Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#4128118 - 11/18/21 07:51 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Offline

Loc: CA
Some final detail work prior to racing. (14 Days till the Lemons Ass-Freeze-Apoloza at Sonoma raceway.) If you live in the SF Bay Area come on up 12/4-12/5, and cheer us on. If you’re not in the Bay Area, I’ll try to remember to post a link to our in car live feed of the race.

As for the work; We added an under tray between the front bumper and radiator support to help push more air through the radiator. Re-taped our headlights, got the radio relocated, and cleaned out the inside. We had new tires mounted, and an alignment done a couple weeks ago. (We’re running -2.5 degrees of negative camber, and 1/8” toe in. This was a spec recommended to us by a number of other racers, we’ll see what our tire wear looks like and adjust from there.)

All that’s left to do is flush the radiator, (we have to run straight water, but have rust inhibitors in there now) and top off the fuel tank.

Fully gutted, roll cage, OMP Race Seat, 5 point harness, 3.73, Detroit Tru-Trac, Marty Tune, J-Mod by 88GrandMarq, CHE rear control arms and watts link, ARP watts link stud, Ridetech coilovers, ADTR sway bars, custom sway bar end links, Carbotech brake pads, 245/40/18 Falken RT615K+ tires on 18x8 Mustang wheels, Derale trans and PS Cooler.

May 2021 POTM.

#4129602 - 12/06/21 12:04 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Offline

We’re back from a long weekend in Sonoma. We had a good time, but spent a lot of hours wrenching on the car fixing broken stuff.

The good: We managed to finish the race. We finished 101 or 147 overall, and 46th in class. All the work to fix our transmission problems paid off. It never got above 185 all weekend. That’s a 70+ degree drop from our last visit to Sonoma.

The Bad: We have a problem with our brake system. I think our steering column is developing an issue. We have a mystery clunk in our suspension.

We wrapped up the 2021 season (our first with Lemons) 3 races, 3 finishes, and about 1500 race miles.

We’re aiming for 4 races in 2022, including a 24 hour race in September.

Lastly, just want to congratulate the Queen Victoria Team. They won Class B (Same class we are in). It is their first class win. The car is a manual swapped CVPI, running the bottom end from a junk yard car. The held off a BMW motor swapped Volvo for the class win. (Oh, and a 35 year old BMW won the overall, but one of its drivers was Randy Probst)

Fully gutted, roll cage, OMP Race Seat, 5 point harness, 3.73, Detroit Tru-Trac, Marty Tune, J-Mod by 88GrandMarq, CHE rear control arms and watts link, ARP watts link stud, Ridetech coilovers, ADTR sway bars, custom sway bar end links, Carbotech brake pads, 245/40/18 Falken RT615K+ tires on 18x8 Mustang wheels, Derale trans and PS Cooler.

May 2021 POTM.

#4129658 - 12/06/21 11:21 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
hkerekes Offline

Loc: NC
What was up with your brakes and steering column?

We thought we had a clunk in the suspension, but it turned out it was the body flexing/popping under hard braking/turns. The only way to be sure is just start checking for tight bolts, and worn parts.

What do you have for a trans cooling setup? Ours is almost under control but i think the lack of radiator ducting is the final missing piece.

Edited by hkerekes (12/06/21 11:39 PM)

#4129922 - 12/09/21 06:07 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Offline

Our Year in Review:

First I want to thank everyone on this forum. There is NO WAY we could have gotten here without all your help and advice. Our successes are your successes. Our failures are always caused by us, no matter how much I'd like to blame others. LOL.

Our first race was Sonoma in April, 2021. Ironically, this was our best race with the cleanest driving, and fewest issues.

We Finished 50 out of 132 overall, and 21 out of 62 in out class.

Our second race was Thunderhill in May 2021. We blew up our fan module, overheated the trans and car, and drove like crap, incurring a handful of penalties.

We finished 71 out of 116, and 30 out of 56 in our class.

Our final race for 2021, was Sonoma again. We had brake problems that cost us 5 hours on track. I personally caught my first 2 black flags in 3 races...one for missing a yellow and passing, the other for spinning the car in turn 3 and 3a. (Came in too hot and off the racing line.)

See Below:

But there was some good driving too...here are my first few laps, navigating traffic, and avoiding a couple of wrecks.

We finished 101 out of 147 and 44 out of 62 in class.

It wasn't easy, but we entered 3 races and managed to finish all 3.

We have a 4 race schedule in 2022, starting with Sonoma in March. Wish us luck and I'll keep you all updated.

May 2021 POTM.

#4130036 - 12/10/21 10:35 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: hkerekes]
Traffic22 Offline

Originally Posted By hkerekes
What was up with your brakes and steering column?

We thought we had a clunk in the suspension, but it turned out it was the body flexing/popping under hard braking/turns. The only way to be sure is just start checking for tight bolts, and worn parts.

What do you have for a trans cooling setup? Ours is almost under control but i think the lack of radiator ducting is the final missing piece.

