Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4116180 - 07/25/21 12:57 AM Projector retrofit: Morimoto mini H1 8.0.
TheCableGuy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
Well all, I finished my projector retrofit finally. Iv been working on it over the last few weeks, little here, little there. Guess I’ll show just a little bit what I did, maybe it will help somebody else down the road.

So I decided to buy a set of smoked headlight assemblies from Amazon. I slammed them in the oven at 250 degrees for 10 minutes. This did alright, but they probably could have been in there a hair longer.
This was likely the hardest part of this entire ordeal.. removing as much glue as possible, even with a new set of headlights. Keep a heat gun or a hair dryer on ya for removing the rest of it after it dries.

I went with Morimotos Mini H1 8.0 directly from TRS and also got mini gattlin shrouds. They came in black which was perfect. I didn’t want to cheap out on this stuff despite the amount of cheap knock offs.

Installation:

I bought a step drill bit and a dremel set. Measure twice, cut, measure again, repeat until you feel comfortable that they will install good enough.

So for the mounting in the back.. I’m not 100% if I even did it correctly, there is no information out there on our assemblies. Regardless, it works for now…. DO NOT, tighten the nut all the way.. yet, just snug. It will warp when fully tightened.

Once when I had the holes drilled, and the projector assemblies mounted snugged, I bought a car battery and setup a test bench in my living room to get the cut off line to be on point. Wouldn’t have to lug my stuff out to the car and deal with all that. I live in an apartment, the less I am outside, the better. The test bench went perfect, and I was able to align the projectors with ease. Once they were aligned, I tightened up the back nut really good, checked the cut off line again.

I gave the headlight cover a good cleaning before I glued it back on. Some people buy special tape for the headlight glue, me.. nah. Black RTV from AutoZone man. I applied a decent bit on the edges, put the cover on, and used wood working clamps to keep pressure on the lens cover and the assembly itself. I left it like this for 24 hours.

Doing this in segments so bear with me.

Previous rides:
2011 Sierra 1500 155K, too many mods to list. (RIP 01-05-2019)
2001 Durango R/T 5.9. 230K. SOLD 5-1-19

They laugh at me because I’m different. I laugh at them because they’re all the same- Heath Ledger

Links
#4116182 - 07/25/21 01:11 AM Re: Projector retrofit: Morimoto mini H1 8.0. [Re: TheCableGuy]
TheCableGuy Offline
Over the Hill

Part 2:

The headlight harness.

So a couple months back, I managed to made my own headlight harness upgrade. Big shout out to GoldPanther for the help on this.. I wanted to buy one, but I guess the guy who was making them for crown vics bailed all together. I was impressed with the first headlight harness I made, and I used 10awg wire. I can give more details on this if requested. Regardless, I got the itch and the idea for the.. what if I had projectors.

So I created a whole new harness. Since I would need different style connectors for projectors, it was easier. I ended up using 12awg on the second go around.
I used 9006 connectors for the output connectors, as my HID ballasts will use AMP connectors. The high beam function took me a bit to learn.. as 9007 bulb does both.. mini H1 only does one, and the projectors have a shutter that moves for the high beam. So I installed a one way diode, for when the high beams are activated, power can still be supplied to the low beam, if you don’t have a diode, your lights will turn off all together.. I can share more detail on this if requested. Major shoutout to GoldPanther on this one as well. If you don’t want to do all that with the harness, I think you can buy a harness from TRS? I have no idea. I didn’t look into it. I wanted to build it all by myself as much as possible.

After the headlights cured for 24 hours I applied another coat of this silicone on the outer edges as a precaution. I use this silicone at my work and it works well.

This is the back of the housing, this was right before I sealed everything up. You can see the connector for the shudder(high beam) and the motoholder, which makes changing H1 bulbs a breeze.

This is a picture of the harness that I made. 2 relays. One for high. One for low. 12awg wire. I can give more details if requested.

See more below.

Previous rides:

They laugh at me because I’m different. I laugh at them because they’re all the same- Heath Ledger

#4116184 - 07/25/21 01:27 AM Re: Projector retrofit: Morimoto mini H1 8.0. [Re: TheCableGuy]
TheCableGuy Offline
Over the Hill

Part 3:

With your new projectors all sealed up and ready and a harness ready, now is the time for install.sorry.. no good pictures here.

So one thing I learned from researched, is if you are using aftermarket assemblies that aren’t known name brands.. switch over the adjustment bracket from your old assemblies to your new ones. I read in reviews that you will have a tough time with the brackets and all that.

Removing the headlights in these cars are easy. I was also switching out the corner lights for smoked ones. With all this stuff out of the way, it made the entire process easy. I was also able to gut out some old police wiring for the strobe lights. This gave me some more room.

I ripped out the original harness I made, and just swapped in the new one. Easy as pie. Checked voltage before joining everything up. Installed everything, turned on the lights, everything worked. Sadly, by this point it was 10am, and very hot. I’ll wait until dark to adjust the headlight assemblies. Mine were originally out of adjustment to begin with. You might not have to mess with your adjustments.

I’ll try to get some pictures of the light output, maybe tomorrow. I adjusted the headlights tonight, in between rain showers. I had to crank both headlights up.. a decent bit. The output is literally amazing. Perfect white as well. High beams are mind blowing. Headlights might be adjusted a bit too high.. maybe. We will see.

Here is some pictures right after I got done with the install. Trust me, I’ll try to get some more pictures of night time shots.

Information on the HIDs:

I used cheap HIDs.. I’m sure down the road I’ll likely get a nice kit from TRS. I’m using Innovated 35W DC Ballasts, and some 4300K H1 bulbs. It’s a perfect temp in my head. Perfect white. When I get another HID set, I will make sure I get AC ballast. Luckily, TRS kits won’t break the bank too much.

