Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4107620 - 05/05/21 02:57 AM Converting DBW to Drive by Cable, is it possible?
BrainIsSlow Offline
n00b

Loc: Arizona
Can I throw a mechanical throttle body from an 04' or older on my 2011 P7B and tune it to work, or will I need a new ECU/PCM?

Links
#4107650 - 05/05/21 02:49 PM Re: Converting DBW to Drive by Cable, is it possible? [Re: BrainIsSlow]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Not positive having never done this, but I do know the pedal position sensor provides feedback to the PCM, so if the PCM doesn't see the expected input, it's go into limp mode at the very least.

With the introduction of DBW, the PCMs changed position and went from 1 plug to 3, so I think it would be a wiring disaster to try to install a pre-DBW PCM into a DBW car.

EDIT* Upon further reflection, I suppose you could adapt the Pedal Position Sensor to a an '04 pedal assembly and keep the current PCM, but this sounds like a lot of ifs for little gain.

Edited by RF_Overlord (05/05/21 02:53 PM)
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4107668 - 05/05/21 06:53 PM Re: Converting DBW to Drive by Cable, is it possible? [Re: RF_Overlord]
BrainIsSlow Offline
n00b

I'm looking for a snappier throttle.

Can I avoid limp mode if I just modify the parameters with a tune? I feel like it can be done if you can tell the pcm to SHTFU and mind its own d*mn business 😂😂

#4107672 - 05/05/21 06:56 PM Re: Converting DBW to Drive by Cable, is it possible? [Re: RF_Overlord]
BrainIsSlow Offline
n00b

I'm so glad the government can steal my money every week so they can pay idiots in suits to make bogus emissions laws without ANY idea what they're talking about. DBW is the 2nd worst thing to happen to the crown victoria.

#4107714 - 05/05/21 11:44 PM Re: Converting DBW to Drive by Cable, is it possible? [Re: BrainIsSlow]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
There's nothing wrong with DBW if it's working properly. There's just more to go wrong with the extra electromechanical bits involved compared to a normal throttle that you only need to keep clean and easy to find problems with. Abuse from being on a P7B don't help either.

#4107718 - 05/06/21 12:13 AM Re: Converting DBW to Drive by Cable, is it possible? [Re: BrainIsSlow]
Davidzq Offline
Climber

Loc: Seattle, WA
Try recalibrating your pedal position sensor.
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4019500

A proper tune (especially one from Marty Ochs of MO's Speed Shop) will eliminate almost all of the lag.
Further reductions can be attained by swapping in a larger throttle body.

Trying to revert to a cable throttle would cause more issues and be more work than provide any benefit. There's a reason no one has actually done it, though many people have looked into it (and ultimately decided against it).

2008 P71, Norsea Blue SAP
-Message Center cluster retrofit
-Towncar Signature L heated power seats
-Long overhead console
-Compustar remote start/security

#4107724 - 05/06/21 12:52 AM Re: Converting DBW to Drive by Cable, is it possible? [Re: Davidzq]
BrainIsSlow Offline
n00b

I'll shoot him an email tomorrow

#4107756 - 05/06/21 09:04 AM Re: Converting DBW to Drive by Cable, is it possible? [Re: BrainIsSlow]
White Falcon LS Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: SoCal
Converting to a traditional cable setup from an electronic throttle body would be much more hassle than it is worth. You have to remember, apart from pointless government regulations, the shift to electronic throttle control also eliminated the need for a separate IAC valve and cruise control module. It probably cut production costs to some extent as well, which I would imagine, was the main drive behind it.

At a bare minimum, apart from a new throttle body and TPS, you would also have to replace the intake plenum with one from a older vehicle. Then you'd have the joy of replacing the gas pedal (and maybe the entire pedal assembly if you have adjustable pedals), fishing the throttle cables (which may or may not require drilling), and of course a good bit of rewiring. If you can't modify your existing zip tube to accommodate the IAC, you may need to replace that as well. If you want functioning cruise control, not only would you need to install a module, but you'd have to rewire the entire system and probably go as far as replacing the clock spring in the steering column, and perhaps even the steering wheel if you cannot get the '05+ controls to work.

Simplest way forward, and the cheapest, will be the tune option from Marty.

In Memory of Ned Nuss, Rick Richardson and Matt (2vmodular)

#4107758 - 05/06/21 09:27 AM Re: Converting DBW to Drive by Cable, is it possible? [Re: White Falcon LS]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By White Falcon LS
It probably cut production costs to some extent as well, which I would imagine, was the main drive behind it.

That, and emissions. DBW holds the throttle open instead of snapping shut and momentarily spiking the mixture when you let off the pedal. Which you do because, you know, you'd like to actually slow down.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019 & Aug 2020, 56K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
1988 CVLX (Destroyer) 1998-2001 driven to death 202K
1988 Squire (Chris Craft) 1996-1998 junkyard rescue driven to death 199K

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 45 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Old_Guy_Stu 109
bluejay_32 103
a_d_a_m 52
Dmblanch 49
RF_Overlord 40
GM_Guy 39
Tenevic_P71 32
Moby_Vic 32
2008interceptor 29
AlleyG 29
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!