Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4112518 - 06/15/21 12:01 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
DannyB Offline
n00b

Loc: Oklahoma
Just read through all of your post. Awesome work! I remember watching a clip about the "ugliest Miata" (probably a donut media video) and they mentioned the driver cooling issues. Outside of being a little toasty, this looks like a blast!

#4112702 - 06/16/21 08:13 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: DannyB]
Traffic22 Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By DannyB
Just read through all of your post. Awesome work! I remember watching a clip about the "ugliest Miata" (probably a donut media video) and they mentioned the driver cooling issues. Outside of being a little toasty, this looks like a blast!

Thanks for the kind words, it is certainly a ton of fun. Little expensive, but by far one of the cheapest forms of racing you can do.

Owning a race car is interesting for sure. It’s like owning a helicopter, for every hour you fly you spend 3 hours on maintenance. I would guess, between preparing the car, maintenance, and post race changes, I’m closing in on 700-800 hours of work.

Lots and lots of parts on order, some work already done, more to get done the next few weeks. I’ll post some updated photos soon.

Edited by Traffic22 (06/16/21 08:14 PM)

Fully gutted, roll cage, OMP Race Seat, 5 point harness, 3.73, Detroit Tru-Trac, Marty Tune, J-Mod by 88GrandMarq, CHE rear control arms and watts link, ARP watts link stud, Ridetech coilovers, ADTR sway bars, custom sway bar end links, Carbotech brake pads, 245/40/18 Falken RT615K+ tires on 18x8 Mustang wheels, Derale trans and PS Cooler.

May 2021 POTM.

#4112944 - 06/18/21 07:52 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Offline

The weather has been hot here in the Bay Area, so I’ve had to limit my work to morning hours. But, I’ve been able to get a little done.

Wired up the trans temp gauge, and got a replacement fuel pressure gauge. (I ruined my last one by over tightening it in the pod.) Ordered new pods with a different style mount to prevent that happening again. Also got the switch panel mounted.

Still waiting on parts. But, with some advice from another member, took another stab at a replacement steering wheel. Previously, we had used a Grant Mustang hub adapter and Grant wheel. We had all sorts of binding problems with the wheel, so we switched back to the OEM wheel. But, we really needed a better solution. We have a big guy who drives with us, and climbing over the cage was tough with the wheel in the way.

We went with the NRG SRK-179H hub adapter. It’s made for mustangs, but fits our cars perfectly. It’s keyed, so you can’t install it wrong. Along with a NRG Nex-Gen 2.0 SFI Hub, a d NRG 13.8” steering wheel.

Quick test drive confirmed no binding.

Trans cooler upgrade soon, stay tuned.

Fully gutted, roll cage, OMP Race Seat, 5 point harness, 3.73, Detroit Tru-Trac, Marty Tune, J-Mod by 88GrandMarq, CHE rear control arms and watts link, ARP watts link stud, Ridetech coilovers, ADTR sway bars, custom sway bar end links, Carbotech brake pads, 245/40/18 Falken RT615K+ tires on 18x8 Mustang wheels, Derale trans and PS Cooler.

May 2021 POTM.

#4113892 - 07/01/21 10:16 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Offline

Well it’s been a busy couple of weeks. BIG changes/Upgrade coming before the end of the month. But, in the mean time, I’ve been working hard to fix the problem areas.

One of the problems with running only distilled water, is rust. Even with distilled water, the cooling system will generate rust. Since we hadn’t flushed the system since changing over to distilled water only, it was time. I used the Prestone flushing solution. Along with about 20 gallons of clean distilled water, our system is rust free again. I also changed out the coolant reservoir, the grimy OEM reservoir was making me nuts, Kudos to Dorman, very nice reservoir. Fit and finish are perfect.

That’s some nasty water.

You can see the clean clear water in the new clear clean reservoir.

Finally got our new trans cooler. This thing is very big. Fitting it was a little tricky and required relocating the PS cooler.

The new trans cooler is not only much, much larger, but it’s stacked plate vs tube and fin, which is a more efficient design.

Because the new trans cooler is so big, there was no room for the OEM PS cooler.

Not to worry, I repurposed the old trans cooler as our new PS cooler, it wasn’t up to the task for the Trans under race conditions but was fantastic when not over-stressed. I think it will do pretty well as a PS cooler.

Fabrication work is not my strong area. But, everything is mounted firmly, doesn’t rattle (I think) and the Trans cooler does not block the PS cooler or vise versa.

