Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4029074 - 09/01/19 07:28 PM Re: Trans fluid leaking from front U-Joint [Re: 2007CrownVic]
TheCableGuy Offline
Climber

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
Originally Posted By 2007CrownVic
Usually clunks to different gears is slop in the rear axle or bad mounts. U-joints don't get enough play to make noises like that.

Don't mess with the weep hole. If that is in fact where your leak is coming from all it's going to do is let the fluid build up and get somewhere else where it's not supposed to be and potentially cause worse problems. Either live with it the way it is or get someone to physically look at it and fix the problem properly.

I’m just judging off of past vehicles Iv had. I had bad u joints twice in my GMC Sierra. It was very noticeable while shifting from P to R, changing out the joints eliminated the loud clunk entirely.
So what about the jolt I get when I let off the gas or press the gas pedal at cruising speeds.

I’m a classical textbook over-thinker.

Links
#4029240 - 09/03/19 08:37 PM Re: Trans fluid leaking from front U-Joint [Re: TheCableGuy]
TheCableGuy Offline
Climber

It’s going to be a couple weeks to get my parts in the mail but I was wondering what do people think of Duralast Transmission filter? Yes or no. Kinda on the “cheap” side. Just getting my parts list while I’m at it. Going to get about 6 quarts of Mercon LV, not sure which exact brand yet, probably the cheapest LV out there.

#4029248 - 09/03/19 11:11 PM Re: Trans fluid leaking from front U-Joint [Re: TheCableGuy]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Do yourself a favour and get a Motorcraft FT-105 filter. According to resident 4R70W expert 88grandmarq, other aftermarket filters have a habit of coming loose.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4029250 - 09/04/19 12:29 AM Re: Trans fluid leaking from front U-Joint [Re: RF_Overlord]
TheCableGuy Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
Do yourself a favour and get a Motorcraft FT-105 filter. According to resident 4R70W expert 88grandmarq, other aftermarket filters have a habit of coming loose.

10-4 loud and clear. Lol. Did some shopping around. Looks like I will have to get Mercon LV type online shipped to me, along with the filter. All we have here is a Napa, AutoZone and a Walmart and none of them carry the “good stuff”. 5 or 6 quarts of fluid sound good? Just for a pan drop?

#4029278 - 09/04/19 10:15 AM Re: Trans fluid leaking from front U-Joint [Re: TheCableGuy]
gDMJoe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Timbuk3, MI
Quote:
TheCableGuy - It’s going to be a couple weeks to get my parts in the mail but I was wondering what do people think of Duralast Transmission filter? Yes or no. Kinda on the “cheap” side. ...

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low co$t is forgotten.

-click the Vic-

#4029280 - 09/04/19 10:42 AM Re: Trans fluid leaking from front U-Joint [Re: gDMJoe]
TheCableGuy Offline
Climber

6 qts of Motorcraft Mercon LV and the FT105 filter ordered through RockAuto for $50 (fiddy) bucks lol. I hate living in BFE. Thanks for all the tips.

#4029284 - 09/04/19 11:45 AM Re: Trans fluid leaking from front U-Joint [Re: TheCableGuy]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Pan drop with filter will need just over 4 quarts, so you'll have a quart and change left over.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4029292 - 09/04/19 03:14 PM Re: Trans fluid leaking from front U-Joint [Re: RF_Overlord]
TheCableGuy Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
Pan drop with filter will need just over 4 quarts, so you'll have a quart and change left over.

Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated. I hate living in the middle of nowhere because the two auto part stores here don’t carry much of the good stuff. Don’t get me wrong, small town life is quiet but finding good quality parts is not. Bleh

Does anyone recommend a particular type of grease for the u joints or will any kind of bearing grease be enough? Gonna buy one of those cheap grease guns from Walmart for 7 bucks.

Just for the info, I decided it’s best to go ahead and change the trans fluid since I don’t know the last time it was done, but the fluid is more of a light brown/red mixed in. I get a little shutter sometimes when going 30-40mph but it’s not really noticeable, I read that this is pretty common. Personally, I don’t expect this to change that, while it’s just good measure to go ahead and do it. I haven’t looked much into the J mod other than the fact you have to remove the valve body. I’m not familiar with this process with the Vics, rather with the first gen Durango I had, took out the valve body I don’t know how many times and it sucked every single time.

#4107268 - 05/02/21 10:12 PM Re: Trans fluid leaking from front U-Joint [Re: 88grandmarq]
bradwentzel Offline
Stranger

Loc: California
Hi 88 Grand Marq,

I had the problem you described in your post. I checked my All Data Manual to check out my 2006 Grand Marquis. The exploded view of the transmission clearly showed there was an O-ring on the output shaft.

I pulled my Transmission Extension housing to get to the O-ring and changed it. I did not see any obvious signs the O-ring was bad just by looking at it. When I took it off, it seemed to sit looser in the yoke than new replacement I installed.

While taking the Transmission Extension Housing off, I also found a missing nut from the Extension Mount and that the rubber on the mount had broken from the metal backing plate. So I replaced the nut and mount also.

While I had Extension housing off, I pressed in a new bearing and output shaft seal. Used a new gasket with sealer. Put it back together and it is now. perfect.

Here are a couple thoughts I have to add to your post:
1) I carrying used a jack to hold the back of my transmission using a board on the transmission pan. The next morning the jack had dropped, yet the transmission had not sagged. The motor mounts were doing their job.

2) I pulled the Transmission Cross Member which required a crowbar to remove because it is pressed in. The mount was pressed back in using my floor jack. In retrospect, I think I could have taken off the transmission mount bolts at both the Extension Housing and Crossmember and been able to remove the Extension Housing without removing the Crossmember.

3) There is a vent hole in the center of the Transmission Yoke which is there to prevent air pressure from hindering the free movement of the Yoke. The transmission fluid leaks past the O-rings and down the center of the Yoke and out the vent hole. You will see no transmission fluid on your Yoke shaft. It will come out the vent hole and the rotating U-joints will fling it onto the transmission tunnel.

4) I try to understand why parts fail. The yoke slides in and out to accommodate suspension travel. I think the yoke slipping in and out is what causes it to wear over time.

I read through a lot of posts about this problem. Your post needs to have ball peen hammer attached to it to tap people on the top of the head. Now that I have fixed this problem it is obvious.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 207 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 258
bluejay_32 161
Old_Guy_Stu 109
JeffBoudah 83
a_d_a_m 71
Moby_Vic 66
Dmblanch 60
Ponyguy 57
DudeAbides 46
Danger2manifold 35
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!