Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4097896 - 02/19/21 08:13 PM Searching for cams
YoungP71dude Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Hey y'all,

Camshafts are on the bucket list. I have a few questions and a few requirements for them. Hopefully my requirements won't make the options too narrow (or nonexistent). Here goes.
Requirements:

1. The signature idle you get from cams. Very important.

2. Daily drivable. As much as I want to make this thing a street hot rod, I gotta be able to take it here and there.

3. Supercharger-compatible. When I have money I'm gonna supercharge this sucker (preferably Tork Tech). If this isn't possible and I'll have to swap them out, just say that.

Two questions:

1. What supporting mods do I need? I'm doing a manual & 3.73 swap before cams, so torque converter eliminated. Only contributing mod right now is a 2-2.5" free-flow catback (+ a driver-side cat that hollowed itself out). No doubt I'm gonna need a tune too.

2. DIY-ability? Is this something a dude can do in his driveway or best left to the pros? I've heard the valve cover gasket is a PITA to get off. Will send them out to be degree'd because I can't do that.

Appreciate y'all, and thanks for any responses.

Edited by YoungP71dude (02/19/21 08:22 PM)

2004 P71 - 8/12/2019-present - Teenager-owned and maintained Ex-Sheriff Car w/ 88K miles
2.5" Catback Dual Exhaust; Posi 3.73 & Manual on the wishlist
Noico Sound Deadening
$370 Maaco Black Paint Job (self prep work)
Plowed by a minivan and still running better than ever.
Currently in a "Mad Max" state.

Your imagination, DIY skills and wallet are the only limits when it comes to modifying a Panther car.

Links
#4097966 - 02/20/21 12:36 PM Re: Searching for cams [Re: YoungP71dude]
2004_p71 Offline

no replacement for displacement
Posting Addict

Loc: Quebec Canada
My very best advice is to get a solid plan as far as what you want to do with the car stick to it and have a thick wallet.

You have about 6 to 8 k worth of parts to make this car safe ,reliable and enjoyable . If you want to go the easy route and cut corners thinking it will do the job then get a loan at the bank cause it,s going to be even more expensive in the long run.

You need to ask yourself right now if you are staying N/A or going with a blower route , everything else will depend on this question be honnest with yourself .

Then

-How much Hp TQ are you aiming at ?
-What is the purpose of the car ? Daily driver with attitude , Bad mofo that is the kind of the street from red light to red light or 1/4 mile king ?
-

Best time 13.079 @ 105 1.8 60'
comming back this fall

#4098076 - 02/20/21 09:28 PM Re: Searching for cams [Re: 2004_p71]
YoungP71dude Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I appreciate the good advice.

In the long run I want to get a blower for the car.

End goal is around 400-450 HP as far as factory engine/bottom end goes.
The car's purpose I'd say would definitely be daily driver with attitude. I wanna be able to take people around in it, get here and there, etc. But at the same time it's gotta be fun. Kind of a jack-of-all-trades deal.

But yeah, I'd appreciate any and all advice. I acknowledge I'm still basically a kid and relatively new to most of this stuff, so I really like input from people who've done more than I have.

Edited by YoungP71dude (02/20/21 10:08 PM)

2004 P71 - 8/12/2019-present - Teenager-owned and maintained Ex-Sheriff Car w/ 88K miles
2.5" Catback Dual Exhaust; Posi 3.73 & Manual on the wishlist
Noico Sound Deadening
$370 Maaco Black Paint Job (self prep work)
Plowed by a minivan and still running better than ever.
Currently in a "Mad Max" state.

Your imagination, DIY skills and wallet are the only limits when it comes to modifying a Panther car.

#4098222 - 02/21/21 01:47 PM Re: Searching for cams [Re: YoungP71dude]
2004_p71 Offline

no replacement for displacement
Posting Addict

Loc: Quebec Canada
Cams should always be degreed, I know everybody will say it is not mandatory and they installed their cam as is and it worked BUT anyone who understand what degreeing a cam is will not skip that important step. Some wilder cams you simply cant get away by not degreeing them because of the PTV cleareance.

That being said this cam would work with your set-up

https://www.modularheadshop.com/i-30504964-mhs-gen-2-4-6l-5-4l-2v-pi-stage-1-blower-nitrous-camshafts.html?ref=category:1396772

Now with all that power you may want to get either a 6 speed trans or get at tr3650 up graded with a 26 spline imput shaft and a twin disc clutch .
Metco control arms are also a must with 3,73 gears .

Best time 13.079 @ 105 1.8 60'
comming back this fall

Who's Online
2 registered (BillB, 07LandYacht), 63 Guests and 110 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 96
JeffBoudah 82
Armada Master 79
Old_Guy_Stu 70
Moby_Vic 63
Dmblanch 55
DudeAbides 53
a_d_a_m 45
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 41
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!