Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4125720 - 10/25/21 01:03 PM Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out.
Florida_Mike Offline

Climber

Loc: Northeast Florida
In the process of installing Marauder corners. I picked up a pair of 06 - 2010 corner light harnesses. Got the drivers side done with no issues. Initially the cornering light did not work, but after unplugging and replugging the harness a few times it started to work. So I figure the Vic connector pins were dirty from non use. Started on the passenger side and tried to test the harness. I had parking light and turn signal, but no cornering light. So I figured same issue as driver side. Then I noticed that I had no headlights, high or low. Nor did I have any instrument panel lights. I have parking lights and turn signals and the cornering light on the driver side. I have not plugged the passenger side harness back in, so I don’t know about the cornering light on passenger side. I have interior lights. And the radio panel dims if I cover the sensor with the light switch in auto. Looking at the fuse panel and power distribution layout, it doesn’t make sense for what I have working and not working.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Florida_Mike (10/25/21 06:51 PM)
‘04 Ice Blue P73 (POTM Jan ‘22), MZT Mod with ADTR intake pipe, Ported Plenum, BBK 70mm TB, BOC 93 Octane Tune, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows and MM tips, Fanblades with 235/50/18 Front - 245/55/18 Rear, KYB Shocks, Adco swaybars, Marauder Rear Spoiler, Aftermarket Marauder front and rear bumpers, Bumper Tuck, blacked out headlights, Marauder corner lights, Marauder fog lights, GCC Grill, body colored mirror shells. (MM cluster waiting for install.)

Links
#4125764 - 10/25/21 06:51 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline

Climber

The harnesses are plug and play, so no rewriting involved.
Is there anyway I could have damaged the LCM?
To quote Ben Stein’s character in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,
Anyone? Anyone?
‘04 Ice Blue P73 (POTM Jan ‘22), MZT Mod with ADTR intake pipe, Ported Plenum, BBK 70mm TB, BOC 93 Octane Tune, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows and MM tips, Fanblades with 235/50/18 Front - 245/55/18 Rear, KYB Shocks, Adco swaybars, Marauder Rear Spoiler, Aftermarket Marauder front and rear bumpers, Bumper Tuck, blacked out headlights, Marauder corner lights, Marauder fog lights, GCC Grill, body colored mirror shells. (MM cluster waiting for install.)

#4125774 - 10/25/21 09:07 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: TX
Would need a little more background in order to offer feedback. Is this on your 2004 P73? Which wiring diagrams are you referring to? Can you include pictures of those? Or pictures of what you have done thus far?

I ask because IIRC the cornering lights from a GMQ (and presumably a Marauder) are not plug-n-play with a CV. Or at least they weren't on our 2006 CV. Additional wiring was required. It is unclear if the same applies for a 2004, which is why I ask for the diagrams. And pictures.

Anyway...
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
1970 Plymouth Road Runner A383 pistol grip tick-tock buckets

#4125780 - 10/25/21 09:37 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
SocalSam Online   content
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Undo your mods to see if problems go away.
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels ,
Keypad Add

#4125810 - 10/26/21 05:16 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline

Climber

Yes this is on my 2004 P73.
Correction. I went out and checked after dark. My instrument panel lights do work. Everything works as it should, even auto-lights. Just no headlights in auto-on or manual on position. I could be mistaken on the plug and play, but the installed driver side appears to work. The following is true with the headlight switch in the auto or manual on position. Parking light works, turn signal works, and the cornering light works when the turn signal is on. But I also found the cornering light is on with the multifunction switch in the turn position with the key in the run and off positions. I found a video that shows that is normal. The parking lights, interior lights and instrument panel lights all turn on, when it’s dark, when unlocking the doors with the key fob. Flash to pass is also not working.

Going back and reading about the wiring mods, it looks like if a 96 CV corner harness is used, it needs to be modified. My CV wiring harness has 4 pins, so already wired for the turn signal. And I used the GM harness to connect the lights to my CV wiring.

Also found this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcFFMGkTUM

I did not have to move any wires in the GM harness as the video shows. But I think he was swapping the wrong wires when showing how to do it.

Edited by Florida_Mike (10/26/21 06:48 AM)

#4125862 - 10/26/21 12:41 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline

Climber

Found fuse 27 was blown. Replaced it. I now have headlights, high and low. I have the corner parking light and turn signal, but no cornering lights. Odd that with the fuse blown I had cornering lights.

Edited by Florida_Mike (10/26/21 12:42 PM)

#4125864 - 10/26/21 01:08 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Hi Mike,

Yeah I was suspecting a blown fuse in regard to your headlight inop scenario. Good that you found it, one thing down. That said ...