Still have to plumb it all up. One of the issues I had was buying the wrong hose. I bought 3/8”, which I still plan to plumb most of the Trans Cooler and PS cooler with. But, the lines exiting the Trans are 1/4”.

I need to order a short section of 1/4” to tap the in and out line. Hope to have it all finished next week so the work on the BIG upgrade can start. (No, it’s not a new engine)

May 2021 POTM.

#4113908 - 07/01/21 11:21 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
85GT Offline

Loc: NYC
Eons ago, like in the 70's, Prestone had a antirust/water pump lubricant additive we use to use. Came in a metal can back then. Don't know if it still exists. I think the 'newer' Water Wetter does similar.

Edited by 85GT (07/01/21 11:22 PM)
95 Caprice

#4113914 - 07/02/21 12:33 AM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: 85GT]
Traffic22 Offline

Originally Posted By 85GT
Eons ago, like in the 70's, Prestone had a antirust/water pump lubricant additive we use to use. Came in a metal can back then. Don't know if it still exists. I think the 'newer' Water Wetter does similar.

That’s a good idea. Lemons does not allow it on the track, but between races might save us some headaches. Thanks

May 2021 POTM.

#4114278 - 07/05/21 05:09 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Tenevic_P71 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: US
Originally Posted By Traffic22

Wow great thread! Super cool build.
I see this picture answers the question I posted in your drivetrain thread. What a mess! Perfect shell to strip out and turn into a race car.
I just have one question; does it still smell like dog?

Edited by Tenevic_P71 (07/05/21 05:11 PM)

#4114970 - 07/11/21 12:30 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Tenevic_P71]
Traffic22 Offline

Originally Posted By Tenevic_P71
Originally Posted By Traffic22

Wow great thread! Super cool build.
I see this picture answers the question I posted in your drivetrain thread. What a mess! Perfect shell to strip out and turn into a race car.
I just have one question; does it still smell like dog?

Not too much anymore, but we still get some random dog hair appear out of nowhere. The biggest problem with the dog cage is it caused minor floorboard rust. We scrubbed it off with a wire brush and sand paper, then primered over it to keep it from getting worse.

May 2021 POTM.

#4115472 - 07/17/21 12:28 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Offline

It was a busy grunt work kind of week. My hands and arms are tired, and there’s still a little work to do.

Finally got the trans cooler and PS cooler plumbed. After several hours chasing leaks and cleaning up lots of spilled ATF, I was able to move onto the “big” upgrade I mentioned in previous posts.

I did a full front suspension overhaul. The plan has always been to upgrade the front shocks/sprigs. I debated a very long time between QA1 and Ride Tech coilovers. After talking to a bunch of people, reading dozens of posts, and talking to other racers, finally decided to go with the Ride Tech kit Chris sells at ADTR.

Prior to installing the suspension kit, it seemed ridiculous to me to install fancy coilovers on old suspension components. I ordered Motorcraft upper/lower control arms, new inner and outer tie rods, and new hubs.

100% truth, probably a waste of money, the stuff that came off the car actually looked pretty good. Of course the bushings were worn, they have 130k miles on them and 1100 race miles on them. But honestly, they were still in pretty good shape. I did have a couple of mildly torn upper control arm bushings, but still would have been serviceable.

I still have to install the SPC camber kit, and I’m waiting on back ordered tie rod boots. Plus, I needed new sway bar studs. (The passenger side stud brackets were rusted and broken.)

I also still have to install the rear spring perches, sprigs, and shocks. Probably won’t have her back on the ground until first week of August, but here are some photos of the work so far.

May 2021 POTM.

#4115498 - 07/17/21 10:00 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Old_Guy_Stu Online   drunk

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I always heard you were supposed to mount coilovers above the control arm, so the weight of the car isn't hanging on the shock mounting bolts. Does ADTR provide a stronger lower mount?

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4115680 - 07/19/21 10:59 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
Traffic22 Offline

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
I always heard you were supposed to mount coilovers above the control arm, so the weight of the car isn't hanging on the shock mounting bolts. Does ADTR provide a stronger lower mount?

ADTR provides sleeves for the lower control arm. There is also a replacement bolt for the lower mount, it is similar to the stock configuration, just adjustable for height, with a better spring rate, and adjustable dampening and rebound. (They adjust together.) there are also bushings that slip onto the lower mounting hole of the coilover.

As for the top mount, there is a solid metal plate, with a bracket.

I’m not sure what the “right” way is, but this kit is very similar to what I’ve seen on other makes/models with similar suspensions.

