Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4115844 - 07/21/21 09:41 AM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: Site66]
DonnieK Offline
n00b

Loc: Nashville, TN
Originally Posted By Site66
May be the fuel pump only becasue at that age its such a high failure rate.
Replace the fuel filter by the passenger side tire first.

Been through a pump replacement on another CV myself it sucks. But I confirmed it by renting a fuel pressure meter and it has a shrader valve on the fuel rail to hook it too. It reveled low fuel pressure that changed over time.

At the time it was so common I could not find a pump anywhere locally. Dealers sold out auto stores sold out.

So, I had this issue again, and you are correct. Im having a low fuel pressure issue. I took it to a professional mechanic this time, and he mentioned something about a Fuel Pump Control Module or something like that. He said its maybe located in the trunk. He was still trying to track down the part and all the exact info, but sounds like I might be in for a new fuel pump. That would explain my lean misfires when the problem occured. I googled and seems like 06+ only have the fuel pump control module. My 05 system diagram only shows the pump.

Links
#4115880 - 07/21/21 01:04 PM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: DonnieK]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
That control module is called the FPDM...Fuel Pump Driver Module. It's located in the front left corner of the trunk. FPDMs have existed since 2003, when Ford switched to a returnless fuel system.

Its purpose is to vary the duty cycle of the pump to maintain the desired fuel pressure.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4115882 - 07/21/21 01:29 PM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: RF_Overlord]
DonnieK Offline
n00b

Awesome. So my guy says that he has to go through Ford to get one. Every had any problems with that, and what I might be possibly looking at to get it replaced?

#4115886 - 07/21/21 02:43 PM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: DonnieK]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Replacing it is simple. I've never had to actually do it as they rarely fail, but it's plug-and-play with no programming needed.

You don't have to go through Ford to get a replacement. Dorman and other aftermarket companies have them.

#4116718 - 07/30/21 11:08 AM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: RF_Overlord]
DonnieK Offline
n00b

So, turns out we replaced the Hi Pressure Sensor on the fuel rail and that cleared all codes and the car is running great now. The codes were all in the computer but tripping the Check Engine, which is why I never even considered replacing this sensor. I put a 21 dollar Amazon special on there and I should have known better. No more knock off electronics. Car is running like a champ now. But I may try to locate one of those modules now, before I get in a pinch. He said there is a specific Police Interceptor one that is not cataloged. So he was having a problem locating it. I'll check those you mentioned. I definitely appreciate everyone's advice.

#4116744 - 07/30/21 03:22 PM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: DonnieK]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Specific Police Interceptor FPDM? I've not heard of such.

#4116748 - 07/30/21 04:15 PM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: DonnieK]
SocalSam Offline
banned
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
I didn't catch the DTC that you found. It is a great idea to have a $10 code reader in the glove box to take some of the guess work and parts shotgunning out.
2004 CV LX Sport #2
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, POTM 6/22

Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels ,
Door Keypad , Passenger Seat Power

#4117626 - 08/09/21 09:11 AM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: DonnieK]
STR Offline
n00b

Loc: TX
Bringing a semi dead thread back, but adding to what SocalSam said, FORScan Lite for Android will let you view live fuel pressure.

I think the app itself is $5.99, and it'll work with most of the cheap Bluetooth OBD2 adapters. It's not very intuitive, but there's a TON of stuff you can view, from fuel pressure to engine fan duty cycle. You can also cycle each module on the car through a test procedure (and "burp" the ABS pump to get air out of it).

#4117648 - 08/09/21 10:30 AM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: RF_Overlord]
DonnieK Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
Specific Police Interceptor FPDM? I've not heard of such.

Yea, so, my guy is definitely trustworthy, but I dont think he has much experience with ex-police vehicles. He called Ford to get the part information and im sure thats something they must have told him. He mentioned that he owned a panther himself, but after test driving mine, he specifically mentioned how much more spunky mine was. So, this is why I dont think he has much interceptor experience. But overall he did a good job.

#4117650 - 08/09/21 10:32 AM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: STR]
DonnieK Offline
n00b

I was shopping for scanners, but there were a ton of options out there and I wasnt sure which one would be too little and which one would be too much. I will definitely look into this for the future. Had I scanned it, I would have known that fuel delivery was about 10psi too low. Also, it was throwing a few codes that werent activating the check engine light, but definitely making the car run like crap.

#4117674 - 08/09/21 03:17 PM Re: Possible Fuel/Air mixture problem [Re: DonnieK]
Tenevic_P71 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: US
ForSCAN has almost everything you would ever need to work on these cars and is free to download to PC.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
3 registered (Rootintootin, TomInGeorgia, LordAeneas), 107 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!