Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4073008 - 08/04/20 03:28 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
Happy Birthday BigMerc96 Offline
I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I've started carrying a portable jump pack lately, I got a NoCo GB40, it works great. That's in addition to what I posted above, plus if I didn't mention it there I've also started been carrying my 1/2" impact with a appropriately sized lug nut socket. Was great when I went to help a co-worker with a flat on her Mountaineer and realized I had the 17mm socket from the Audi and not my 13/16"/21mm socket for the GMQ which is the same for the Mountaineer. Still had my breaker bar tho. So she had to buy a socket in order to use either one...

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#4073048 - 08/04/20 09:15 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
HavocMan Offline

Loc: NJ
I don't really like driving around with a trunk full of stuff day-in day-out. Generally, I keep a pack of bottled water, a few MRE's, a 3 day pack, a Road Atlas and a blanket in the car and a AAA card in my wallet. AAA is perfectly fine here.

If I'm going on a longer road trip I'll toss a tackle box sized tool box in the trunk. I've never needed it though.

My car has the dinky spare. I need to track down a full size CV Sport aluminum wheel and get a good tire stuck on it. I suppose I ought to scrounge up the right carpet cover for it too.

When I did the front anti-roll bar I became acquainted with the goofy stainless-clad lug nuts that Ford uses with the aluminum wheels. Those things gotta go too.

#4074612 - 08/18/20 02:36 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
CNGInterceptor Offline

4V Fairmont
Grand Poobah

Loc: Rhode Island
I drove my Fairmont last year from California to Rhode Island only carrying this tool kit and extra motor oil:

Link: Blue Point 100 piece tool kit
2008 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor | 4.6L

#4074752 - 08/19/20 12:50 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
I keep a small set of basic tools in plastic case that was a gift. In the Merc, a full size spare too, it's an unused one. I have a dozen or so 30 minute flares, I have a soft bag I carry with gloves, tire repair plugs, 12vdc compressor, and I have a yellow light 1.5 ton roller jack in a box I carry in the Merc, It's steel, not aluminum … but oddly it is lighter than my several aluminum ones? I have a phone too. I have a spare set of 22" wiper blades. I have a yellow emergency blanket in there too.

In other cars I carry the same stuff generally, but I do carry a couple quarts oil & small funnel in one that uses a little due to stem seals ('95 T-bird LX 4.6) … the soft bag with tire repair plugs & compressor and gloves is beside the door, it goes with me and the XM SkyFi & ScanGageII (each vehicle has a cord in place).

Sometimes I take a Garmin too.

Always armed.

Edited by CrystalPistol (08/19/20 01:01 PM)

________________________________________ ____________________
Problems huh? Then Read THE Book. Signed: Natural Borne Neanderthal .

#4076806 - 09/06/20 03:03 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
LXSport2005 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
In addition to a few common road repair tools, lately I've started carrying a small interior toolkit on longer trips specifically for the purpose of being able to pull interior door panels, etc. I've had some bad luck with locks, windows, etc, and being able to quickly pull a panel and use a zip tie to do a road repair became important.

With that in mind, a small variety of zip ties, ratchet straps, bungee cords, tape, etc, are good to keep in the car just in case something comes loose and needs a temporary patch to get home.

A couple contractor size trash bags are good to keep with the spare tire. In the event you have to change a tire and your trunk is full of luggage, etc, you can bag the dirty tire to keep your trunk from getting filthy. The second trash bag will be used as a makeshift poncho, because if you are unlucky enough to get a flat, count on pouring rain.

#4096858 - 02/15/21 03:32 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
TheNarrator Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Bump.
I usually only carry one thing: a MASSIVE pry bar (more like an Axle shaft).
Oh yeah, and a assorted hammers and vice grips shoved into a toolbox.
+ Jigsaw blade in the cupholders.
How To Make A Weenie Whip
1 shot Canadian Club whisky (since he's not allowed to enter Canada anymore)
1 shot Captain Morgan spiced rum (since he was going to be the captain of his own ship)
a splash of 151 (to take the wrinkles out of your pants)
RC Cola to taste (served on the rocks, just like a shipwrecked boat)
Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
boxes are about as aerodynamic as a cathedral.

#4096912 - 02/15/21 10:09 PM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: TheNarrator]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
Originally Posted By Rainbowpizza
Bump.
I usually only carry one thing: a MASSIVE pry bar (more like an Axle shaft).
... etc ...
Crossways in the trunk I hope.

I was field training in 1978, riding with a trooper who had started bin 1946. He was soon gonna retire, but this one day he showed me a picture of a '56 Ford police car he once had, was meeting a car on Rt 60 west of Covington that crossed the center line coming at him, so he swerved to miss a head on collision and his police car went down a bank and stopped at a creek, nose down. Back in those years, rescue squads were unheard of so troopers carried tools like prybars and axes to get people out of wrecks. He had a long heavy pry bar in his trunk, likely loaded lengthwise, it came through the rear seat back, through the front seat back, and into the dash beside his right arm.

Lesson learned.

Later ............. wink

#4096970 - 02/16/21 06:47 AM Re: Road Trip and Everyday tool kit [Re: needforspeed1060]
TheNarrator Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Umm... it’s behind the seat. Not for much longer though
How To Make A Weenie Whip
1 shot Canadian Club whisky (since he's not allowed to enter Canada anymore)
1 shot Captain Morgan spiced rum (since he was going to be the captain of his own ship)
a splash of 151 (to take the wrinkles out of your pants)
RC Cola to taste (served on the rocks, just like a shipwrecked boat)
Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
boxes are about as aerodynamic as a cathedral.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  88grandmarq, RF_Overlord 
Who's Online
2 registered (Peterh4545, 1 invisible), 39 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 141
SocalSam 78
Ponyguy 73
Dmblanch 52
Moby_Vic 48
DudeAbides 47
RF_Overlord 41
Old_Guy_Stu 37
Davidzq 33
a_d_a_m 32
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!