I like that it’s real world tested, several members here are running it, with good results. I also like that Chris runs it in his cars.

It is extremely similar to the way the stock shock/spring mounts, which is actually what I like most about the kit.

May 2021 POTM.

#4117950 - 08/11/21 07:55 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Offline

Finally got the sway bar end links hooked up. This is the solution in the stickied MEDC suspension thread. Sean, the inventor of this solution has moved on from Crown Vic’s to VW (I know, odd) but I found him on Instagram and he was super helpful. I asked him a whole bunch of questions about all things CV and he provided a lot of good advice.

I’ve also finally got all the Trans Cooler and PS cooler leaks stopped. (Thank god. I spent 2 weeks stinking like ATF) Long story short, PS cooler didn’t fit after changing to massive trans cooler, so old secondary trans cooler became PS cooler, But, in the relocation process, damaged the PS cooler, so had to order a new one. Ordered the biggest plate and fin I could fit. But, it arrived with a damaged core. After days of trying to find the leak, figured it out, sent it back, and now new one seems to be leak free.

Here are some photos of the new end links, and the car sitting way low now. (Keep in mind our tire diameter is only 25.6, compared to the 27.1 stock.)

May 2021 POTM.

#4125222 - 10/21/21 07:45 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Offline

It took a little more time than expected, but the rear Diff rebuild is done. 3.73 and a Detroit Eaton TruTrac, plus all new bearings and axels, and a Marty tune to make it all work. It wasn’t cheap, but I think it’ll prove to be a worthwhile upgrade.

We we’re definitely living on borrowed time with our old diff. I didn’t realize how bad it howled until I heard how quiet the new diff is.

The Marty tune, as expected, is excellent. The engine tune is 100% spot on. Smoother idle, fixed drive by wire numbness, and engine responds nicely to throttle input. Trans shift is a bit harsh and clunky at light throttle and low speeds. I think with our J-Mod and valve body rebuild it may be a touch aggressive. The 1-2 shift at slower speeds (under 30) and part throttle feels like being rear ended, and make a horrible driveline clunk.

Marty is awesome, we’ve discussed it and might change it, or may leave it, need some time to assess the Trans programming before changing it.

Finally had time to finish installing our helmet blower, cool suit set-up, and a chicken wire rock catcher grill. Pulled the headlight to get some more direct air flow to the intake. We’ll run this race with the winky look and see how it goes.

And of course some pics of all the changes.

Old worn out ring and pinion.

Buttoned up Diff.

New Chicken Wire grill.

Helmet blower set up. Air is pulled in from the outside through the large hose attached to the NACA Duct in the rear window. Air is routed to a small plastic, home made filter box, with a little 4x6 cabin air filter. Air is pulled through by the pump mounted to the floor, and blown through the small hose to the helmet.

Cool Suit chest and pump.

6 weeks till Sonoma, and about a dozen little things to do before we go, but getting close. New tires and finally an alignment next week.

May 2021 POTM.

#4125224 - 10/21/21 09:07 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Old_Guy_Stu Online   drunk

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I think those hard shifts are going to help with your trans temp. Slippage=heat. And it's not like it's your daily driver.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4125242 - 10/22/21 01:53 AM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
Traffic22 Offline

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
I think those hard shifts are going to help with your trans temp. Slippage=heat. And it's not like it's your daily driver.

I totally agree and that’s one of the things Marty and I discussed. The $60k question is, how hard is too hard?

I’m not asking that sarcastically I really don’t know. Sometimes it slams the trans into gear so hard it sounds like (but I really don’t know) the drive shaft is clunking. It’s hard to tell, because without an interior the car is loud inside, every sound reverberates, and it’s actually harder to diagnose things that “don’t sound right.”

Marty is the man, and based on all the cars he’s tuned, and specifically Lemons, and Lucky Dog cars, I trust him. We actually need to drive it a bit to wear in the gears a bit more before we race it. That’ll give us the opportunity to put it in stands and inspect everything before we go, and also get a better feel for the Trans shift strategy.

It’s still super sketchy on the road. It’s finally going for new tires and and an alignment. It’s still rolling around on unevenly worn race tires, and a full front suspension rebuild, including camber adjuster, all without an alignment. Once it’s a little more balanced and stable, it’ll be easier to feel what it’s doing.

I am wide open to any suggestions or feedback people have, so feel free to throw it out here,

May 2021 POTM.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 63
Old_Guy_Stu 58
hot__box 56
a_d_a_m 54
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 41
Dmblanch 38
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!