Without seeing pictures of your modifications, most specifically the wiring near the connectors and a diagram for a 2004 (to see if it is any different from our 2006, which I kinda doubt, but maybe) I can't offer much additional help. While it is true that some CVs came pre-wired for it and thus it is possible that your P73 is among them, until I see some pictures of what you have I can't tell.

What I do know is that our 2006 LX Sport was not pre-wired for cornering lights. I had to run additional wiring from the firewall connector (C260) through the driver's side of the engine bay harness that ran to both the driver's side and pax's side corners, respectively. Furthermore, I had to install new connectors, as the ones that were present could not physically support cornering lights. The same holds true for our 2010 CVPI. And the other 2010 CVPI that we had (sold it a while ago). And every other CVPI that I've bothered to dig that deep into one fender or the other.

My cornering light install began here:
Ol' Blue cornering light install

So you might take a look at that as a comparison to your situation. A couple of diagram pictures are included in that writeup, so you could compare those as well. I digress. Without data, this is as much help as can be offered. Good luck, hope you get it working!

Edited by av8or1 (10/26/21 01:11 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4125876 - 10/26/21 01:43 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline

Climber

I have the same as the YouTube video in my 3rd post in this thread.

#4126050 - 10/27/21 05:46 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline

Climber

Went out in the dark again. Still no cornering lights. And initially had a bit of a delay when switching from low to high beams. This seemed to resolve itself after switching between high and low beams a few times.
What still doesn’t make sense is why the corner lights work when fuse 27 was blown, but not after replacing it.

As stated, the Vic wiring to the corner has 4 pins and I am using the 06 - 2010 GM corner light harness.

#4126070 - 10/27/21 11:12 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
SocalSam Online   content
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Do you have a different MFS to try?
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels ,
Keypad Add

#4126072 - 10/27/21 11:24 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: SocalSam]
Florida_Mike Offline

Climber

No I do not.

#4126074 - 10/27/21 11:37 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Davidzq Offline
Climber

Loc: Seattle, WA
How did you wire up the corner lights?
From factory, each corner light is powered by the park light circuit (brown wire), then has another wire which runs to the multifunction switch, which connects them to ground.
These wires between corner lights and MFS are missing on vics and need to be added.

I'm assuming you instead connected these to the turn signal wire. The park light circuit is grounded when lights are off, thus the cornering lights would work when turn signals are triggered (but would flash), and would not work when park lights are on.

2008 P71, Norsea Blue SAP
-Message Center cluster retrofit
-Towncar Signature L heated power seats
-Long overhead console
-Compustar remote start/security

#4126076 - 10/27/21 12:35 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Davidzq]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Davidzq
How did you wire up the corner lights?
From factory, each corner light is powered by the park light circuit (brown wire), then has another wire which runs to the multifunction switch, which connects them to ground.
These wires between corner lights and MFS are missing on vics and need to be added.

I'm assuming you instead connected these to the turn signal wire. The park light circuit is grounded when lights are off, thus the cornering lights would work when turn signals are triggered (but would flash), and would not work when park lights are on.

This is correct. I was thinking that this scenario is what was at play here. Unless I saw otherwise my conclusion was a-gonna be that he doesn't have the wiring to run the cornering lights and that he would need to add that wiring to his harness, as I (and others) did. Thus my request for pictures, etc. But those haven't come forth, so I gave up the ghost.
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4126106 - 10/27/21 04:19 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline

Climber

I don’t have an account anywhere to post pictures.
I did not add any wires or splice into anything.

Please look at the video. This is what I did, but did not have to swap any wires.
The beginning is about modifying CV corners. Later, at about 3:55, he shows the GM corner swap.

Look at this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcFFMGkTUM

The cornering lights were working as they were supposed to. Everything worked fine, except headlights. Replaced the burnt out fuse (27) then had headlights, but no longer had cornering lights. The only wire change was using the GM harness, as in the video.
If I pull fuse 27, the cornering lights work when the headlight switch is on and the turn signal on. So it is wired and getting power. But then no headlights.

Edited by Florida_Mike (10/27/21 04:56 PM)

#4126126 - 10/27/21 06:26 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
don't need an account with imgur. Just click "new post" up at the top left, upload picture, upload another and copy the links to here, be it the album itself, or individual photos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
5 registered (wolf_walker, Kibbers, DES, Dmblanch, a_d_a_m), 59 Guests and 138 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
SocalSam 67
bluejay_32 64
Old_Guy_Stu 54
2011CVPI 53
a_d_a_m 53
hot__box 50
Dmblanch 46
RF_Overlord 41
GrumpMarky 35
hkerekes 32
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!