Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4132482 - 01/09/22 10:23 AM Ultimate Guide to 1/64 Box Die-Cast Models!
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Part 1: 1979-87
Two manufacturers, Matchbox and Greenlight.

Matchbox (1987, Macau, China):

Two castings, police and taxi. Police has a giant 80's radar cannon on the LR door, spotlights, light bar and push bars. Taxi has push bars and taxi light. Both have a 1987-style grille and early-style mirrors, cornering lights (barely) molded into front fenders.

Nice job capturing the spirit of the box, although the windows are too flat and the hood contours taper too much going rearward.

Available with various paint jobs. Police version is more common, but neither is rare, expensive or valuable. I got this taxi NIB for 5 bucks.

Underside detail is strictly pro forma. I guess they felt they had to do something, so this is what they came up with.

Wheels are Superfast 8-hole, with plastic tires. Nothing special.

Interior has police equipment on dash and package shelf, no door cards, LX-style bench seats.

Greenlight (2020, China)

Greenlight offers several versions, 1979 (red), 1983 and 1987 (black). All use the same base casting with different grilles. Police, taxi and civilian models are available, with various wheels/hubcaps. Painted light detail front and rear.

LX-style bench seat interior with excellent dash detail and 4-spoke steering wheel, but improper base-model door cards.

A more accurate casting than the Matchbox. Wheelbase scales out properly, but the hood isn't quite right. The contours have no taper at all front to rear.

Currently in production, easy to find. Price $8-12

Note that the black '87 has been customized, so don't go looking for it. So far I've only seen it as a "not really Men In Black" slicktop version (that happens to include a man in a black suit and shades) with dog-dish hubcaps, and various police cars.

Underneath, some effort was made, with proper fuel tank placement but rear leaf springs. Nice engine/trans detail but the tailshaft is too long (really picking nits here but that's what I do). Muffler is too small and exits at the side like a wagon's. Wonder why that is? Read on.

Greenlight wagon/Country Squire (2018, China)

That's right, they did a wagon! Features an opening tailgate, which is hit or miss. Usually they only open halfway. Features proper spare-tire hump at the RR and base-model bench seats, with the same great dash and door-card detail, base-model door cards with window cranks.

Recent production, easy to find, $8-12

Mercury Colony Park version is also available. No Mercury sedan available at this time.

Stay tuned for '88-91 versions.

Edited by Old_Guy_Stu (01/09/22 10:37 AM)
Edit Reason: more blather

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4132614 - 01/11/22 09:52 AM Re: Ultimate Guide to 1/64 Box Die-Cast Models! [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
The taxi is now an LX:

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

Moderator:  Moby_Vic 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 68
Old_Guy_Stu 58
a_d_a_m 58
hot__box 56
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 48
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Dmblanch 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!