Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 107 of 107 < 1 2 105 106 107
Topic Options
#4130916 - 12/20/21 08:14 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: TX
Fellas ... earlier today I extracted the panels from the salvage yard LX. I did so for the purpose of determining their condition and thus suitability for inclusion in the Ol' Blue project. This is the report of what I found.

Because it received the most damage, the pax rear door was my first port-o-call:

Fortunately it is in good shape overall. Just a few scratches that should clean-up easily. Thus the exchange will definitely be on the agenda for this particular component. I then moved on to the driver's side rear door:

On first blush, the reflections of light indicated only a small pea-sized dent in the general proximity of the door handle. However upon further inspection I found a deep scratch on the lower section near the front edge:

Thus in the end the question resolves to a simple one of "which one do you wanna fix?" And with that in mind I will opt to just repair the (presumably) original door that came on Ol' Blue. This one from the salvage LX will be returned to storage. Next came the front valance:

Leaves and dirt aside, the one from Ol' Blue on the left is not in as good of shape as the one from the salvage LX. And so I think I'll go with the latter. The grill though looked almost perfect and is thus certainly re-usable. TBD there. I have a backup but don't recall its condition off-hand. Finally there was the hood. You might recall that the one that was present on Ol' Blue when we brought her home was clearly a replacement for the original (or for even however many hoods came after that original, I mean who knows?!). Although it was painted in DX on the topside, underneath it was red. This was the picture that I posted way-way-way-long-ago during the disassembly:

And of course there was a date tag of 2009 on it. So clearly not original to the vehicle. And it had a couple of dents to boot. Thus it was relegated to long-term storage as a backup. By contrast, the one that came from the salvage LX was indeed the original to that vehicle and thus painted in DX on the front-back-sides-n-edges. Its underside is in relatively good condition:

It could do with a cleaning and a couple of replacement plastic retainers. Then of course a paint freshening. Its opposite side has good paint, but an obvious, oil-canning style dent:

That is readily apparent from quite a distance. Uuuggghhh. Oh well, it's still better than the crappy red-n-blue-with-a-few-dents option, so I'll just have to repair this dent while I'm at it.

Anyway that is the latest status. Gonna do dinner then head back to the workshop to begin on the driver's side rear door. With the introduction of this additional body work I am just hoping that I can finish by the time the warm wx window comes our way. That is supposed to begin on Wednesday, so no time to waste.

Hope all is well!
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
1970 Plymouth Road Runner A383 pistol grip tick-tock buckets

#4130926 - 12/21/21 12:38 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Quick update: I addressed the issues with the driver's side rear door tonight, as mentioned in the previous post. For reference here is a repeat of a picture I posted a short while ago:

That is ground-zero in regard to the condition of that door. This was the only damage that I found. It needed no other body work. And so these two areas received the usual treatment of the flap disc:

The studs:

Which pulled the majority of the affected areas back into form. However additional work was required to fully restore their former glory. Thus another round of studs-n-pulls soon ensued. That done, the panels were quite close to their original shape. Thus only a touch of glaze was needed to set it right:

You might notice a third area further down the rear door's frame that I addressed while I was at it. I discovered another small, pea-sized dent and decided to touch it up while I was there. The glaze that I use can be applied over sanded paint, so I didn't bother with the angle grinder and flap disc on that one. Just sanding, cleaning, drying and application of the glaze.

In the end this repair was easy enough that it made me wonder why I contemplated a door exchange in the first place. laugh The answer is likely that I prefer mechanical over body work in the general swath of automotive repair endeavor. Body work has its "coolness factor" though ... it can be kinda zen-like when shaping a panel, provided that it is going well and that you are in the mood for it, etc. biggrin

So that's where things are at present. Due to space limitations in the workshop I will need to push Ol' Blue outdoors in order to complete the pax side rear door swap. The road to recovery for the hood is significant enough that I'll need to set it on the outdoor workbench in order to attempt to achieve a respectable-ish result. If all goes to plan I will make a start on that tomorrow as well. TBD.

Take care!

Edited by av8or1 (12/21/21 12:49 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4130942 - 12/21/21 04:51 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
If the hood's just oil-canned and not creased, you might get lucky with just a suction cup.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4131108 - 12/24/21 01:24 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Stu- That's a thought, but I'm not that lucky. With this build, I expect the hood to fight me all of the way just as most everything else has. laugh

Related to Stu, I picked up a bit of 1/2" CVPC pipe last night while we were out running errands. We happened to find ourselves in a box store, so I made a point of searching for this stuff. I'd like to implement the door striker mod on Ol' Blue if possible. I haven't been able to find a thread that describes this mod and have only heard of it via a couple of Stu's posts. That said, it seems like a nifty mod to incorporate, so we'll give it a go. Thanks Stu for the implicit suggestion.

Well fellas the past couple of days have been consumed with family-related stuff. No time to work on anything much. However I did receive a package today from SocalSam, to whom I would like to extend a big thank you. In that package was a set of ballistic panels that he picked up at a salvage yard:

I have never seen a set of these in all of my salvage yard runs to-date. So to be able to lay-hands on a set is a real treat. I reimbursed Sam for all expenses of course. He was generous with his time and effort in shipping these to us. Now we'll put these on Ol' Blue! Sam tells me that one bracket is missing. So I'll need to determine which one that is, then fab something together to serve as a replacement. Afterward, this will be a crazy-good addition to Ol' Blue. Thanks Sam! double thumbs

Then tonight I had the briefest of windows in the workshop; while keeping an eye on the lil' un, I managed to get a rough-n-dirty start on the blocking:

I chose to begin with the roof since that is the largest panel that I'll need to contend with during the process. I still need to repair the hood, remount it and the front fenders, replace the pax rear door (am considering the front pax door too), then mask everything off prior to doing any real prep. This roof business was just an ease-of-access thing while I kept an eye out. And that was because I could stand inside through the sunroof opening and run the DA while watching him play.

