Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4113438 - 06/24/21 04:37 PM AC Issues
JimsGrandMarquis Offline
Stranger

Loc: Utah
Hello, all! I have a 2003 Grand Marquis that has severed me well, but has been having some AC issues lately. One day, it overheated a little bit, not bad enough to throw a check engine or boil coolant. I turned on the heater for a bit and the temps came back down. The next day, I topped off the coolant (it has a small leak, I'll get around to fixing it some day) I went to drive it and found that my AC wasn't working anymore. I popped the hood, and the AC compressor was cycling on and off rapidly (2-3 seconds between cycles.) I rented a set of AC manifold gauges and bought some refrigerant, and found that the low side read 0 psi. I tried to add refrigerant, but it won't take any. I figured it was because the clutch wasn't engaging long enough to pull refrigerant in, so I pulled the low pressure switch and shorted it with a paperclip. Now the clutch will stay on, but it still won't take refrigerant.

In the process of diagnosing the issue, I reached my arm up into the dash, felt the blend door and messed with the hot/cold heater control, and found that the blend door is in fact moving, so I don't believe it is a blend door issue.

Any ideas what is up with it? Thanks!

Links
#4114180 - 07/04/21 03:05 PM Re: AC Issues [Re: JimsGrandMarquis]
Agent2006 Offline
Stranger

Loc: PA
You didn't pull a vacuum on it. Get a vacuum pump from Amazon and buy some gauges, pull 30in for 30 mins. But first find out why your R134a leaked out. I'm betting its the accumulator, so you need to replace that first. If your gauges show some pressure on the high side, get your remaining R134a recovered at an auto shop before you unhook your old accumulator. Looks like a can with foam covering , next to the battery. And wear goggles.

#4114182 - 07/04/21 04:03 PM Re: AC Issues [Re: JimsGrandMarquis]
AlleyG Offline
Climber

Loc: Raleigh, NC
"I'll get around to fixing it someday" is not the recommended approach to a coolant leak that overheats the car. Things warp when they get hot.

I would first check that the engine fan is working, and working with the AC on. Also check the heater hose connection at the manifold, and all along the intake manifold.

Al
Previous Fords:
1988 T-Bird, 1995 T-Bird, 1996 Cougar

#4114192 - 07/04/21 06:08 PM Re: AC Issues [Re: JimsGrandMarquis]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
You need professional help.

#4114578 - 07/08/21 01:09 AM Re: AC Issues [Re: JimsGrandMarquis]
Lance01 Offline
Climber

Loc: Pa
0 PSI means all your refrigerant leaked out for some reason. If you're doing this yourself you need to find out why your refrigerant leaked out because if you recharge your system it will just leak out again and that's bad for the environment and illegal if done on purpose.

There are a lot of steps to getting your AC working again but it can be done at home.

To find a leak you will need manifold gauge set, a 12oz can of refrigerant with UV dye (From Walmart or autoparts store) and blacklight from Harbor Freight (7 bucks).

https://www.harborfreight.com/uv-blacklight-flashlight-63931.html

You don't need to charge the system with the entire can of UV dye, just enough to get the compressor going. Then use the blacklight to see where the leak is coming from. 0 PSI my guess is that you have a fairly big leak so it should be easy to find.

This is just the first step. If this is too difficult then take it to a shop.

#4114580 - 07/08/21 01:27 AM Re: AC Issues [Re: Agent2006]
Lance01 Offline
Climber

Loc: Pa
Originally Posted By Agent2006
You didn't pull a vacuum on it. Get a vacuum pump from Amazon and buy some gauges, pull 30in for 30 mins. But first find out why your R134a leaked out. I'm betting its the accumulator, so you need to replace that first. If your gauges show some pressure on the high side, get your remaining R134a recovered at an auto shop before you unhook your old accumulator. Looks like a can with foam covering , next to the battery. And wear goggles.

My system was at 0 psi and I was still able to charge the system enough to kick on the compressor with just a little dye and refrigerant to see where the leak was.

Turns out, in my case, the transmission/power steering cooler wasn't secure and created a hole in the back of the condenser so all the refrigerant leaked out.

Pulling a vacuum isn't needed to find a leak because the 12oz can of refrigerant/UV dye is under pressure. I used a manifold gauge set and a can tap as the only tools to find the leak. I actually heard the leak making a hiss sound (with engine off) before I saw it with the blacklight clear as day.

After I installed a new condenser, accumulator and o rings I then pulled a vacuum for about an hour and 30 minutes before charging with refrigerant.

Edited by Lance01 (07/08/21 01:30 AM)

#4115276 - 07/15/21 02:02 PM Re: AC Issues [Re: JimsGrandMarquis]
Ryan514 Offline

Loc: louisiana
make sure your fan is coming on with the ac
there is a modual that is mounted to the coooling fan those tend to go bad
check that before anything else

#4115454 - 07/17/21 10:03 AM Re: AC Issues [Re: Ryan514]
SocalSam Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Originally Posted By Ryan514
make sure your fan is coming on with the ac
there is a modual that is mounted to the coooling fan those tend to go bad
check that before anything else

That was my first thought as well. Fan always comes on with AC compressor. No fan, no A/C. In my 08, Overheat plus A/C cycling were the symptoms and new to me fan module was the answer. Fan motor failed a few days later. The two problems were likely related. Agreed, fix the overheat problem first and make sure module and fan motor are good.
2004 CV LX Sport #1, 57,000 miles -- Never was
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
2005 CVPI Ex-San Diego P.D. -- 2 month loaner

#4116078 - 07/23/21 09:09 PM Re: AC Issues [Re: JimsGrandMarquis]
LTT Offline
Stranger

Loc: United States
I have an 02LX that the high speed fan will not come on. New fan, temp switch, pump, relay and head temp sensor. Will low Freon charge keep the high speed fan from operating? Have not had gauges on it yet but due to comp short cycling I'm pretty sure that I have low charge

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 97
Armada Master 86
JeffBoudah 83
Old_Guy_Stu 74
Moby_Vic 59
Dmblanch 57
DudeAbides 48
a_d_a_m 47
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!