Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4115606 - 07/19/21 06:47 AM Auto Parking Brake Release Control Motor
White Falcon LS Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: SoCal
I noticed the other day that the pedal wouldn't come all the way up when I shift into Drive; I'd still have to use the handle to release it all the way. Yesterday, it stopped working completely and I have to use the handle to release the parking brake.

I'm going to check all the vacuum lines - they're white IIRC from what I read earlier - and make sure they hold a vacuum, which should be 34 kPa according to the service manual.

The manual also makes reference to 2A843 - "parking brake release control motor". There appears to be no reference to it in the parts catalog; is this part of the parking brake control pedal assembly?

In Memory of Ned Nuss, Rick Richardson and Matt (2vmodular)

Links
#4115608 - 07/19/21 06:54 AM Re: Auto Parking Brake Release Control Motor [Re: White Falcon LS]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Probably. Ford is traditionally pretty quiet about that whole system. Guess they never expected them to fail.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019 & Aug 2020, 56K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.

#4115612 - 07/19/21 07:06 AM Re: Auto Parking Brake Release Control Motor [Re: White Falcon LS]
White Falcon LS Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: SoCal
Never had a problem with it before, perhaps something is loose somewhere. I'm hoping it's a vacuum line issue more so than the pedal itself, because it's discontinued in a typical Ford fashion.

In Memory of Ned Nuss, Rick Richardson and Matt (2vmodular)

#4115634 - 07/19/21 02:52 PM Re: Auto Parking Brake Release Control Motor [Re: White Falcon LS]
Tenevic_P71 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: US
Have you found good illustrations of the system in the service manual? I think that would be step 1 to verify vacuum line integrity.
Maybe the pedal is bound up, weak return speak or something.

#4115642 - 07/19/21 05:24 PM Re: Auto Parking Brake Release Control Motor [Re: White Falcon LS]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
If your car is like a box, the vacuum motor is nothing more than a sliding rubber switch at the base of the steering column and a vacuum chamber (like on the hvac system) that pulls the release.

Plastic housing, with an inner rubber slider that opens or seals vaccuum port to direct vacuum to the chamber on the base of the steering column that gets manifold vaccum, a line from that runs to the vacuum chamber mounted on the parking brake assembly.

#4115862 - 07/21/21 11:06 AM Re: Auto Parking Brake Release Control Motor [Re: White Falcon LS]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
So it releases with the handle? I've never dealt with problems with Crown vic ones but with other makes the vacuum release either works or it doesn't. You could always try putting a vacuum pump on it and see how it works with that.

Who's Online
5 registered (WSTRLNG, bobb, SocalSam, derekghs, 1 invisible), 61 Guests and 105 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 97
Armada Master 86
JeffBoudah 83
Old_Guy_Stu 74
Moby_Vic 59
Dmblanch 57
DudeAbides 49
a_d_a_m 47
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!