Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 105 of 107 < 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 >
Topic Options
#4128906 - 11/28/21 03:02 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
TheCableGuy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
Why not just take the port from the OEM pressure sender and ground out the wire? That’s what I did for my oil pressure gauge. GlowShift also makes ‘sandwhich plates’ and Iv been wondering if those would also work.

Previous rides:
2011 Sierra 1500 155K, too many mods to list. (RIP 01-05-2019)
2001 Durango R/T 5.9. 230K. SOLD 5-1-19

They laugh at me because I’m different. I laugh at them because they’re all the same- Heath Ledger

#4128956 - 11/28/21 02:55 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: TheCableGuy]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By TheCableGuy
Why not just take the port from the OEM pressure sender and ground out the wire? That’s what I did for my oil pressure gauge. GlowShift also makes ‘sandwhich plates’ and Iv been wondering if those would also work.

Hey CableGuy. Hmmmmmm...well allow me to decipher this just a bit. I think that what you are describing is a grounding of the oil pressure switch's single wire via a connection to the engine block (or other ground source), coupled with a re-purposing of the 1/4" NPT port for use by your oil pressure sender. In the OEM configuration this port is utilized by the OEM pressure switch. Then you simply discarded the switch. In this scenario you fake-out the display's low oil pressure light by grounding that wire, which is what will happen with any oil pressure >= ~6 PSI. Do I understand you correctly?

If so, that is a viable approach, certainly. However I would prefer to go about things a tad differently. Specifically, I want to avoid the elimination of the OEM oil pressure switch. I'd rather it remain in the loop. What I am attempting to address here is the oil temperature sensor. The pressure stuff already has a home on the frame rail. So in the end there are three sensors/senders/switches involved in this configuration:

1) Ford OEM oil pressure switch
2) AutoMeter oil pressure sender
3) AutoMeter oil temperature sensor

The first two will reside in a union on the frame rail. The pressurized oil will be directed to that union via braided hose. It is the third element that I am contending with at present. I could simply add it to the union as mentioned previously. Definitely not the ideal solution, but it would satisfy our needs. To kill time while I wait on the power side harness, I thought I would play around with it to see if I could find a port on the oil filter housing into which the sensor could be placed. 'Came up empty.

Finally, sure, I considered the sandwich plates. GlowShift is not the only manufacturer of those dontchaknow. My only issue with those is that they have a propensity to leak down the road just a bit, if not immediately. For that reason I have not given them serious consideration thus far. However given the limitations I face it might be an alternative to which I could give second thought. I must admit to being hesitant to use one for the reason cited above. I would also need to measure to ensure that there would be sufficient clearance to install one. My knee-jerk there is that it should fit without much issue, with the only caveat being the power steering pump. Anyway it'd need to be test-fitted for verification, obviously. Hmmmmm...well I'll give it a think-over.

Anyway thank you for the feedback. 'Appreciated!

Edited by av8or1 (11/28/21 03:03 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
1970 Plymouth Road Runner A383 pistol grip tick-tock buckets

#4129064 - 11/30/21 01:07 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Well fellas, the folk in AZ didn't ship my power side harness on Friday. The fella who runs the outfit decided to hold it back until today so that the tech who built it originally could fix his mistake. However the tech called in sick. Thus the owner decided to just fix it himself. As mentioned, that happened today. Therefore it won't begin its journey back to us until tomorrow. While I understand the point in making a lesson for an employee, I must admit to being a tad annoyed with the intentional delay. I need my harness back. Won't arrive until the end of the week at best now. Oh well, 'is what it is. Despite that development I decided to proceed with the preparations. Over the weekend I finished the re-pinning of the connector on the driver's side, secured the three primary ground eyelets in the engine bay harness to the driver's fender, ran one of the large firewall connectors to its opening in the firewall and then mated it with its other half, which is part of the harness that runs behind the dash. The plan tonight was to pull Ol' Blue out of the workshop and install the dash.

