Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4102880 - 03/25/21 05:09 PM Oil leak after new timing and valve covers
2008interceptor Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm having my normal mechanic take a look at this now that winter is mostly (i hope) over. There was a slight seep from the passenger valve cover the shop that did the work noticed. It was very slight and never dripped to the ground or caused a burning smell. After the new covers and gaskets were installed I now have a drip. Somewhere lower front on the engine center to passenger side. Is there a common failure such as the front crank seal. It's got 149,000 and for the first 100k it was a highway patrol with street appearance. I just had what looks like the power steering high pressure hose replaced Metal and rubber line. Which was leaking though i am still getting something onto the ground that did not before.

Links
#4102884 - 03/25/21 05:34 PM Re: Oil leak after new timing and valve covers [Re: 2008interceptor]
RF_Overlord Online   content

Poobah

Loc: MA
It could be leftover "drippage" from the previous leaks. Clean everything up in the area using Brakleen or similar. It'll make any fresh leaks easier to spot.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4102890 - 03/25/21 07:39 PM Re: Oil leak after new timing and valve covers [Re: 2008interceptor]
2008interceptor Offline
Over the Hill

Thanks yeah I wasn't thinking he may not have gone to crazy cleaning anything off besides the line. Especially given the weather at the time. I'm trying to figure out what seems to be a miss. I notice it occasionally at idle and increasingly more often under light to mild throttle. Last year or maybe the year before I had a similar thing which eventually tripped the eng light. Was the coil pass side near the cabin. Replaced just that one plus all new boots/spring for the others and all new plugs. It's a flex capable car so I used the OE motorcraft same as it had. I'm going to replace all the cop's this time. Since where I live you would be looking at half the price of Motorcraft coils just to diagnose. After I find someone with a scanner capable of live data and adept at analyzing the live data. For an example I had Reinhart had to give instructions to the tech at a ford dealer. How to pull the hex code for my ecm using an actual ford scanner. Turned out someone at ford flashed an upgrade. But failed to note it anywhere at all.

#4103116 - 03/27/21 09:22 PM Re: Oil leak after new timing and valve covers [Re: 2008interceptor]
ironmarinebill64 Offline
n00b

Loc: New York, USA
Some folks recommend a dab of black silicone at the joints where the valve and timing covers come together, as that seems to be a common source of leaks. Also, a dab on the harmonic balancer key way if reinstalling the timing cover without a seal replacement.

When I replaced the timing guides/tensioners on my 99 MGM, I later got a leak at the bottom corners where the oil pan joined with the timing cover.

Can be a task finding where they originate from, but certainly agree that cleaning everything helps find the spots.
5.4 liter throttle body; PI oil cooler, intake tube & air box; Mark VIII aluminum driveshaft; Trac-Lok limited slip; Richmond Gear axle shafts; J-Mod with Sonnax valves; Limo rear control arms and a great sounding stereo that won't ever automatically remember my Bluetooth settings

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis (gave that to youngest son, and he's now a converted true believer)

#4103348 - 03/30/21 05:11 AM Re: Oil leak after new timing and valve covers [Re: ironmarinebill64]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By ironmarinebill64
Some folks recommend a dab of black silicone at the joints where the valve and timing covers come together, as that seems to be a common source of leaks. Also, a dab on the harmonic balancer key way if reinstalling the timing cover without a seal replacement.
Bingo.

Arrows denote areas where extra RTV is required.
Also, not pictured, RTV required under valve covers where the timing cover meets the cylinder head.

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#4103602 - 03/31/21 10:44 PM Re: Oil leak after new timing and valve covers [Re: 2008interceptor]
2008interceptor Offline
Over the Hill

Excellent thank you very much.

#4104100 - 04/05/21 07:01 PM Re: Oil leak after new timing and valve covers [Re: 2008interceptor]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Best of luck!

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

Who's Online
1 registered (mikko816), 43 Guests and 277 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 159
Old_Guy_Stu 88
CrystalPistol 80
a_d_a_m 77
TheCableGuy 57
DudeAbides 53
Ponyguy 49
Moby_Vic 47
Bangster 46
RF_Overlord 46
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!