I haven't been having any problems with engine cooling since I put in a new t'stat recently.

I've had a new water pump sitting under my bed waiting for probably 4-5 years. It might be time.
97 CVPI, 142K miles, small trans fluid leak from front seal area, water leaks to inside from evaporator housing and drivers side A pillar, cold weather glitch with wiper motor, headliner covering starting to flake off, tear in drivers seat bottom. Flickering, blinking radio display, What's next?

#4092500 - 01/20/21 05:15 PM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
The alternator could very well have a bad bearing or two and still function and make power, so don't discount that.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4092514 - 01/20/21 08:58 PM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: RF_Overlord]
YoungP71dude Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
The alternator could very well have a bad bearing or two and still function and make power, so don't discount that.

I second this. My alternator pulley has a very sutble squeak to it (prevalent in sub-freezing weather) and works just fine.

2004 P71 - 8/12/2019-present - Teenager-owned and maintained Ex-Sheriff Car w/ 87K miles
DIY 2.5" Catback Dual Exhaust; Posi 3.73 & Manual on the wishlist
Noico Sound Deadening
$370 Maaco Black Paint Job (self prep work)
Plowed by a minivan and still running better than ever.

Your imagination, DIY skills and wallet are the only limits when it comes to modifying a Panther car.

#4092534 - 01/21/21 05:09 AM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
dthomas Offline
Stranger

Loc: Vermont, USA
Agree with everyone here. Replaced alternator on my previous 2000 MGM and got that noise with a brand new one. It worked just fine (granted it wasn't real loud, a gentle whirring).

2019 Ford Explorer XLT - "Big Blue". Kid carrier.
Mods: It's uh, vacuumed....occasionally.

#4092564 - 01/21/21 11:17 AM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

I'm not discounting anything at this time. The car sat and I two wheeled to work last night. Plan to continue this until I get the new belt or I punk out.

When I was younger and ???? the bike would have been the 1st choice anyway. I rode home through the hood just so I didn't have to go faster than 35 mph. Only 4.5 miles.

Reviewing the receipt and looking online shows that the company where I bought the alternator has practically the same price over 14 years later. I did fondle the pulley/ bearing while the belt was off and I couldn't detect anything I would say made me think that was the problem. More like took that off the list of possibles. But I'll check everything again soon.

Pulled new water pump and NOS oil cooler w/ old style hoses out from under bed this am. I have been waiting for a good enough reason to install, should have done it last year when I did fluid. I got that 20/20 hindsight. Also, it's been 7-8 years since I replaced the o rings on the hoses, so they are about due.

I wouldn't say my noise is a squeak, more of a groaning, whirring noise. The speed it got louder makes me think something bad will happen sooner rather than later.

Lastly, when checking out RA for possible replacement parts, I did notice the big bold CHINA on the bearing seal in the idler pulley. Another strike against.

#4092746 - 01/22/21 10:15 AM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Out for Delivery.

After a week of no word from USPS, I got my out for delivery. Belt will be here today.

I pulled the old belt, a Napa item. Looks OK, so I guess I'll hang it in the closet just in case. I have one of those old style Gates belt wear gauges. Looks like it's barely sticking out from the grooves, almost flush. I'll see if I can pick up a new style gauge. Makes more sense and looks easier to use.

Cranked her up and the noise is gone. Alternator, water pump, and A/C pulleys all feel good. There seems to be some in and out to the P.S. pump, but no noise or roughness. Both the tensioner and idler pulleys are loose, noisy and wobbly. I don't know why I didn't feel that the other day.

Now it's $60-100 at Napa or ???? at the Ford dealer. That's for 2 pulleys or one pulley and one tensioner complete. I'm not waiting another week to get something from online no matter how much I could save.

Napa is marginally closer than the Ford store, and I could order online and p/u in 1/2 hour. I might go by the dealership just to see if they have in the stock room and how close it would be in price. I'm not hoping for much. Just found the receipt for the t'stat I put in last year. Reminded me how much I paid for that.

Water pump going back under the bed for next coolant change.

