Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4103976 - 04/04/21 08:09 PM Shorty headers for our cars?
Big_Pimpin Offline
Rookie

Loc: NC
Do the mustang shorty headers work on our cars? BBK as an example. Most of the other brands for 4.6 2v are either not around anymore or more expensive.

The cost of long tube headers is up there and I know they would make more power. As a compromise with my wallet I am wondering if mustang shorty headers would work or do they have other inherent problems?

We swapped a 2v motor in a mustang at the shop I work at and those factory manifolds are begging for any improvement.

I tried the search function but only found threads with long tubes.

THANKS

Links
#4104062 - 04/05/21 12:45 PM Re: Shorty headers for our cars? [Re: Big_Pimpin]
Davidzq Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Seattle, WA
Two things.

First, no, they will not fit.
Shorty's would point your exhaust directly at the panther frame.
SOME Mustang longtubes can be made to fit by denting the pipes for clearance.

Second, shorty's aren't worth it anyway. They provide almost no gain over the stock manifolds.

2008 P71, Norsea Blue SAP
-Message Center cluster retrofit
-Towncar Signature L heated power seats
-Long overhead console
-Compustar remote start/security

#4106508 - 04/27/21 07:45 AM Re: Shorty headers for our cars? [Re: Big_Pimpin]
musclemerc Offline
Climber

Loc: MS
^^^^ You Sir are 100 percent wrong!!!

OP, yes shorty headers from a mustang will fit! You will need a Mustang H or X pipe to match the collector. The mid pipe will need to be extended 6" to get to the rear half of the system. The motor mounts will need to be shimmed 1/4", and the steering shaft will need some grinding.

I've installed 10 sets of Mustang shortys/midpipes on Panthers over the past years

As far as gains are concerned I personally dynoed and saw an 18HP/20TQ gain so the claim of "no gains" is just wrong.

Yes LT's will yield more power/TQ, but not the 30 HP/TQ everyone claims. HP/TQ on a NA car with LT's only gain 26-28 HP/TQ

GT500 TVS Powered Marauder

#4106552 - 04/27/21 02:00 PM Re: Shorty headers for our cars? [Re: musclemerc]
Packman Offline
Climber

Loc: Joisey
Originally Posted By musclemerc
^^^^ You Sir are 100 percent wrong!!!

OP, yes shorty headers from a mustang will fit! You will need a Mustang H or X pipe to match the collector. The mid pipe will need to be extended 6" to get to the rear half of the system. The motor mounts will need to be shimmed 1/4", and the steering shaft will need some grinding.

I've installed 10 sets of Mustang shortys/midpipes on Panthers over the past years

As far as gains are concerned I personally dynoed and saw an 18HP/20TQ gain so the claim of "no gains" is just wrong.

Yes LT's will yield more power/TQ, but not the 30 HP/TQ everyone claims. HP/TQ on a NA car with LT's only gain 26-28 HP/TQ

That's enough to feel with the butt dyno; and in my book, worth the hassle to install (also the increased mpg).

Question: what's the fitment like with the Mustang H-pipe? I know this is an apples to oranges comparison; but I had fitment issues with the BBK fox body h-pipe I put on my '86 CV. I hope it's not the same with the Whales.

1986 Crown Vic Built 351W and AOD, BIG brake swap, 3.73R&P, etc....

#4106636 - 04/28/21 07:33 AM Re: Shorty headers for our cars? [Re: Big_Pimpin]
musclemerc Offline
Climber

Loc: MS
The midpipe fitment is good. As I stated earlier you will need to extend the mid section 6". I usually ad a pair of Magnaflow high flow cats to make up the difference in length.

Just an FYI you will need a tune to take advantage of any free flow exhaust doesn't matter if its shortys or LT's.

Check my old threads for pics and writeup

GT500 TVS Powered Marauder

#4106648 - 04/28/21 11:31 AM Re: Shorty headers for our cars? [Re: Big_Pimpin]
85GT Offline

Loc: NYC
And while shorties don't peak power/torque like long tubes when they hit their design rpm, shorties do raise for the most part the whole power/torque curve. Above LTs when not at in the LTs peak range.
95 Caprice

Who's Online
3 registered (Scuba_Steve, CarMon, alumarine), 108 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
RF_Overlord 32
Old_Guy_Stu 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!