Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3809746 - 12/03/17 10:20 AM Removing fire suppression system?
CozmicPI Offline
n00b

Loc: FL
Is it worth the trouble to remove this system?

Links
#3809930 - 12/03/17 07:37 PM Re: Removing fire suppression system? [Re: CozmicPI]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Easy enough to do. To turn off the dash light, ground pin 6 of the fire supression module 16 pin connector, LG-RD wire. (Pin 7 of the same connector, BK-LB is a ground).
[edit: thats for 2006+ canbus cars]

Edited by GM_Guy (12/03/17 07:38 PM)

#3811834 - 12/05/17 10:58 AM Re: Removing fire suppression system? [Re: CozmicPI]
PHoganDive Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Mass, USA
The system uses gas generators like airbags do, and should be treated the same way. Disconnect battery and wait 20-30 minutes for backup capacitors to discharge before working on the system.

2006 CVPI w/120K, J-Mod, MSD COPs, BOC Tune, American Muscle Wheels, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Duals, 35% tint, UltraGuage, headlight relay harness installed w/ 80/100 watt bulbs.

1996 GMQ 116K miles, Bilstein shocks, otherwise stock (Retired 7/2011)

#3812730 - 12/06/17 07:12 AM Re: Removing fire suppression system? [Re: PHoganDive]
CozmicPI Offline
n00b

Loc: FL
Originally Posted By PHoganDive
The system uses gas generators like airbags do, and should be treated the same way. Disconnect battery and wait 20-30 minutes for backup capacitors to discharge before working on the system.

I have the factory manuals, and they show in detail R&R procedure.

The reasons I'm debating removing the system...

1) planning on lowering the car. There is a large assembly that hangs under the trunk floor that looks very vulnerable.

2) Most CVPI fires were caused by high speed rear end collisions. Most of these were a CVPI hit when stopped behind a ticketed or broken down car on the side of the road. I doubt I'll ever be in this situation.

3) already have the Kevlar trunk pack, and I load out the trunk per Ford's recommendations.

4) Plan on new shocks, sway bar and rear end gear swap or whole rear end swap. The FSS is really in the way if you do any work in that area.

5) large control box under rear seat. I'd like to use that space for power amps, etc.

6) Weight/ complexity. The FSS in total looks like it weighs about 80 lbs. Also, why keep an unneeded, potentially dangerous and fussy system?

BTW, of course I'm going to keep the overhead console activation button. Who can resist a big red button? Just have to figure out something cool to wire it to.

#3812938 - 12/06/17 10:19 AM Re: Removing fire suppression system? [Re: CozmicPI]
theperfectdrugsk Offline

Climber

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I think those are all pretty solid reasons. Maybe wait until you're actually going to do the rear end work to remove the system, since you'll be in there anyway?

Couple things:
1) I might be wrong, but I don't think any part of the fire suppression system hangs under the trunk. You might be looking at your EVAP canister.
6) Emergency party lights. Possibly with hardwired dance music.

2007 P71 180k, fighting entropy
2015 Prius, wife's car, and i like more than i should is hot garbage but gets good mileage

#3813050 - 12/06/17 11:24 AM Re: Removing fire suppression system? [Re: CozmicPI]
Dolomite Offline

Loc: Cali
Don’t expect the trunk pack kevlar to stop any penetration, it’s extremely thin and in my opinion useless. I took my trunk pack out to put the spare where it wouldn’t get pushed into my kids in a rear collision. Naturally I had to test the kevlar, only thing it stopped was a quarter of the pellets from no7 field load from about 20yds. It was easy to punch a cheap chinese steel knife through, a kershaw or benchmade would go through like butter.
2007 cvpi, retired Sacramento county sheriff department patrol vehicle #713B (Roscoe), completely stock with diy viper alarm/rke, 2din dvd w/backup cam.

#3816458 - 12/09/17 07:47 AM Re: Removing fire suppression system? [Re: Dolomite]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By Dolomite
Don’t expect the trunk pack kevlar to stop any penetration, it’s extremely thin and in my opinion useless. I took my trunk pack out to put the spare where it wouldn’t get pushed into my kids in a rear collision. Naturally I had to test the kevlar, only thing it stopped was a quarter of the pellets from no7 field load from about 20yds. It was easy to punch a cheap chinese steel knife through, a kershaw or benchmade would go through like butter.

It's not made to stop bullets or knives, it's to give an extra layer to try to prevent bigger solid things that are sitting parallel to it from being pushed thru it.

#4112120 - 06/10/21 11:02 AM Re: Removing fire suppression system? [Re: CozmicPI]
FLXone Offline
Rookie

Loc: New York City
HI!
Reviving this old thread.

The light on my dash comes on - and i wonder if i should just have the system removed. The light itself doesnt really bother me.
I don't have the factory manuals.
Would it be risky to have a regular mechanic remove the system?
If you take out the fuse and disconnect the battery, are there any risks in 'just' removing the system?
Will the missing system create an error code so that the car wouldn't pass inspection?

Who's Online
4 registered (GrumpMarky, BlackNFast, symonds86, ajdereicup), 47 Guests and 300 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 111
Old_Guy_Stu 85
Ponyguy 62
a_d_a_m 58
Moby_Vic 56
Dmblanch 46
DudeAbides 41
JeffBoudah 36
Lance01 35
Davidzq 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!