Overall I’m beyond happy with this. I took my sweet time. Didn’t want to cut any corners. I decided not to get halos or angle eyes, even though it really wouldn’t be that hard, I just don’t think I’d find the need for them. Your preference.

I recommend the retrofit to everyone who hasn’t done it yet.

Previous rides:

#4116206 - 07/25/21 12:17 PM Re: Projector retrofit: Morimoto mini H1 8.0. [Re: TheCableGuy]
85GT Offline

Loc: NYC
Very nice job! I used the Acme ones from TRS rather than the morimotos ive used in the past. The morimotos have been getting longer with each version update and wasn't sure of clearance. How much space do you have to the lens?

One word of caution, other guys with smoked lens have had them melt because the heat is so concentrated in one spot. Keep a look out for that. Also great choice on color temp if you want maximum light. That's all I use. No need for higher 'bling' color smile
95 Caprice

#4116210 - 07/25/21 12:27 PM Re: Projector retrofit: Morimoto mini H1 8.0. [Re: TheCableGuy]
TheCableGuy Offline
Over the Hill

See.. I saw the Acme ones and I was totally tempted. I’m wondering if there is any other decent differences. As far as the clearance.. yeah, it was totally a really tight fit. I’d say from the top of the shroud to making contact with the lens is only about a quarter of an inch.. if even that. I’m not 100% how much I trimmed from the housing. I used the step drill bit until it was on the second to last step(the biggest it would go is 1 and 3/8 and I went a bit under that, and then I used a dremel with the sandpaper wheel. Would check fitment every so often and how far back I could get it.

For the heating…. I am concerned about that.. a decent bit. How would I prevent that from happening. I know the brand of the housings is from Spec-D or something like that.

Previous rides:

#4116214 - 07/25/21 01:14 PM Re: Projector retrofit: Morimoto mini H1 8.0. [Re: TheCableGuy]
85GT Offline

Loc: NYC
I actually like the beam pattern on the regular vs super acme if they still offer both. They had a tighter high beam. Somewhere I read the Acme's were just older gen morimotos. I'll have look at mine to see if how much more clearance they may have if any.

I've used the morimoto H4 that place the bulb solid in it's position. I found the moriholder on the H1 still gives a little wiggle and adjustment room. I moved them around a little to get a tighter hot spot down the middle for the high beams. For pitch black country drives, they illuminate too wide and trees and such. You may want to try moving around to soften that hot spot (meaning bright spot, but heat goes with that too) as a trade off. Didn't really affect the low pattern much either way. You need to do this parked up near a wall to see what i mean. Oh and moving that hotspot, i move it up so it's not so present on the low beam, which may be of help too.

Be curious how you find the 8.0s highs on the road.
95 Caprice

#4116266 - 07/26/21 12:17 AM Re: Projector retrofit: Morimoto mini H1 8.0. [Re: TheCableGuy]
GoldPanther Offline
BOK contributor
Over the Hill

Loc: Chitcagoland!
Great Job Mr. TheCableGuy!!!

Everything looks well done. Now you should consider taking the spot for the guy that went MIA and make harness for the community. Now you know its not hard.
Originally Posted By Black_Chrome
Black_Chrome: If only I had a merc...Oh wait, its still sitting out at the farm frown "This holiday season give that special woman in your life something she deserves. Dans External Relay Harness."

#4116268 - 07/26/21 01:23 AM Re: Projector retrofit: Morimoto mini H1 8.0. [Re: TheCableGuy]
TheCableGuy Offline
Over the Hill

Oof.. those are some big shoes to fill.. and with my new promotion at work, finding the time, that could be consistent, I don’t want to let others down and have them get lost in the weeds. I’ll think about it for sure, but I’ll also share any information I have for those that ask, and if I have it haha.

So I did look for the harness that TRS makes, and it’s actually fairly cheap, and it appears to use the right kind of connectors for a projector setup. Interesting. Very interesting. I’d be inclined to buy one from them, and dissect it to see what supplies are they using etc. just because I’m nosy as hell.

Other than that, one of the ballasts burned out tonight while attempting to get some more pictures. Swapped it with another cheap ballast and it’s back to normal. In a couple weeks, I’ll more than likely order a decent kit from TRS itself; which will be around $100 or so.

Previous rides:

#4116352 - 07/26/21 05:59 PM Re: Projector retrofit: Morimoto mini H1 8.0. [Re: TheCableGuy]
GoldPanther Offline
BOK contributor
Over the Hill

Loc: Chitcagoland!
Originally Posted By TheCableGuy

So I did look for the harness that TRS makes, and it’s actually fairly cheap, and it appears to use the right kind of connectors for a projector setup. Interesting. Very interesting. I’d be inclined to buy one from them, and dissect it to see what supplies are they using etc. just because I’m nosy as hell.

😂😂😂😂 that would be quiet interesting 🤔 lol.

Your car looks a lot nicer! For once I love that you just didn't put hids but did it the proper way adding a projector.

The info is here and there's people willing to help so for everyone looking to get better lighting ouput stop thinking about it and get projectors, is no rocket sience.
Originally Posted By Black_Chrome
Black_Chrome: If only I had a merc...Oh wait, its still sitting out at the farm frown "This holiday season give that special woman in your life something she deserves. Dans External Relay Harness."

Who's Online
1 registered (STR), 43 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 97
Armada Master 86
JeffBoudah 83
Old_Guy_Stu 74
Moby_Vic 59
Dmblanch 57
DudeAbides 48
a_d_a_m 47
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!