I had just begun the prep of rolling stuff out of the way so that I could move her outside when the phone rang. It was the wife-eee and son, who were calling me to relay news that Whitey was acting strangely. Fortunately they had made it to a Walmart parking lot (of all places) and were ok. Ergo they weren't stranded in an intersection, at a traffic light or along a roadway somewhere. That much was to the good. The wife-eee informed me that the instrument panel had "gone blind" and that she couldn't start Whitey. I had a good idea as to the source of the issue, but I decided to take more stuff than I needed in the event that Whitey decided that tonight was the night that I needed to have a curve ball thrown my way. So I loaded up the tools 'n such into The 5-O and off I went. I was enthusiastically greeted by the wife-eee and son upon arrival. Naturally the lil' un, since he knows how to open the hood, set about telling me everything that he knew to be wrong with Whitey:

I listened intently, knowing that these are the moments that you'll remember as a dad once you and your wife are no longer cool when viewed through your children's lens. After he was finished, I decided to turn the problem into a teaching event. I pulled out the DVMM, which he is kinda aware of, and we worked through the problem together. Sure enough, the DVMM told the story: bad alternator. So we pulled the cables out of The 5-O and began to give it a charge:

While the wife-eee went shopping. When she emerged, I let the lil' un give her the news. He also briefed her on our plan to get home. laugh He did well with that and we made it back, no issues. As fortune would so have it, I held onto the alternator that came with Ol' Blue:

And since we upgraded the alternator that is going back into her, this old one has nothing better to do than to be pressed back into service. With that I decided to continue the teaching opportunity by allowing the lil' un to do the bulk of the work of the alternator exchange. Soon enough we had it completed:

He insisted on starting Whitey afterwards. We had to jump it again naturally, but after it was up-n-running the lil' un told me that our job wasn't completed until we had conducted another test. He was correct of course. Before I knew it he came out of the workshop with the DVMM in hand. I allowed him to apply the probes and look at the display. "14.12 Volts!" he exclaimed. "Is that good?" I asked. "Yes sir, that is what you want!" Well done son, well done. Anyway we took Whitey for a test drive and then showed her back to her room in the garage. Threw the charger on it for a while during dinner. Afterwards, the TPMS light had illuminated in The 5-O so he wanted to fix that "pesky issue" as well. We did that, went for fuel and then returned The 5-O to its customary home. Disconnected the charger, conducted a surface voltage test and called it good (for now).

And that was our night. I made no progress on Ol' Blue. However the cables are running later than anticipated based on what I was told. And one night is nothing in the big picture. For it is the time spent with the lil' un on this night, along with other similar events, that I will remember for the remainder of my days on this planet. Thus no complaints whatsoever. It was a good night fellas. A good night.

Hopefully I can resume the dash thing tomorrow. Y'all take care!

Edited by av8or1 (11/30/21 03:08 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4129078 - 11/30/21 06:07 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
That's some good quality time there.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4129088 - 11/30/21 09:06 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
SocalSam Online   content
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Great story on so many levels.
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels

#4129150 - 11/30/21 10:28 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Thanks y'all, I appreciate the kind words.

Well fellas, the dash is in:

And the primary firewall connector has been mated to its other half, which lives within the dash (the one on the right in this picture):

Inquired with the fella in AZ today to see if they shipped the harness, no word received. 'Guess I will give them a call in order to verify. Several items remain outstanding prior to being ready for the first power-up and engine start. Hope to make more progress on that after work tomorrow.

That's all I have at present. Retrieving the dash from storage, moving Ol' Blue out of the workshop so that I would have room to place it within the cabin, pushing her back into the workshop and then finagling and securing that critter into position was kinda-sorta time consuming. That and I had relatively little time for project related work tonight. Real work that keeps the roof over our head beckoned. I responded. laugh

Hope all is well!

Edited by av8or1 (11/30/21 10:33 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4129154 - 12/01/21 06:42 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Just a thought: you did put oil in the engine, right?

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4129156 - 12/01/21 07:11 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
Over the Hill

Learned this trick from turntable restorers. Use Nu Finish polish on the instrument cluster cover. It will get rid of swirls and surface clouding. I did that to my new to me Message Center cluster and it looks brand new. Plus when it rains inside, the cluster will repel water, lol. Joking aside, if you look at my MC install thread, the photo of cluster lights shows how clear the polished plastic is.

Edited by SocalSam (12/01/21 07:16 AM)
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels

#4129560 - 12/05/21 10:25 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Stu- Oil? rofl

Sam- Thank you for that tip. I'll have to give that a go when the time comes.

Well fellas, when the power side harness didn't show up on Friday I suspected that it wouldn't arrive on Saturday either. And sure enough that was the case. With that development I have been relegated to plodding along at an even slower pace than normal. By Sunday night I was searching for something to do. More on that in a minute.

