Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4116460 - 07/27/21 09:52 PM Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please
CraigZander Offline
n00b

Loc: California
I bought a 2004 CVPI about three months ago. I'm slowly fixing it up to be my daily driver. I don't drive it much right now.
The other day, I noticed the radiator had a bunch of leaves and dirty stuck in the fins, so I took the garden hose and starting washing them out, both the from the front and from behind (where the electric cooling fan is).
All of a sudden, the fan came on and would not shut off. I waited five minutes or so and when it still didn't shut off, I disconnected the battery.

When the fan came on initially, the motor was not on, the key was not in the ignition, and the car hadn't been driven in over a day.

Hoping something got wet and just needed to dry out, I connected the battery three days later, and the fan came back on.

Today, I removed the square 50 A cartridge fuse for the cooling fan and swapped it with another one. The fan still came on and wouldn't shut off. I disconnected the fan, cleaned the connections, plugged it back in, and the fan still came on and wouldn't shut off.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? The water I sprayed on the radiator must have something to do with the problem because it has never done this before. I'm not sure what got wet other than the radiator and fan.
2008 CVPI Light Ice Blue Metallic (Sold) 134,XXX
2006 CVPI Medium Titanium (Sold), 123,XXX
2005 CVPI Light Tundra (Sold), 205,XXX
More on the way

Links
#4116470 - 07/27/21 11:28 PM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
The fan's PWM control module is located on the fan shroud/framework. It may have been damaged by water. Pull it apart and dry everything out...put some dielectric grease in the connector.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4116474 - 07/28/21 12:28 AM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
CraigZander Offline
n00b

Thank you RF.
Does the control module come apart with screws or is it put together by snapping pieces into place?
I will have to do this tomorrow after work. I replaced a fan on my 2008 but I'll have to watch a video on how to pull the fan again.
More on the way

#4116490 - 07/28/21 12:18 PM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

What I intended to say was to remove the module from its mounting and dry out the connectors and inspect the wiring. I'm not sure if the module itself comes apart. Sorry for the confusion.

#4116528 - 07/28/21 10:27 PM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
CraigZander Offline
n00b

I removed the whole fan housing, took off the module, removed it from the fan shroud and then popped the top off revealing the circuit board, dried it out with an air dryer, let it soak in the sun for about four hours, put dielectric grease on the connector, plugged it back in, and the fan came on!
Did I not let it dry long enough?
Is it a safe bet that the issue is with the fan, and not something else? Because I'm tempted to order a new fan assembly.
P.S. I noticed the one I am dealing with is an aftermarket one so it was replaced at one point already.
More on the way

#4116530 - 07/28/21 10:42 PM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

If you can find a wiring diagram, check the control line from the PCM to the module and see if it's commanding the fan on when it shouldn't be.

#4116552 - 07/29/21 06:09 AM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
GoldPanther Offline
BOK contributor
Over the Hill

Loc: Chitcagoland!
There are many reasons why this fan behavior, the main cause is what RF_Overlord said, the module goes bad and that happens, sadly they don't sell the module alone but the whole fan assembly, try getting one from a junk yard.
Another of the main cause if a faulty temperature sensor, when this sensor is bad the PCM can't tell for certain how hot the engine is so it sends signal to the fan to go full blast, all as a precaution. So check your cylinder head temperature sensor.

Note, IIRC the 2V engine uses two sensors, one for the gauge cluster called coolant temperature sensor and another one that sends reading to the PCM called the cylinder head temp sensor.

Edited by GoldPanther (07/29/21 06:16 AM)
Originally Posted By Black_Chrome
Black_Chrome: If only I had a merc...Oh wait, its still sitting out at the farm frown "This holiday season give that special woman in your life something she deserves. Dans External Relay Harness."

#4116580 - 07/29/21 01:19 PM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
CraigZander Offline
n00b

Thanks RF. I always appreciate your help.

Goldpanther. Wouldn't the temperature gauge on the dash read HIGH if the engine coolant temperature sensor was causing the fan to turn on?

I will look into this tomorrow.
Thanks again.
More on the way

#4116584 - 07/29/21 02:15 PM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: GoldPanther]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Originally Posted By GoldPanther
Note, IIRC the 2V engine uses two sensors, one for the gauge cluster called coolant temperature sensor and another one that sends reading to the PCM called the cylinder head temp sensor.
Dan is correct. Even if the coolant temperature is normal, a defective CHT sensor could cause the fan to be commanded on.

#4116642 - 07/29/21 08:48 PM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
alumarine Offline
Rookie

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
I think Forscan can monitor both the coolant sender and the CHT sender.
That would tell you if it's getting a false reading.

#4116876 - 07/31/21 10:29 PM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
CraigZander Offline
n00b

Thank you RF and Goldpanther. You too alumarine. Thank you all.
I ended up getting a fan shroud off of someone not too far from my house. He was parting out his 2005 after it got in a rear end accident. He let it for $20 and and when I plugged it in, all was well. I drove it around, turned on and off the A/C to make sure it worked properly, and it seems to be fine.

I wasn't looking forward to changing out the Cylinder Head Thermostat. Looked like it was hard to get to smile
Part of me thought I should put the fan module in a bowl of rice to dry it out even more than I did.

My only concern is, the one I put in was a Dorman 620-120, same one as the one that failed! I guess the lesson here was, don't hose down your fan module!

Edited by CraigZander (07/31/21 10:30 PM)
More on the way

#4117736 - 08/10/21 06:06 AM Re: Cooling Fan Turned On All of a Sudden. Help Please [Re: CraigZander]
JOliver Offline
n00b

Loc: Tennessee
Hopefully you have good luck out of the Dorman, but I never have I have been over Crown Vics for about 20 years and I personally like dorman products as I prefer the intake because of cost saving verses the Ford unit. However I have had to quit buying the Dorman fans for our Police cars as we kept having problems out of them. Sometimes they would stay running and we had a couple melt in the past. I always spend the extra and buy the Ford units and yes they are expensive. Now these are run hard cars so a daily driver maybe will have better luck.
Glad you found your problem

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 97
Armada Master 86
JeffBoudah 83
Old_Guy_Stu 74
Moby_Vic 59
Dmblanch 57
DudeAbides 48
a_d_a_m 47
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!