Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#4131744 - 01/02/22 06:33 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: SocalSam]
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By SocalSam
I've had my driver door panel off countless times fixing stuff and installing options. The trick with installing panel is to remove the handle first so you do not have to align the handle to the latch. Makes installing the panel easy.

I just got into Forscan myself. None of the youtube videos I looked at tinkered with As Built format. Used one of the many Hex to Binary converters to finish configuring my Message Center instrument cluster. If you have not seen it, google search "Forscan Panther spreadsheet" for more options.

And another (unsolicited) tip... Fantastic you got the complete door harness. Pins are very easy to extract from the connector. Use a bamboo kabob stick to release the pin. Works every time.

Forscan is a great tool. I make it a point to get the proper diagnostic software for any vehicle I own. When I had my previous car (an Opel Vectra C) I got Opcom, for my bike I've got GS911, and now Forscan for the Crown Vic. Just resetting one service light on the BMW GS made the adapter pay for itself, and that's not counting the fact that I can do the same for my wife's BMW F700GS, or my dad's K1200RS.
But that's motorcycle stuff, and we're here for the Panthers. smile

And yes, I'm very happy with the whole harness. I plan on sticking a 2-Din radio in there with proper steering wheel control support, and hope to reuse some of those pins to complete the plug underneath the column so the radio remote buttons on the wheel continue to the radio.

Originally Posted By hot__box
You’ve got Grand Marquis side marker lights.

And is that a Dickey’s BBQ cup.. lmao laugh

Welcome aboard.

Actually, I think they're Marauder lights. Not sure though..

Fun fact: side repeaters are required here by law, and the side marker light is being used as a side repeater along with the blinking turn indicator on the front.

Also, one of my reverse lights is not a white bulb but a red bulb, and it's hooked up to a separate switch on the dash to provide a rear fog light, another requirement to pass road legality inspections. I'll get some pics of that too.

And yes, that is a Dicky's cup. A souvenir from our last trip to the US. smile

Originally Posted By Traffic22
What a great build/project. It’s got to be awesome having a unique but recognizable car in a place almost no one else has one. So cool.

The reactions I get are great. No-one has a clue about what a Ford Crown Victoria is when I tell them, but then I just say that I've got that one generic police car from every Hollywood movie ever, and they just go "Oh those!"

Getting it insured was fun though. Not a single insurer had the option online to select a "Crown Victoria" under "Ford", so to get a quote I had to call them and explain just what the hell I just bought. At my current insurance it had to be added to the system manually, which means that on paper I now have a...
*pulls out insurance papers*
------------------------
Make: Ford USA
Model: Crown Victoria
Type: Police Interceptor
------------------------

Normally it would say something like
------------------------
Make: Opel
Model: Vectra C
Type: Z18XER GTS
------------------------

so not having an engine code or whatever on there as a type is sure to freak out some people.

I got checked for papers and alcohol when driving home from the inlaws over Christmas. This is normal, and something they do just about every Christmas. The cop took one look at my papers, and then was far more interested in the Crown Vic, asking me if the spotlight still worked (yes), if it had any sirens or lights (nope, and even if it did I wouldn't be telling him), and if I thought it would outrun his cop car. (Probably...)

Photos of Crown Vics cruising in European cities are always welcome.

I have so many pictures of the Crown Vic simply Just Not Fitting In.

I mean, in front it's fine, but in the back...

... yeah, no.

Let's just say I don't really lose it much on parking lots.

Narrow streets are a challenge though... The right wheels are right up against the curb, and it still sticks out. The Suzuki Swift to the rear is completely overshadowed.

And here's a snapshot of it with my old car, aformentioned Opel Vectra C GTS. Great car, but...mostly bland to drive... and a fragile (to put it mildly) electrical system. CANbus + biodegradable wiring and plugs = you're gonna have a bad time.

#4131788 - 01/02/22 12:06 PM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
SocalSam Online   content
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Those cheeky Americans are melting the planet again, lol.

Originally Posted By GooneyBird
Photos of Crown Vics cruising in European cities are always welcome.

I have so many pictures of the Crown Vic simply Just Not Fitting In.

I mean, in front it's fine, but in the back...

... yeah, no.

Let's just say I don't really lose it much on parking lots.

Narrow streets are a challenge though... The right wheels are right up against the curb, and it still sticks out. The Suzuki Swift to the rear is completely overshadowed.

And here's a snapshot of it with my old car, aformentioned Opel Vectra C GTS. Great car, but...mostly bland to drive... and a fragile (to put it mildly) electrical system. CANbus + biodegradable wiring and plugs = you're gonna have a bad time.
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels

#4131816 - 01/02/22 04:27 PM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
Originally Posted By GooneyBird

You’ve got Grand Marquis side marker lights.

And is that a Dickey’s BBQ cup.. lmao laugh

Welcome aboard.

Actually, I think they're Marauder lights. Not sure though..

Fun fact: side repeaters are required here by law, and the side marker light is being used as a side repeater along with the blinking turn indicator on the front.

