Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4124752 - 10/17/21 03:19 PM 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi all, new member here and new owner of a Crown Vic.

I've always wanted a Crown Vic ever since first laying eyes on one in the movies, but living in The Netherlands they're not exactly a dime a dozen. Hey, some people have Lamborghinis or Ferraris as their non-plus-ultra dream car, mine just happens to be a big ol' practical sedan that's built like a tank. Could be worse, right?

But that's enough about me. This is my car, and I've had it for a little over a week. It's a 2007 Crown Vic PI with a Romeo engine, 3.55 limited slip rear end, and a great big stonkin' spotlight on the A-pillar. Just the way I like them.
From my limited research I've found that this is an ex-Texas PD car, likely from Jefferson County or Clute, seeing as how having a dark blue cruiser is fairly rare. It also has an TXDOT inspection sticker on the windshield (expired in 2010.)

From Texas it made its way across the ocean to Germany, where it lived as an unplated parade car for a while, before the previous owner imported it from Germany to The Netherlands. The previous owner used it as a daily for a bit before parking it, at which point I swooped in and bought it. Was I looking for a different car? No, I've got an Opel Vectra which is just fine, but I couldn't resist. After a bit of haggling this big softie was all mine.

Like I said, I've had it for a little over a week, and I intend to fix up all the little things that are wrong with it, make it into a bit of a project. I don't think it ever got much love in its time as a parade car, and while the previous (Dutch) owner meant well, he wasn't much invested into the car. Mechanically its fully sound, but there are little things all over the car that need mending, and that's what I'm here to do.

So the plans:
- Fix the ABS light
- Get cruise control working. The PO installed a TC/MGM wheel but couldn't find a Ford dealership willing to turn it on in the computer.
- Fix the floppy spotlight
- Figure out what's going on with the radio, as it seems to have a mind of its own.
- General upkeep of the interior and all the trimmings.

Some of these things I've already tackled, but more on that in the next post. I'm trying to basically do a project per post, keeping this nice and organized.

Edited by GooneyBird (10/17/21 03:20 PM)

#4124754 - 10/17/21 03:32 PM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

Alright, first up, the ABS light. Not only do I hate it when there's random lights flashing at me, but it's also a safety thing. This car is going to be my daily (Oh lords the fuel bills!! wink ), and since my wife is also going to be driving it it needs to be safe.

When I bought it the ABS light was on. A great haggling point, as the previous owner had no idea what it was or how to fix it. Before buying it I did my research, and came across a post on here stating a very small, but rather significant fact:

The ABS unit is a Bosch 5.3.

While this doesn't seem like much, it meant that instead of having to find someone who would want to repair an alien American vehicle, all I needed to do is find someone who would repair ABS modules, and tell them it was from a Ford Mondeo or a VW Passat or something mundane. Problem solved.

I removed the ABS module, carefully taped up all the connectors and mating surfaces, boxed it up and sent it off to Some Guy Somewhere From The Internet. (Aren't they the best?) In a world-shattering record time of 48 hours including shipping both ways (!) I got the fixed module back. Installing was, in the best Haynes-manual fashion, the reverse of removal, and lo and behold...

... no more ABS light! (And yes, I also switched the counter from US to metric to prevent having to do weird miles-per-liter calculations at the pump.)

Oh, and another thing I like to do whenever I buy a new vehicle (aside from titling and insuring it that is)...

...deep-clean the heck out of it! Also note the neighbor's Jag S-type looking all sullen as it's no longer the largest car on the block. :P

#4124772 - 10/17/21 04:53 PM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
bluejay_32 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: wny
Originally Posted By GooneyBird

...deep-clean the heck out of it! Also note the neighbor's Jag S-type looking all sullen as it's no longer the largest car on the block. :P

Hell yeah! Stick it to that Jag! laugh

welcome from New York where we also like our dark blue cruisers.

I've dealt with Some Guy Somewhere From the Internet before nad not had good experiences, though.

Edited by bluejay_32 (10/17/21 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted By Rob Gordon
NOW GET YOUR PATCHOULI STINK - OUTTA MY STORE! MOVE IT, LARD-ASS!

