Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4123848 - 10/09/21 10:28 AM Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood)
Legal_Eagles Offline
Stranger

Loc: ME
Long time lurker, first time poster... what a great resource this is.

My question is this... I have a 2006 Grand Marquis, and I do my own maintenance. I recently got a Mityvac and love it... oil extraction from under the hood is quick, easy, and clean.

I typically change my oil every 5,000 miles and the only thing for which I now need to go under the car is to change the filter. Looking at the filter from above, it seems almost as if one could get it off and on by reaching down with a filter wrench and socket, maneuvering the old filter off, and maneuvering the new filter in...

I have tried this, and while it seems as if it should work, I am having trouble getting the old filter out and new filter in given the cramped working space... it is almost there, but not quite.

Does anyone here change their filter from under the hood? Any tips or tricks? Has the length of the FL-820S changed over the years? If I could find a filter about 1" shorter, it would make all the difference. Thanks for any help...

Links
#4123850 - 10/09/21 10:45 AM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
The filter did change a few years back. It was longer. But no longer is it longer.

Have you tried moving the wheels to one side or the other? I know this helps give room to work around the steering linkage when coming at it from below.

I always combine oil change with tire rotation, coolant change, trans fluid change. Whatever is due. Just to kill as many birds whenever I have the car up in the air. Sometimes you just have to put eyes on the underside of the car. Might catch something about to become a problem.

#4123916 - 10/09/21 05:38 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
357cvpi Offline
n00b

Loc: UT
You can put a wrench on the filter and swap it out from under the hood easy enough as long as it's an 820 equivalent length. Wait until it's cool enough to hook the old filter from the center hole and it's easy to move around and lift straight up and out. From underneath you will have to turn the steering wheel to clear the linkage.

#4123934 - 10/09/21 06:32 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
SocalSam Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
After all the oil drains from the plug, the filter comes off and dumps the contents all over. What are you guys doing to keep the mess to a minimum?
2004 CV LX Sport #1, 57,000 miles -- Never was
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
2005 CVPI Ex-San Diego P.D. -- 2 month loaner

#4123936 - 10/09/21 06:57 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
I doubt any of the longer 820s filters are still in circulation. While I haven't done an oil change with the rack and pinion setup, I don't think there is a good way to get the filter up (should be similar to my 2000 above it, just not below it).

#4123940 - 10/09/21 07:21 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
I always change the oil hot and of course that means the filter is hot. On my Marauder and my '04 GMQ, I could never get a proper grip or be able to finagle the filter out from the top without spilling hot oil everywhere. At least I can (somewhat) control it from below. especially since I have those little drain funnels that snap onto the P/S lines and guide most of the spillage into the drain pan.

I haven't tried the overhead method on my 2000 GMQ, but will try next time if I remember, although since I have to get under the car to remove the drain plug anyway, there's not much savings.

*Yeah, I know...I should buy a Mity Vac...*
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4123946 - 10/09/21 08:55 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
ironmarinebill64 Offline
Rookie

Loc: New York, USA
I've tried but have never been able to. Always end up having to do the "unscrew and wiggle around the power steering rack from underneath" no matter what brand filter (Wix XP; 820s; Mobil1 210A; Purolator 24651...all of similar dimension and I swap around with the quality brands now and again).

That being said, it might work if you were replacing with one of those smaller diameter fleet/cheap/buy-in-bulk like a Jiffy Lube Fleetguard or LuberFiner. But then you're getting into the potential issues of lower quality filters.

The fitting is a 22mmx1.5 thread, which I know is also the thread on the small diameter Mobil1 113A and AC-Delco 64 (Helped a friend and changed the oil on her late model Buick, which listed 2 different filter thread sizes depending on build date). But again, you'd be losing filtration capacity.
5.4 liter throttle body; PI oil cooler, intake tube & air box; Mark VIII aluminum driveshaft; Trac-Lok limited slip; Richmond Gear axle shafts; J-Mod with Sonnax valves; Limo rear control arms and a great sounding stereo that won't ever automatically remember my Bluetooth settings

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis (gave that to youngest son, and he's now a converted true believer)

#4123950 - 10/09/21 09:06 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
Also many of those multi use (so the oil places have to keep less stock) filters will have a very wide variance of pressure the bypass opens at. I think I have seen some that would basically push unfiltered oil 90% of the time (I think that even the correct one will bypass more than most think, and not just when the filter media is clogged).

