Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4132294 - 01/07/22 09:46 AM Removing the steering column tilt lever?
GooneyBird Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Alright, I feel dumb for asking, but...

I'm trying to wire in the radio remote buttons on my steering wheel, and that involves adding a few pins to the plug coming out of the clockspring.

And that involves taking the column shrouds off, which in turn necessitate the removal of the little lever that controls the tilt function. There are indents on the shaft, but grabbing them with an adjustable wrench and turning the little shaft clockwise OR counterclockwise just feels like I'm stripping the threads. (You know that mushy feeling? That...)

How do you remove that little lever? Is it a press-fit? Is there a nut behind it I'm rotating?

Links
#4132300 - 01/07/22 11:27 AM Re: Removing the steering column tilt lever? [Re: GooneyBird]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Maybe they changed something in the 10 years since my 97, but mine is screwed in, normal right-hand threads. Go for it.

#4132302 - 01/07/22 11:30 AM Re: Removing the steering column tilt lever? [Re: GooneyBird]
SocalSam Offline
banned
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Only one wire needed. Add to clock spring connector. Access by removing wheel.
2004 CV LX Sport #2
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, POTM 6/22

Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels ,
Door Keypad , Passenger Seat Power

#4132306 - 01/07/22 11:44 AM Re: Removing the steering column tilt lever? [Re: GooneyBird]
Davidzq Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Seattle, WA
It just unscrews, you'll find flat spots on it for a wrench. But you can slip the shroud off without removing the lever.

As far as additing the wires, there's one for the Vol/Next buttons in pin 5, and another for the Temp buttons in pin 4. If you're using an audio controller (such as an audiophile) with an aftermarket radio, these temp buttons can be used as additional radio controls.

Edited by Davidzq (01/07/22 11:45 AM)

2008 P71, Norsea Blue SAP
-Message Center cluster retrofit
-Towncar Signature L heated power seats
-Long overhead console
-Compustar remote start/security

Who's Online
3 registered (Denal, TheShadow, TheBestNeverRest), 66 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!