#4124798 - 10/18/21 04:18 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
SocalSam Online   content
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Pull the mat and clean. Dust and muck gets underneath.
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels

#4124892 - 10/19/21 03:06 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: SocalSam]
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By SocalSam
Pull the mat and clean. Dust and muck gets underneath.

Did that. It was dusty, but not horribly disgusting. Also nice to see a completely rust-free floor. (Top and bottom!)

When I got the car it came with a radio. One of those generic 1-din radios that's neither here nor there. I'm not much of an audiophile, so as long as it can make some noise and play sounds my phone makes when trying to navigate me somewhere I'm generally content.

The Crown Vic was a working vehicle, so I never expected much in the way of speaker quality, but I quickly noticed that they sounded really bad. Like, exceptionally bad. I chalked it up to Ford simply not installing the best of speakers and put it on the bottom of the fix-it list.

However, a few days ago I took the liberty to take out the radio while fixing something else (having the trunk popper always be active instead of only on the key), and noticed.... well... a giant mess behind the radio.

Apparently someone had hacked off most of the wires from the original Ford plug, to which they had butt-connector-crimped a set of their own wires, presumably leading to an aftermarket radio. Someone else then cut off THAT plug to the aftermarket radio, and crimped on his OWN radio harness, and incorrectly at that. Both rear speaker were wired together to the front right channel, front right was wired to one of the rear channels, and front left was MIA altogether.
Some people...

Since reusing the original Ford connector wasn't an option anymore, I got a set of ISO plug pigtails. The Crown Vic is a simple beast and there's no computer interface or CANbus or whatever going to the radio, just 4 sets of speaker wires, some power leads and a ground cable.

Here is the situation after I soldered (with an actual soldering iron!) on the ISO plugs. Compare that with the previous picture. I left the Ford connector in there as it holds a set of audio grounds (?), and a 12V hot-at-start lead to keep the radio alive during cranking. ISO has no provisions for that so I guess I'll just deal with a brief off-period of the radio as the car cranks. With the current 1-din standard radio that's not an issue, but I'm eventually planning to stick a 2-din Carplay-capable radio in there, and I don't know how much that thing likes restarting.

For now there's a 1-din radio from the great mighty stash of leftover stuff in there, as the radio that came with it was a bit junky. This radio was left over from the work van, as I stuck a nice Carplay-capable radio in there. Somewhere in the next six months I'm expecting the van to be swapped out for a new one as the lease ends, at which point I'll take the Sony 2-din that in that thing and stick it in the Ford.

Now that all the speakers are connected the way they should I found out that three out of four work. The driver's side front speaker is blown, so I'll have to source a replacement for that. Either I'll junkyard something out of another Ford (6x8 inch speakers are fairly common), or I'll go all Mr. Moneybags and swap out all of them for a nice aftermarket set. Not sure yet, like I said, I'm not much of an audiophile.

Also, it pays to do the research. Ford uses fairly non-standard wiring colors for their radio plug. Working that out in advance and figuring out what is what and goes where makes soldering on an ISO plug fairly straightforward. (Save for the fact that I don't have a portable soldering iron and had to lug out my desktop iron along with an extension chord...)
If anyone is planning to do the same, hit me up for above document. I've compiled a bunch of information and figured out what each radio wire does, and where it needs to go on an ISO plug.

#4124922 - 10/19/21 10:36 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Wow, best n00b post in a long time! Welcome. Beautiful shots, nice intro.

Stick around. laugh

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#4125316 - 10/22/21 02:52 PM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: a_d_a_m]
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
Wow, best n00b post in a long time! Welcome. Beautiful shots, nice intro.

Stick around. laugh

Thanks! And I plan on holding on to this car for a long time, so I'll be around.

So a couple of days ago the wife returned with the Crown Vic from an early evening errand run.

"Babe, that new car of yours is nice and all, but why didn't they put a light behind the headlight switch? That's, like, the one switch you need in the dark."
"...They didn't?"
"Nope. Fumbled around trying to find that darn thing for ages. Why they couldn't just put it on the sticky-outy thing like normal cars..." *goes off and mumbles something about American cars I dare not repeat here*

So I Googled, and quickly found out that:
a) there absolutely should be a light behind that, that
b) apparently always blows out on every car, and
c) is fairly common.
c1) at O'Reilly's, Autozone, and a whole host of other stores we don't have here.

