Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4104376 - 04/07/21 05:07 PM Re: Cooling The Transmission Hard Use [Re: Traffic22]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Definitely go with Eric's (88grandmarq) advice. He is da' MAN for this transmission.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

Links
#4104410 - 04/07/21 08:03 PM Re: Cooling The Transmission Hard Use [Re: RF_Overlord]
hkerekes Offline
n00b

Loc: NC
I would definitely still use the factory cooler in addition to the one you are adding. I run a 1996 CV in 24 hours of Lemons and Luckydog, we have a medium sized cooler plumbed inline with the factory cooler.

Our factory 4r70w got as hot as yours and wore out the 2nd and 3rd gear clutches. It did have atleast 168,000 miles but the heat killed it.

#4104422 - 04/07/21 09:31 PM Re: Cooling The Transmission Hard Use [Re: Traffic22]
CrystalPistol Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
I run my aux cooler in series with the OEM cooler in the return line to the transmission, it's mounted in front of the radiator hanging from the cross bar with two "steadies" attached to lower core support, it gets air that comes in from under the bumper.

#4104442 - 04/08/21 02:23 AM Re: Cooling The Transmission Hard Use [Re: CrystalPistol]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By CrystalPistol
I run my aux cooler in series with the OEM cooler in the return line to the transmission
Every instruction set I've read from a bunch of cooler and transmission vendors says to do it this way.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4104444 - 04/08/21 03:34 AM Re: Cooling The Transmission Hard Use [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Online   content
Rookie

Loc: CA
I actually had a long discussion with Eric today, super helpful and very knowledgable guys. (Also really nice.) We talked about every thing from Trans Temps, to drive shaft speed, rear gearing, and even a little suspension.

After some discussion, here is the current plan.

1) We are actually going to ditch the OEM cooler and run this monster. (https://derale.com/product-footer/fluid-...54/13504-detail)

The logic here is we are located on the west coast, and most of the races are in the summer months. IF (and I doubt this) we can't get the trans up to operating temp, we'll pull the old NASCAR trick of blocking off part of the cooler.
2) We're making the switch to Amsoil Mercon V.
3) J-Mod and Valve body rebuild with Eric's special touches.

That's the plan for now, I'll post some pics when it's all in, and report back after the race.

Thank you to all of you for your input, and help.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (Traffic22), 87 Guests and 297 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 161
a_d_a_m 106
Old_Guy_Stu 101
DudeAbides 55
Moby_Vic 54
CrystalPistol 49
TheCableGuy 46
RF_Overlord 43
Ponyguy 39
Rainbowpizza 37
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!