#4092748 - 01/22/21 10:23 AM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
VoodooChild Offline
Rookie

Loc: Northeast
I just had a similar problem with my 2011. I could have sworn the TC was going, very similar symptoms and noise. Dropped the Trans pan and changed the fluid twice, noise still persists. Thanks to this thread I pulled the belt and checked the pulleys, Alt Pulley is grinding and there's metal shavings embedded in the belt. Waiting on a new Alt pulley and a Contitech belt from RA now. I'll update when it's installed.

2011 Interceptor 120K, 11k Idle hours -
Former Newton, MA patrol car
PLZ MP-900 double din 7" touch screen
Infinity Reference 6x8 door speakers
Alpine 6x9 rear speakers
Rockville 10" 800w powered subwoofer
Dash Cam w/ backup cam
3.55 Limited Slip, Moog Sway Bar end links and bushings, Mevotech Supreme control arms
Ported stock plenum, LED backup and dome lights, RKE

#4092790 - 01/22/21 01:53 PM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

@ the OP: for future reference, if you have an AutoZone near you, their pulleys, tensioners, and belts are made by Dayco, and I've used them forever with good results.

#4092882 - 01/23/21 07:05 AM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

I went with the Napa. I stopped by to see what the difference in price would be to order and pay online and p/u in store vs just get the stuff while I was there. I got both the tensioner assy. and idler pulley for $70, with a veterans discount. I hate to say it but that is half of what I was quoted at the Ford dealer, which would have been with a 2 day wait on top.

Boxes for both parts have both Napa and Gates logos on the label. I guess that's OK too. Tensioner made south of the border, pulley to the north. At least it's not China.

All new parts installed and the noise is still there, maybe a little fainter. I used a screwdriver to scope out the noise with the engine running and it sounds like the alternator is the culprit.

I wish I hadn't given my stethoscope away, but the screwdriver seems like a reasonable facsimile. I saw some guy with one 2 foot long searching for engine noises in a video. I held it on both valve covers looking for some noise in the area of the cam chain tensioners and none was heard. Couldn't reach the compressor or p.s.pump but the alt. was booming.

Right now I'm waiting for word back from the people I bought my first alternator from. Looks like some things have changed a little since I bought it. Still same price, a little more for S&H, and 140 amps instead of 130.

#4093094 - 01/24/21 09:14 PM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
Jbawden Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
How is the power steering fluid level?

#4093134 - 01/25/21 07:28 AM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Fluid level is good, but can't find the change in the little black maintenance book. I guess I'll add that to my to do list.

Noise is engine speed related, but not affected by steering input. Got a new stethoscope. Results the same as with the screwdriver. But louder.

No word back from Quick Start Alternator people. Phone or email. Did I miss some holiday? Was going to give them until cob Friday. Probably I'll give them until noon today. Maybe they're not a full time business. I was and still am happy with the alternator I got from them years ago.

Now I'm leaning towards Napa local, could have in my hands today. That discount really makes a difference too. First thing I think I'll go get a second opinion sometime today, just to make sure I'm not in too big of a hurry to get it done. It is noisy but there doesn't seem to be anything else going on so far. I've gotten over that initial fear of driving it.

#4093256 - 01/26/21 09:48 AM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
VoodooChild Offline
Rookie

Loc: Northeast
Got the alt pulley on yesterday. Runs smoother but no change in noise 😒 my 02 sensors may also be telling thr TC to engage constantly, gonna swap those out tonight.

2011 Interceptor 120K, 11k Idle hours -
Former Newton, MA patrol car
PLZ MP-900 double din 7" touch screen
Infinity Reference 6x8 door speakers
Alpine 6x9 rear speakers
Rockville 10" 800w powered subwoofer
Dash Cam w/ backup cam
3.55 Limited Slip, Moog Sway Bar end links and bushings, Mevotech Supreme control arms
Ported stock plenum, LED backup and dome lights, RKE

#4093302 - 01/26/21 04:36 PM Re: New Whirring, Whining Noise [Re: Rootintootin]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

I don't think the O2 sensors have anything to do with torque converter engagement, and if it was engaged constantly, the motor would stall as soon as you slowed to a stop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
3 registered (bobb, LTC_Dave, TheCableGuy), 82 Guests and 279 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 322
a_d_a_m 234
Rainbowpizza 185
DudeAbides 150
JeffBoudah 114
Moby_Vic 103
Old_Guy_Stu 83
Bangster 62
BigNSlow 59
2004_p71 54
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!