Ah. Harumph. frown

More Google'ing ensued and it turned out that the bulb in question is a T5 Type B Neo-Wedge. Aside from sounding like something out of Akira it also turned out that the bulb was used in old pinball machines. And there was exactly one shop in Germany that had those bulbs in stock, and sold them for....well... I could fill up the big Ford about halfway and still have change from that amount of money.

Fortunately, I happen to have a whole host of LEDs kicking around (because I endurance-race 1:10 scale RC cars), and a soldering iron I'm not afraid to use. A warm-white 180 degrees 5mm LED was quickly sourced from the Stash o'Stuff, along with a fitting resistor for 12V. (My RC cars have an onboard 5V power supply, so some maths were required) If I can't have an incandescent bulb, I can at least approximate one with LEDs, right?

Today on my lunch break I popped out the headlight switch from the dash (seriously, I love this car. It's SO EASY to work on. My previous car required a half-disassembly of the dash to get to the bulb for the heater controls), and found a charred bulb holder along with a nearly black bulb. I snapped some reference pictures and unfurled the bulb from its holder. The LED was quickly soldered in, even if I had to move the resistor to the rear of the holder. Bench test!

(Don't worry, I covered this up in some shrink wrap after I confirmed I didn't snap anything off while wrapping and folding the legs.

It might look vaguely green-ish in this pic, but I can assure you the LED is a nice warm white. I know there's a green filter in front of it, but didn't want to take the risk of there being too much color difference between it and the rest of the dash....

... which there fortunately isn't. Also, my camera completely missed focus on that pic, but it's too cold to go out and snap another one so.... grin

All in all, a fun little project that made the car a little more livable for my wife, and cost nothing because I had all the bits kicking around.

Up next this weekend; replace the blown front speaker with one from the junkyard (keepin' it real here!), figure out why the front right window won't roll down all the way. (I'm guessing someone used bolts that were too long when replacing the window regulator), and blow out the EVAP system with compressed air to make fueling the car a whole lot easier.

#4125324 - 10/22/21 03:37 PM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

All in all, a fun little project that made the car a little more livable for my wife, and cost nothing because I had all the bits kicking around.

Best kind of project!

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4125636 - 10/25/21 08:55 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

Alright, did some things this weekend.

First up was why the car is slow to refuel. There are a LOT of threads here regarding that topic, and most seem to point towards the fuel vent solenoid being the issue, and that thing merely requiring a good clean, along with blowing some air back through the EVAP system under the tank.

Since it was mostly dry this weekend I felt comfortable crawling under the car, and messing with the system. The nuts came off the two captive bolts well, after a bit of soaking in some WD40, and I quickly had the solenoid off and apart. It was quite clean though.... Gave it a spritz of contact cleaner and compressed air regardless. I grabbed the air line, and blew air out the right hand hose (which seemed to just vent to outside air), and out the left hose into the tank. The last hose gave some resistance when blowing into it, but air was coming out of the tank according my dad who was perched at the opened fuel cap. Soooo.... all good?

Next job; the front right window wouldn't roll down all the way anymore. A small thing, but y'know, it's annoying. It'd only roll down halfway before coming to a slow stop. I figured the window regulator was on the fritz, but noticed it had been replaced at some point due to a missing trim panel behind the interior door handle. (If anyone has a spare, hit me up!) So I removed the door panel, which much to my relief, has exactly 0 clips that shatter, instead opting for reusable 7mm and T30 bolts. Go Ford! ff

Yep, someone has definitely been in here before. However, the window regulator seemed fine. When testing the window I noticed a wiring loom pulling tight as the window went down before going "POINK!* and stopping the glass.

A quick rummage around in the door found that the loom belonging to this plug was going THROUGH the glass track, instead of AROUND. As the glass came down it'd catch the loom, and stop. Ugh, Previous Owner, why are you like this!

Anyway,unplugged it, looped it around, and stuck it in place with some tie-wraps.

Done.