Also, one of my reverse lights is not a white bulb but a red bulb, and it's hooked up to a separate switch on the dash to provide a rear fog light, another requirement to pass road legality inspections. I'll get some pics of that too.

And yes, that is a Dicky's cup. A souvenir from our last trip to the US. smile

I’m not so sure the Marauder and Marquis side markers are any different. If anything, the Marauder markers may be factory tinted. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

& yeah, I was going to ask about that. So what’s the deal with the rear turn signals? I recall something about European vehicles requiring amber turn signals; and that several European imported 2004+ Crown Vics had to be switched to the ‘98-‘99(CVPI)/1998-2003Civillian) rear taillights because they had the amber cut out for the turn signals. I can’t remember if that was for all EU vehicles or only the United Kingdom?

And what the hell lol ..a red fog light on the back is required by law. Interesting.

Oh, and those pictures are cool.

’97 Marquis M75
‘99 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L‘21 F-250 4X4, 6.2L‘85 Impala, 5.0L “Hot Box”
Front Window Regulator Guide 1995 - 1997 Tune Up Guide How To: Fuel Injector Replacement

#4131858 - 01/03/22 05:49 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: hot__box]
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

I’m not so sure the Marauder and Marquis side markers are any different. If anything, the Marauder markers may be factory tinted. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

& yeah, I was going to ask about that. So what’s the deal with the rear turn signals? I recall something about European vehicles requiring amber turn signals; and that several European imported 2004+ Crown Vics had to be switched to the ‘98-‘99(CVPI)/1998-2003Civillian) rear taillights because they had the amber cut out for the turn signals. I can’t remember if that was for all EU vehicles or only the United Kingdom?

And what the hell lol ..a red fog light on the back is required by law. Interesting.

Oh, and those pictures are cool.

Thanks. Have another one of the Crown Vic fitting into the car wash like it was meant to go in there. laugh

Like a glove

Anyway, yeah, turn indicators. By law, turn indicators are required to be amber or white in the front, and amber in the rear. Our cars do not have that option.

HOWEVER! If a car has been previously legally registered in another EU country, the Dutch DMV is required to honor that registration and register the car. This is to make sure that, say, a French car with yellow lights can legally drive in The Netherlands on Dutch plates.
Loophole though; German TUV allows for red turn indicators in the rear, which is why most American cars are first imported into Germany, taken through TUV, and then put on German plates, making it a completely legal German car, same as a new Audi or Mercedes bought locally.
That 'German' car (often with the German plates still in plastic in the rear set) is then taken to the Dutch RDW (our DMV)and its German papers are easily converted to a Dutch registration. I'm quite positive this is how my CVPI came here, as I still have the red turn indicators in the rear.

Front turn indicators are another fun topic though. Dutch (and German, AFAIK) law states that the side repeaters must be visible from 6 meters (20 foot) behind the front bumper, and 1 meter (3 feet) away from the side of the bumper. IE: exactly where another car would be when changing lanes. A Crown Vic does not have side repeaters, nor do the front turn indicators shine sideways far enough to be of any use.

What most American cars have is a cheap side-repeater stuck to the fender (or something), and they only stick that on for the yearly inspection. The rest of the time the wiring is tucked away safely and the lights are in a glove box or something.

What the person converting mine did was quite clever; they converted the side marker bulbs to flash with the turn indicators, while still functioning as side markers through a dual filament bulb. It meets the legal requirement without having an ugly aftermarket stick-on side repeater.

See a video HERE.

On the subject of a rear fog light; having one is a legal requirement here (and in other EU countries). So the Crown Vic had to have one. What most other importers do is stick a cheap bolt-on rear light under the bumper, wire it up to a switched 12V and a separate switch in the cabin, done. It's ugly, but it passes inspection.

Look under the left side of the bumper of this E150. There's a very aftermarket-looking rear light, that's the rear fog light. This is how most American imports have it.

Now compare to this. (Yes, I put the car in reverse just to illustrate that one of the two backup lights still work.) One of the white bulbs has been replaced with a red bulb, and wired to a separate switch on the dash. I looked, and unfortunately the original wiring has been cut so I can't restore the original configuration if I ever wanted to.

#4132880 - 01/14/22 06:48 AM Re: 2007 CVPI - making the move from Texas to Europe [Re: GooneyBird]
GooneyBird Offline
n00b

Brief update. When I bought the car it came with one heated mirror, on the right side. At some point in its life the right mirror got damaged, someone replaced it with a heated one and came to the conclusion that it would plug right in and work.

Well, after a lengthy debate with eBay’s global shipping program I’ve managed to procure a heated left mirror, balancing the whole thing out again.

Some wrenching later…

…and there’s a left heated mirror too. Btw; I still needed to replace the mirror cap when I took this picture. That has been done after cleaning it up a bit.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 68
Old_Guy_Stu 58
a_d_a_m 58
hot__box 56
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 48
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Dmblanch 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!