So this weekend's work effort began with the starter. I decided to bench test the one that came in Ol' Blue:

Since it was functional way-back-when and since these starters tend to last a fair amount of time before biting the dust. While I didn't take a look at its signature, it did pass the functional test. And so I decided to go with it. Mind you, I'll likely replace with new prior to putting the final touches on the engine. However for this first start, I had planned on merely tossing this one back in temporarily. That said, since the aforementioned harness is still outstanding, I mean heck, why not? I have time to kill. So the old starter received a touch of The Brilliance in the same fashion that most of the other pieces-n-parts have experienced:

And then slapped it into position:

Keeping with that theme of a pending engine start, I decided to bypass the oil cooler business for the time being. Fallout from that decision included the need to swap the oil filter housings:

As well as the oil filter, filter gasket and pressure switch:

I'll revisit the oil cooler business down the road a bit. It should be straightforward enough, famous last words 'n all. laugh

While lying beneath the engine compartment, I noticed that the MAF connector wasn't fully seated. Wha-? So I attempted a re-connect a few times only to notice that it would not lock into position as it should. Sigh. That means a connector issue. Sure enough, the one that came with Ol' Blue was missing the locking tab:

The good news was that one of my spare harnesses had the identical connector, the locking tab of which was present and functional. And so the depinning-and-repinning that is involved with a connector exchange ensued:

Culminating in a repair that yielded a new-to-us locking MAF connector:

SO glad that I keep these harnesses on-hand. The discovery of this disguised disconnect (no pun intended) is both fortuitous and fortunate. I didn't notice the problem during the rebuilding of the engine bay harness because the remainder of the connector was in good condition. The initial mating of the connector to the MAF felt ok; there is a sliding lock that is involved with this connector. I likely assumed that I heard a click when I slid the connector onto the MAF and closed the lock. However that couldn't have been the case. 'Musta been distracted somehow. 'Happens. Oh well, 'found it in the end. Just another instance in which the condition that the previous owners left this gem came back to bite us in the tail. Granted, these types of issues happen with most any vehicle; I mean harness anomalies are not specific to Ol' Blue. I'm just saying that in totality, in the grand scheme, with the broad brush strokes that paint the overall picture of how we found her, it is little surprise that these little issues continue to crop up. Even now. laugh

I digress. As mentioned above, by the end of the afternoon and into this evening I was searching for work to tackle while waiting on the harness from the fellas in AZ. I had already connected all of the grounds between the dash, the harnesses and the body. I had hung all of the connectors and mated them, etc. While rummaging around, I found this:

Which is a metal separator plate that lives just below the steering column and above the driver's knees. What the heck, let's give it some glamor too:

That's a bit "blingy" but you'll never see it, so whatever. I don't recall if I have mentioned this or not, but like many things with Ol' Blue, I found more stuff that was broken. In this case it was the connector for the engine/radiator fan. That was little surprise to me considering how they had "hot wired" all of that MESS together. Remember that?!?! Having noticed the broken connector a short while ago, I snatched a complete fan/shroud assembly from a 2011 CVPI during the most recent salvage yard run. Interestingly enough, this fan appears to have a production date in 2014. Huh. Anyway in my endeavor to find stuff to do to fill the time, I decided to disassemble the old, broken fan (the shroud was still in good condition) with the purpose of contributing to the lil 'uns metal recycling bin. And then decided to give the other shroud a bath:

Will paint it next, heck why not? I'm here.

And speaking of the lil 'un I need to help get him to sleep. Hope all is well!

Edited by av8or1 (12/05/21 11:47 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4129750 - 12/08/21 12:59 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Well fellas, we have some progress regarding the first engine start. However I don't feel that I'm out-of-the-woods just yet. More on that in a minute. The harness arrived yesterday afternoon so I threw that in last night. Still hadn't sourced a new battery though. 'Did that tonight. Decided to go with a DieHard AGM:

Then we buttoned up the last of the prep to include an engine priming. She was ready:

I attempted to prime the fuel system, but wasn't seeing the behavior I expected. Hmmmmm... perhaps there is something I don't know about this system? TBD. Interior under-dash lighting was on (I hadn't removed the bulbs) and she was letting me know that the driver's door was open via the ding-dong. And doing so quite noticeably I might add. Anyway after a few KOEO cycles I attempted the first crank. Nothing. Great. Cracked open the engine start wiring diagrams to see where I'd gone South. Turns out that I forgot to re-connect the large connector that joins the engine bay harness to the engine harness. You know, the one that I had to replace because of a broken tab? Yeah that one. Sheesh. Oh well. So I did that and attempted another start. This time she cranked over well. So we had a cranking event but no start/run. So what's the issue? Well, I wasn't liking what I was experiencing in regard to the fuel priming business. Therefore I decided to begin with that: the fuel. I grabbed a quick disconnect coupler tool and pulled the fuel line from the fuel rail. Yup, dry as a bone:

For completion, I zip-tied it into a vertical position so that I could see it from within the cabin (not that you'd need to do that, but I did it anyway) and went inside for another go. Nada. Niet. Niente.