Also note the aftermarket speaker. The car came with a pair of these. The left one was blown, and I wasn't suspecting that someone had swapped these bad boys in, so I just bought a replacement Ford speaker at the local junkyard (rear Ford Ka-speakers apparently fit, who knew!) Ah well, temporary fix, and at least I'll get sound out of all 4, even if the front is now lopsided.

The left door panel came off just as easy as the right went back on. Seriously whoever designed these things is a GENIUS. They hang on their own giving you ample time to sort out the hardware, and the door handle latches into a little metal 'finger' so there's no faffing about with door rods or (like my previous car) trying to loop a cable around a tiny eyelet while holding the panel up. And I still love the fact that 0 clips got busted doing this.

Anyway, while the left panel was off, I snapped a few pics of the DDM. I plan on adding RKE at some point and wanted to know if the DDM could handle that.

The Internet (well, you guys, mostly. The information here is GOLD!) tells me that this should be the port for the antenna. If so, it should be a matter of finding an antenna + cable set, and code it in using Forscan. Right?

There's a Town Car in a local junkyard, would that car have the relevant hardware? And where would I find the antenna and cable to plug it in on that car?

Oh, remember the speaker I pulled out of the left door? It's quite dead, but...

...heck yeah it lights up!

Regardless, I have 0 use for blown speakers, so off to the trash it went. I'll get a decent set of 6x8s at some point, but for now I'm content just to have noise coming from the door again.

Oh, and a lot of people ask me if it'll even fit on a normal spot....

... can confirm the first 12 feet fit really well. Then there's 3 feet hanging out over the sidewalk, and the last foot sticks out into the road. But the first 12 feet fits very well indeed! biggrin

#4125642 - 10/25/21 09:11 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

You can almost hear the turbo-diesel EU-spec Rangers going "Not one of us."

So I've been trying to find a Ford dealership willing to have a stab at turning on cruise control on the Big Vic, with little success. Most either hide beind "Ford won't allow us to do that." or "A Crown-what-now?"
Yeah. Fine. I'll take my money elsewhere then.
I called one I got a good referral to, and decided to change my approach.

*RingRing*
"Hi, Ford Broekhuis Harderwijk, how can I help?"
Hi. Gooney here. Question. Do you guys have Ford IDS on a laptop?
"...yes?"
And coupled to a VCM?
"We do. What are you trying to do?"
Excellent. I have a weird exotic Ford that needs some IDS time.

I was quickly patched through to the head repair bay guy, who apparently thought it;
a) was hilarious that someone would have a Crown Vic as a daily, and
b) was totally up for giving it a try. If only to see the thing in real life.

So I downloaded the instructions on what to do in IDS to enable cruise control, and set out this morning have the brain of the Big Vic poked at.

Upon connecting it quickly drew a small crowd, and we found that indeed IDS would see and read the Crown Vic. We enabled cruise control and Smart Unlock (because I am me, and I will absolutely lock my keys in the car at some point). The previous owner already added a (rather out of place-looking) Town Car-wheel with CC-buttons, so on the way back....

.... awww yisss! That light has literally never been on in this car.

When I bought the car the previous owner (who has had it for nearly 4 years) told me that he could never find someone to enable cruise control on it, nor could he find someone to repair the ABS module.

Within a month of owning the Big Vic I have fixed both.

Me: 1, PO:0

And I think it's worth repeating; the DIY information on the Panthers is so unbelievably well-documented. Seeing all of that spread out here (and in other places) is one of the factors that made me brave enough to buy this car. So thank you for that. Truly, thank you, kind people of the internet.

#4125644 - 10/25/21 09:15 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

6x8 speakers are pretty universal in late Fords. I still have a pair that I took out of my Ranger back in 2003 I'll send ya for the price of postage. Why did I save them? Might come in handy some day!

Your door-panel service is the envy of all Box owners. It's about a half-hour job to get one panel off, and another half-hour to get it back on, assuming you can find all 20 of the screws you took out.

Enjoy your weird exotic Ford!

