Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4122962 - 10/01/21 05:04 PM New Here, 2001 GM in Los Angeles
Pintoguy Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA
Soon to be relocating to Detroit.

Im new to the Panthers.

My Dad in Detroit has had quite a few Lincolns and is need of a new car so I bought this Grand Marquis for him and will be driving it out to him in a couple weeks.

It has 80K miles and is rust free since it spent its life in Palm Springs in a air conditioned garage. It was an estate sale and I got it for what I thought was a good price. It was really clean except for a couple bumper rubs, those I expect since mot 90 year olds drive by braille anyways.

I did the usual stuff to it, Plugs, belts, hoses, oilchange, front brakes. Then I started looking at a few PI Vics in the pick a parts and noticed a few things. Most of the suspension is exactly the same
so I grabbed the sway bars. I was going to get the exhaust but ran out of time. That night on FB Marketplace I saw someone elling a complete dual exhaust from a PI for $100 so I went and picked it up.

Got the bars with all new rubber bushings and end links and exhaust on it the following day. Noticed the rear shocks were leaking and the fronts were soft so I swapped those. I noticed the front ball joints were dry and greased them up and after driving it for a day the front end had a little clunk checked it out and it was the upper ball oints. I guess giving them a little love really loosened them up. I ended up changing all 4 since it was apart. I also swapped in new rear springs I got out of a GM in the junk yard. They were like new and were progressively wound not a straight rate like the stock ones.It raised the rear a little but that is fine because I will be putting a hitch on the back.

I noticed a little miss once it warmed up and checked all the coils and found 2 to be out of spec so I changed all 8.

I think now its oood for the trip back to Detroit. It will be the cleanest one there! I almost feel bad because I know in 5 years it will be well on its way to being a rust bucket. I will have it undercoated once I get there to keep the salt from ravaging it so quickly.

When I get home I may look for a panther for myself as a project car.

The only question I have so far is in the trunk, on the drivers side were the as door tether is there is a electrical connector sticking out and was wondering what it was. I figure I would ask here before I tear out all the liner.

#4123108 - 10/03/21 01:10 PM Re: New Here, 2001 GM in Los Angeles [Re: Pintoguy]
AlleyG Offline
Climber

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By Pintoguy
I will have it undercoated once I get there to keep the salt from ravaging it so quickly.

Do they even have places that undercoat any more? They can't undercoat anything somewhat new because it will void the rust-thru warrantee. Most undercoating places have long since moved on to different services.

Al

Edited by AlleyG (10/03/21 01:11 PM)
Previous Fords:
1988 T-Bird, 1995 T-Bird, 1996 Cougar

#4123142 - 10/03/21 08:38 PM Re: New Here, 2001 GM in Los Angeles [Re: AlleyG]
Pintoguy Offline
Stranger

Im pretty sure Ziebart is still around. I guess I should check. Its been a long time since I have been back there.

This car is old enough to vote so there is no warrantee issue.

#4123158 - 10/04/21 06:24 AM Re: New Here, 2001 GM in Los Angeles [Re: Pintoguy]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Vote, hell. Mine's almost old enough to run for President.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 56K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4123324 - 10/05/21 06:14 PM Re: New Here, 2001 GM in Los Angeles [Re: Pintoguy]
Pintoguy Offline
Stranger

Anyone in L.A. Need 29.5 sway ar bushings I have a brand new set of Duralast, I know, I know no better than the factory ones. Part # HB200168.

Free for someone who needs them. I can deliver in the Valley area.

#4123402 - 10/06/21 12:28 PM Re: New Here, 2001 GM in Los Angeles [Re: Pintoguy]
MIAMI-DADE Offline
Poobah

Loc: Miami Beach&Brooklyn N.Y.
Welcome from Secaucus New Jersey!

05 Crown Vic/LX/260K miles [sold]
2016 Chevrolet Tahoe LT

Moderator:  Chaplian, Mperson 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 119
SocalSam 87
Ponyguy 62
Dmblanch 53
RF_Overlord 48
Moby_Vic 48
Davidzq 47
DudeAbides 44
Old_Guy_Stu 43
Armada Master 42
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!