So we have a crank, no start, no run, no fuel scenario to contend with. Unfortunately I had to leave it there for the night. Considering that the goal was a successful start/run, I'd have to grade this as a FAIL. And what I meant by out of the woods was that I couldn't verify that I was seeing oil make it to the top of the cylinder heads. I don't have a small mirror to place down inside the oil filler neck, much less the CCV tube (which is too small anyway). So I dunno, I may need to remove the valve covers to ensure that something isn't screwed up there too. That said, we did manage to apply electrical energy to the vehicle and it didn't catch on fire. The door dinger WORKED, the lights worked and the display behaved as expected. In addition the engine did spin without issue and it didn't catch on fire either, not that there was any fuel being introduced but let's not do a nit WRT that. laugh And so all-n-all I suppose it wasn't a total FAIL. Look for the good. I think I'll verify the functionality of the new cornering lights and fog lights immediately after the engine start is successful. But I digress.

Hope all is well!

Edited by av8or1 (12/08/21 01:12 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4129766 - 12/08/21 10:57 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
Over the Hill

Waiting for the good news!

5.4 3V tech tip for building oil pressure before start is to WOT when cranking. Engine will crank but not start. This quiets cam phaser rattle of death on start up. Also recommended after sitting for a long time. Good bet Ford included this in DBW Panthers. Worth looking into. More likely you are three steps ahead, know this, and calling Captain Obvious.

#4129768 - 12/08/21 11:00 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
Over the Hill

'Nater cable is massive. Ready for competition subs, lol.

#4129776 - 12/08/21 02:39 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Sam- Thanks!

Houston, we have lift-off! Yup, Ol' Blue is alive once again! Wooooo-hooooooo! I had an epiphany last night. The thought was in regard to the fuel problem: I was willing to bet that I hadn't turned the IFS on again. During disassembly, I switched/turned everything off, to include that. Sure enough, I made a bone-head by failing to flip the switch back on. No wonder there was no fuel! rolleyes spank nono laugh

In a way this type of failure cause isn't a bad thing. I mean at least I don't have an issue with the wiring that I created nor the pump nor the tank nor the rail nor the injectors, and so on. Just a loose nut behind the wheel. laugh In my own defense I had piled a whole crap-load of stuff (parts) on top of the trunk. Thus somehow the need to do anything inside didn't come to mind. Regardless we're up 'n running fellas! I think that we have an exhaust leak somewhere that I need to track down, but no problem, we can do that. Seemed to be happening with the EGR but TBD. Will deal with that later on...

Can't see much from this picture:

But that is Ol' Blue under its own power:

Well kinda. There was no plan to involve an attempt at moving her, as I haven't installed the booster nor the master yet. The goal was simply to hear it run. I've done that, so it's time to press ahead with the remainder of the plan. Next is the fit-n-finish, paint, interior and the like. But I digress.

Another milestone passed. The wife-eee was the first to see it. She was pleased. It's been a good morning fellas.

Hope all is well.

Edited by av8or1 (12/08/21 02:49 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4129790 - 12/08/21 03:50 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: SocalSam]
2011LX Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SE WI
Originally Posted By SocalSam

5.4 3V tech tip for building oil pressure before start is to WOT when cranking. Engine will crank but not start. This quiets cam phaser rattle of death on start up. Also recommended after sitting for a long time. Good bet Ford included this in DBW Panthers. Worth looking into. More likely you are three steps ahead, know this, and calling Captain Obvious.

FWIW, if you are ever working on anything else, shutting the fuel down on WOT is an industry standard that's existed since EFI became commonplace in the '80's. Not unique to certain vehicles or to Ford!
Medium Light Stone interior

#4129826 - 12/08/21 06:37 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: 2011LX]
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By 2011LX
Originally Posted By SocalSam

FWIW, if you are ever working on anything else, shutting the fuel down on WOT is an industry standard that's existed since EFI became commonplace in the '80's. Not unique to certain vehicles or to Ford!

Page 105 of 107 < 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 68
Old_Guy_Stu 58
a_d_a_m 58
hot__box 56
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 48
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Dmblanch 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!