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4125648 - 10/25/21 09:42 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
Over the Hill

RKE can be added to DDM. Or, go to junkyard and find an LX or MGM DDM which will have RFE already programmed in. 2006 is not wired for trunk release. While at the junkyard, snag the DDM connectors from the LX. You will notice a purple with yellow wire that is not present in the 2006 CVPI DDM connector. Note the pin location and move pin over. Splice that wire to the purple with yellow wire in the trunk release button and you get remote trunk release. I did this with 2008 and it worked fine.

Too bad you are not local. I would trade a vinyl charcoal black steering wheel for your LTC. Steering wheels are easy to remove. Don't use a puller. Put a few drops of power steering fluid on the hub and let soak for a few minutes. Pulls easily by hand. Anyways, if your new head unit will accept steering control input, you can add a wire to to the clock spring connector to enable the controls.

If you are still in the USA, think about adding Autolamps.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4123414#Post4123414
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels

#4125688 - 10/25/21 11:26 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: SocalSam]
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
6x8 speakers are pretty universal in late Fords. I still have a pair that I took out of my Ranger back in 2003 I'll send ya for the price of postage. Why did I save them? Might come in handy some day!

Your door-panel service is the envy of all Box owners. It's about a half-hour job to get one panel off, and another half-hour to get it back on, assuming you can find all 20 of the screws you took out.

Enjoy your weird exotic Ford!

Hey, you never know when you'll need stuff. What kind of speakers are we talking about here? Because I've got a spare Ford speaker from the junkyard, but would like to get a decent (and matching) set of front speakers in there at some point.

Also, be glad that even on the box-Panthers it's still all bolts. On my previous car the panel was held on with breakable plastic clips that would either snap in half (the good option) or snap the panel behind it when pulling on it (the bad option).

Originally Posted By SocalSam
RKE can be added to DDM. Or, go to junkyard and find an LX or MGM DDM which will have RFE already programmed in. 2006 is not wired for trunk release. While at the junkyard, snag the DDM connectors from the LX. You will notice a purple with yellow wire that is not present in the 2006 CVPI DDM connector. Note the pin location and move pin over. Splice that wire to the purple with yellow wire in the trunk release button and you get remote trunk release. I did this with 2008 and it worked fine.

Too bad you are not local. I would trade a vinyl charcoal black steering wheel for your LTC. Steering wheels are easy to remove. Don't use a puller. Put a few drops of power steering fluid on the hub and let soak for a few minutes. Pulls easily by hand. Anyways, if your new head unit will accept steering control input, you can add a wire to to the clock spring connector to enable the controls.

If you are still in the USA, think about adding Autolamps.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4123414#Post4123414

Yeah, I'm very much not local. laugh And haven't been to the US in at least four years. Was planning to go last year, but then The Big Event happened and all non-essential travel got cancelled.

So let me get this straight, so I know what to get from the junkyard:
- Cable set that plugs into the right hand side of the DDM
- Antenna unit to plug into the end of that cable set (See pic HERE)
- Extra set of either plug going TO the DDM so I can usa a pin to wire in trunk release to my existing DDM plug. (LHS plug or bottom plug?)

Is that correct?

Are the DDMs in Town Cars the same? Can I use the antenna and cable from an LTC or do they need to come from a CV/GMQ? Because I know where to find a trashed LTC, but a CV/GMQ is a little more difficult.

Along with a set of remote fobs and a Forscan-capable adapter of course, but those can be snagged from eBay/Amazon, from the comfort of my own chair.

#4125722 - 10/25/21 01:20 PM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
Over the Hill

I did not have to deal with antenna as 08 has TPMS so DDM is already wired to the antenna. IIRC, antenna is located in the passenger C-pillar. It should not matter if the antenna is installed in the door which would simplify wiring. Antenna should be the same.

Not sure about DDM. Should be the same. Grab all DDM connectors from LTC as source for pins to install in your connector. Look for purple with yellow stripe wire. That pin and wire will be missing on your connector. I made a thread about RKE with photos a while back but can't find it now.

Edited by SocalSam (10/25/21 01:29 PM)

#4125730 - 10/25/21 01:57 PM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
Over the Hill

Found RKE info. Note position of purple with yellow strip wire in gray connector and splice to door trunk release button. There is also some antenna info.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3281442

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 68
Old_Guy_Stu 58
a_d_a_m 58
hot__box 56
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 48
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Dmblanch 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!