Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4098864 - 02/24/21 10:41 AM Trans Fluid Class III Leak
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
I've been getting some spots under the front of the car. I noticed them for about a month, but probably been going on since I started parking the front end down hill instead of up hill. Put out the drip tray and it's fresh red Mercon V.

I wiped the fresh stuff off the bell housing portion of the trans body, pulled the access plug for the TC drain plug and cleaned off everything I could. From the looks of the parking spot, I'm getting a new drip every day.

Today, I slid the drip tray under for anything fresh. Got a couple of drops after several hours, so I put the car up in the air for a better look. Same drip pattern, with some oily accumulation on the trans pan, probably from blowing back just while driving.

The only real leak appears to be on the bell housing/access plug area. My thoughts were I didn't get the TC plug fully tight last fluid change. I rolled the motor over to show the plug and couldn't feel any oil on the TC. The plug is clean, tight, and dry. The inside of the bell housing seems clean and dry from wiping what I can get to with a clean rag.

I cranked the car up and let it run for about 10 minutes. After another hour of sitting on the jack stands, the only leak I could see was some condensation from the muffler drain holes.

This is all with the car sitting level on jackstands, not front end down. I lowered the front like it was on the ground and ran it for another 10 minutes. After sitting for 1/2 hour, still no sign of fresh fluid.

Since the TC and plug were and are dry and I can't find any fresh wet stuff anywhere else, I'm all out of ideas. Seems like if there was some seal up front leaking, there would be some inside the bell housing. Any ideas?
97 CVPI, 142K miles, small trans fluid leak from front seal area, water leaks to inside from evaporator housing and drivers side A pillar, cold weather glitch with wiper motor, headliner covering starting to flake off, tear in drivers seat bottom. Flickering, blinking radio display, What's next?

Links
#4098874 - 02/24/21 11:12 AM Re: Trans Fluid Class III Leak [Re: Rootintootin]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
It is likely the pump/front seal.

For me, with 320,000 miles on mine, and no real issues, I just put a pan under it. I couldn't justify the work required to replace it, and it sorta was one of the issues, when added to all the others, that made me dump the car.

It wasn't consistent in how much it would leak or how often, but in a week I would get a quarter sized spot usually. I kept cut up sections of cardboard in the trunk if I was going to be parked someplace else for more than a few hours (like visiting family).

#4098886 - 02/24/21 02:25 PM Re: Trans Fluid Class III Leak [Re: Rootintootin]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
It's not enough of a leak to even be measured on the dipstick after 7 months and 3K miles.

The only thing that has me fooled is that there doesn't look to be much if any fluid on the inside of the bell housing section. But I know it has to be coming from somewhere.

If it wasn't such a PITA to get a look at the underside of the car. I usually don't get all the jacks and stuff out until I'm due a tire rotation.

If I have to do something about it, I'll use a friend's 2 post lift. Just have to drive across town and over to the next county for that. Thanks for the advice.

My plan is for me and the car to give up this driving thing at the same time. I figure I'll have to keep it on the road for about another 10 years for that.
97 CVPI, 142K miles, small trans fluid leak from front seal area, water leaks to inside from evaporator housing and drivers side A pillar, cold weather glitch with wiper motor, headliner covering starting to flake off, tear in drivers seat bottom. Flickering, blinking radio display, What's next?

#4099000 - 02/25/21 09:56 AM Re: Trans Fluid Class III Leak [Re: Rootintootin]
White Falcon LS Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: SoCal
Add 2 bottles of LubeGard Red, which contains esters. If it's a seal issue, it will help.

In Memory of Ned Nuss, Rick Richardson and Matt (2vmodular)

Who's Online
3 registered (Moby_Vic, Old_Guy_Stu, John396), 92 Guests and 282 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 161
a_d_a_m 106
Old_Guy_Stu 101
Moby_Vic 55
DudeAbides 55
CrystalPistol 50
RF_Overlord 45
TheCableGuy 44
Ponyguy 39
Rainbowpizza 37
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!