Not sure if I covered this in another post, or direct reply to you in an email, but for anyone else reading and wondering:

Our master went bad, we changed it, evidence now suggests we have air trapped in our ABS. I have 3 Quarts of Motul 660 on order, and my regular mechanic is going to "electronically bleed" the system.

I was going to use the wet leaf method suggested in another post, but this seems safer and more efficient.

I think, we have some worn joints in the steering system. We had a loose lower shaft to rack bolt, and I know those joints are a known wear point. With 130,000 miles and 1500 race miles, we are replacing them out of an abundance of precaution. I looked into a race column, but not right for us at this time.

We are using the same cooler you are. (Sort of, no fan attached.) Derale Stacked plate. We run the factory fan the entire time. (See the post on page 2 of this build.) It was only 55-60 degrees all weekend, so that was in our favor, but huge drop in temps.

May 2021 POTM.

#4131676 - 12/31/21 11:55 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
Traffic22 Offline

As 2021 winds down and the 2022 race season is already on the horizon, some good and bad.

The good; my soft brake pedal has been rectified. The details are here.
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...522#Post4131522

Unfortunately I then developed a wrench light which led to the discovery of several stored codes in the PCM. That problem was rectified by replacing the BOO and cruise control brake switch. The details are documented here.
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...644#Post4131644

I was able to rebuild some of the steering components, lower shaft, mid shaft, collar and boot. The results exceeded my expectations, and our steering is much smoother and quieter than it’s ever been. The details are documented here.
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...642#Post4131642

Back in October, I had my diff rebuilt, including new ring and pinion, Detroit Tru-Trac, new axels, and all new bearings. Everything was great, and thought the mechanic had actually done a really good job.

When I went to change the diff oil, (It’s good practice to change the diff oil after a few hundred miles, and actually recommended in the FRPP instructions for their ring and pinion.) I discovered the mechanic had replaced one of the diff cover bolts with some random bolt. It also appeared at first, he had forgotten to put one of the bolts in. However, upon closer inspection, I discovered this:

Yep, that’s a bolt broken off in the diff housing. Needless to say, I was pissed.

Now, when I was in my 20s, and 30s, I probably would have flown into a rage, and yelled at the mechanic. Now that I’m in my 50s, I take a calmer and more measured approach to life’s little hiccups. I had a firm, but calm discussion with the mechanic. He admitted to using the odd bolt, claimed he did know about the broken bolt, and we reached an agreement to make things right.

One of my race team mates is a professional mechanic and he’s going to extract it, by either drilling it and using an extraction bit. Or, we’ll tack another bolt to it and back it out.

I’m glad I found this after we put 300 race miles on he car. Had I found it before our last race, I’m not sure I would have been confident in the diff work. After 300 miles of racing, and no diff issues, we’ll fix this issue, clean out the diff, fill it back up, and seal it up with new OEM bolts. As long as we don’t get contamination in there, should be all good.

The car is really close to being ready to race in March. We’ve done a ton of brake system work, and really the only thing left that isn’t new are the calipers. I have a set of new Motorcraft calipers we’ve been keeping as spares. Feels like now is as good a time as any.

We are also looking into changing to 17” wheels and running 275/40/17 versus the 245/40/18 we run now.

May be a while before I update the build, but work continues.

Best wishes to all in 2022.

252 Days to the 24 Hours of Lemons 24 Hour Race at High Plains Raceway!!!!!

May 2021 POTM.

#4131906 - 01/03/22 01:05 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
This thread is AWESOME. Love seeing this build!

’97 Marquis M75
‘99 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L‘21 F-250 4X4, 6.2L‘85 Impala, 5.0L “Hot Box”
Front Window Regulator Guide 1995 - 1997 Tune Up Guide How To: Fuel Injector Replacement

#4131926 - 01/03/22 03:16 PM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: Traffic22]
SocalSam Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Racers really push the limit and show how good our cars really are. Thanks for sharing.
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels

#4132006 - 01/04/22 02:07 AM Re: 24 Hours of Lemons Race Build [Re: SocalSam]
Traffic22 Offline

Originally Posted By hot__box
This thread is AWESOME. Love seeing this build!

Thanks so much. It’s a labor of love, and has been really educational. I know more about the car than I ever thought I would. It’s also been a great learning experience.

Originally Posted By SocalSam
Racers really push the limit and show how good our cars really are. Thanks for sharing.

It is amazing how good they are. And fast, even on a stock motor, once you start cutting weight.

I honestly can’t thank everyone on this forum enough for all the help. From figuring out where to tap the ignition for our kill switch, to help with removing the dash, advice on brake problems, trouble codes, and the dozens of posts from others where I was able to look up info, we couldn’t do it without all the information and help here.

May 2021 POTM.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
2 registered (M_P_A, ClaySmith), 30 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 63
Old_Guy_Stu 58
hot__box 56
a_d_a_m 54
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 41
Dmblanch 38
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!