#4123980 - 10/10/21 11:26 AM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
357cvpi Offline
n00b

Loc: UT
Someone asked about the mess from topside filter removal, all you can do really is just slide the catch pan underneath the filter area. The biggest advantage to replacing the filter topside is you don't have to shower in the oil as it drains. Again, the oil should be warm but if it's hot you'll burn your hands trying to handle the filter this way. Ford really has lead the way for decades for making simple things like this difficult and messy.

Edited by 357cvpi (10/10/21 11:28 AM)

#4123984 - 10/10/21 12:17 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
Hound Offline
Rookie

Loc: Virginia
Anyone ever put a filter relocation on these? I used to have a little pickup that I put a lot of miles on. I just put a filter relocation kit on and ran the hoses up to a spot on the fender well. Filter was right there and used the vac for the oil. Worked great.

#4124160 - 10/12/21 04:42 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Hound]
dixiebandit69 Offline
5.4 Club

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By Hound
Anyone ever put a filter relocation on these? I used to have a little pickup that I put a lot of miles on. I just put a filter relocation kit on and ran the hoses up to a spot on the fender well. Filter was right there and used the vac for the oil. Worked great.

This sounds like a good idea; Ford used a relocation kit for the first generation Expeditions.
You could probably do this with all junkyard parts (although I'd replace the flexible hoses.
2007 Grand Marquis LS: 5.4 swap, 9.9:1 compression ratio, Comp XE268s, NPI pistons, PI heads ported by me, Accufab upper plenum, 75mm DBW throttle body, Factory PI intake with Chinese spacers, CVPI dual exhaust, CVPI torque converter, CVPI air-box and zip tube, J-Mod, 3.55 gears, FMS Trac-Loc differential
17" Dorman CVPI steelies, BFG Comp T/A 255/45 R17s

#4124256 - 10/13/21 04:11 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
AlleyG Offline
Climber

Loc: Raleigh, NC
It is super easy to change the filter from above, at least on an '04 CVPI it is.

You just take it off with your right hand, and pass it to your left hand, which is reaching down by the corner of the radiator area. You just maneuver around the hoses, no need to turn the steering wheel. It is a little tight fitting it up thru, but not bad.

Of course, you have a drain pan underneath and hold the filter there for a minute to let a little oil drain out first.

Easiest filter I've changed in a long time.

Al
Previous Fords:
1988 T-Bird, 1995 T-Bird, 1996 Cougar

#4124268 - 10/13/21 07:00 PM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: AlleyG]
Hound Offline
Rookie

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By AlleyG
It is super easy to change the filter from above, at least on an '04 CVPI it is.

You just take it off with your right hand, and pass it to your left hand, which is reaching down by the corner of the radiator area. You just maneuver around the hoses, no need to turn the steering wheel. It is a little tight fitting it up thru, but not bad.

Of course, you have a drain pan underneath and hold the filter there for a minute to let a little oil drain out first.

Easiest filter I've changed in a long time.

Al

Easiest I have done is in a 2020 Jeep with the V6. It's a drop in paper filter right on the top front of the motor. I guess the designers of that motor didn't get the standard bribe from Jiffy Lube to make it hard. Couldn't believe someone used that much sense while designing it.

#4124292 - 10/14/21 03:43 AM Re: Changing Oil Filter from Above (under the hood) [Re: Legal_Eagles]
Traffic22 Offline

Loc: CA
I change the filter from the top using the right hand left hand swap method mentioned above. I make sure to tip the filter up to avoid it leaking. It’s a little messy, but nearly as much so as trying to wiggle it out from below.

I do climb under with a towel after and wipe everything down.

If you like to do a hot change as some of the other posts have mentioned, just use a cheap set of mechanics gloves to protect your hands.

IMHO, removing the filter from up top is much easier.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 130
Old_Guy_Stu 105
SocalSam 92
JeffBoudah 66
Dmblanch 63
Moby_Vic 62
a_d_a_m 62
Hound 58
Ponyguy 57
Armada Master 54
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!