Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4123740 - 10/08/21 02:53 PM Re: Getting Positive charge from my cars frame [Re: RF_Overlord]
ZathusZ Offline
n00b

Loc: Wisconsin
il take a look and see, by any chance do you have a example photo?

Edited by ZathusZ (10/08/21 02:54 PM)

Links
#4123818 - 10/08/21 09:07 PM Re: Getting Positive charge from my cars frame [Re: ZathusZ]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I think the reason you're getting a spark is that you have a current draw somewhere. When you complete the circuit with your wrench, it's gonna spark. If the PD put in a cutoff, they did that instead of tracing it.

Connect a multimeter on the 10A setting between the negative cable and the battery post. Then see how many amps it's pulling. Then start pulling fuses until the draw goes away. Then you'll know what to start looking at.

Happy hunting.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 56K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4124050 - 10/11/21 07:55 AM Re: Getting Positive charge from my cars frame [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
ZathusZ Offline
n00b

Was able to locate and repair broken wiring, no more charge from the frame. Still have the Red charge light and I'm at this point i have no idea what else could be wrong.

Alternator was tested and is fine, wires fixed, starter replaced, New battery but i still have the red little warning light

Edited by ZathusZ (10/11/21 09:11 AM)

#4124086 - 10/11/21 10:05 PM Re: Getting Positive charge from my cars frame [Re: ZathusZ]
ZathusZ Offline
n00b

And new update

car was working well still battery light but I took it around the block as a test, decided to get a quick bite to eat at the local place and got back into the car, started it up and while starting to drive away the whole car just died, no noises no nothing just died. just fully charged the battery that morning and repairs all the wiring and I have no idea what else could be causing my issues

#4124122 - 10/12/21 12:36 PM Re: Getting Positive charge from my cars frame [Re: ZathusZ]
ash06 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Louisiana
Hello,
If you already have a wiring diagram I would start with checking powers and grounds to the PCM. Use a probe & test light, check at the connectors at the back of the PCM with them plugged in. Wiggle the wires to simulate driving while the test light is lit and see if it goes out. I have heard (but not personally experienced) wires being chaffed between the under hood fuse box and PCM. Might be worth swapping the PCM power relay and diode.
I feel your pain, driving with an intermittent problem sucks.

Good Luck.

#4124130 - 10/12/21 02:15 PM Re: Getting Positive charge from my cars frame [Re: ZathusZ]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Check the voltage at pin 1 (the YE/LG wire) at the gray connector on the alternator. This is the GENMON line and is used by the PCM to determine the load on the alternator. It should typically be half battery voltage. The PCM also directly controls the battery light on the dash.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4124344 - 10/14/21 02:58 PM Re: Getting Positive charge from my cars frame [Re: ZathusZ]
ZathusZ Offline
n00b

i think its some wire near the PCM. i was able to somehow wiggle it enough to get power to the car and got it moving just enough to move it back into my drive. i got a friend to bring over his flatbed and im taking it over to his garage where i can do better work on it. our current idea is that there is just a lose cable near the PCM ribbon connection. might also try replacing the Diode in the fuse

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (young831), 38 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 130
Old_Guy_Stu 105
SocalSam 92
JeffBoudah 66
Dmblanch 63
Moby_Vic 62
a_d_a_m 62
Ponyguy 58
Hound 58
Armada Master 54
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!