With that, I'd like to wish all of y'all a Merry Christmas!

Edited by av8or1 (12/24/21 01:36 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4131240 - 12/25/21 10:10 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Fellas ... As one might suspect, I didn't have much time given the Christmas holiday. However late in the afternoon we had managed to do everything on our agenda for the day, so I found a brief window to head to the workshop. Despite the interruptions that would ensue, I managed to make a start on the hood. The next step in the process is to paint the underside of the hood and trunk lid. Fortunately one package of the DX-in-a-can stuff arrived yesterday, so we have that on-hand and ready. However, in regard to the underside-painting stuff, I couldn't just launch into that straight away. The reason surrounds the hood. That is, before I paint the its underside, I needed to address the oil canning business, as that involves heat input. And so that is where I began. First was the removal of the vanity panel:

And then the latch. Unfortunately y'all, insofar as this oil canning business is concerned the damage was more widespread than the primary impact area would indicate. It was canning laterally from that area outside the body line towards the pax edge. I was also canning from the impact zone forward toward the hood front. The driver's side was solid. And wouldn't ya know it but the damage in the impact area involved a crease. While not the worst that it could be obviously, there was be more to contend with than anticipated. Oh well. Still a better option than the red-n-blue instance that she came with. And so I busted out the angle grinder and flap disc. Began by outlining the impact zone and taking it down to bare metal:

The oil canning in that area taken care of, I proceeded to check on the other zones-of-inclusion. Began working through those. This process can be time kinda consuming, depending. And so I had to leave it here for the night:

A little remains on the pax side and an area further North towards the nose still needs tending to, but hopefully that will be the extent of it. laugh

The next step after the underside painting is to mount all of the panels and begin sanding. Since DX is a pearl base, you'll want to paint the entire length of panels in one long swath versus painting them separately off-vehicle for example. And so that is how I will roll. Specifically this is the 30,000 ft agenda:
1) good sanding with 80/120
2) primer surfacer
3) more sanding/filling/guide as necessary
4) primer sealer
5) DX base
6) clear

If painted over within 8 hours the primer surfacer that I'll use doesn't need sanding. I'll take advantage of that dontchaknow.

Anyway Merry Christmas!

Edited by av8or1 (12/25/21 10:13 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4132876 - 01/14/22 12:09 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Fellas... how have y'all been? I've been away from the forum for a while; 'caught something nasty just after Christmas. Did the stick-a-swab-so-far-up-your-nose-you're-certain-they-want-brain-matter-for-their-sample test because the symptoms were severe enough. Fortunately that came back negative. Then resumed work on the 3rd even though I was still not well. Which generally slows your overall recovery. Anyway, doing better these days. Most importantly no one in the family caught whatever I had (I kinda self-isolated a bit), so all's well that ends well.

So... tonight was the first night that I have had any opportunity to revisit Ol' Blue. With the hood issues sorted, I have moved on to installing the rear pax door. This is the result:

I then fiddled around with the front pax door in an effort to determine whether to replace it or fix all of its issues. In the end I gave the nod to replacement. And so, like with the rear pax door, all of the electrics were disconnected and pulled through the opening, the door removed and the new-to-us one put into position:

Once secured, adjustment of both doors to align both with each other and with a different body than they originated with ensued. Fairly easy stuff, 'cept I had lil' un sitting duties tonight, so I had to find ways of involving him in the exchange process. That too wasn't difficult, as he seems to take interest in technical details. And he enjoys running the impact, so ... laugh

At last they came out in the wash:

And in the rear:

The initial fitment of the front door resulted in the pin striping being a match but the gaps were off between the doors as well as on the top and bottom. A closer look revealed that the rear door was sitting just a tad low. So we loosened it, elevated it and re-secured it. Although the pin striping was then off a tad, the gaps were good, the door shut properly and the body lines matched. So of course we went with that configuration. biggrin

These salvage yard doors still contain their internal harnesses. For now everything is just stuffed inside. I'll deal with that down the road. I'll likely do a quick comparison, but in the end I'll just remove whatever came in these doors and connect the original harness from Ol' Blue. The good news is that these doors were optioned identically, so no issues there.

Next is to re-install the fenders, inner fenders and hood. Make whatever adjustments are needed there. Then move on to paint prep. Again, the goal here is a daily driver paint job. Not attempting a concourse variant. And so I am still debating as to how I'll go about such endeavor. The primary issue at-hand therein is whether I craft some type of makeshift booth or if I just paint it in the open. If the latter, I'll at least lay down some plastic so as to avoid kicking up kruft from the asphalt 'n such. TBD. And that said, I have noticed the peas-sized dent or two on various body panels, mostly the trunk lid, that I will need to address prior to laying down any color. So I have to throw that in there as well. And having said that, look, the thing runs ... something within wants to finish it off and move on to the next project. I must admit. Thus I find myself focusing on "finishing" more than I perhaps should. But I digress.

Hope y'all have been well.

Edited by av8or1 (01/14/22 12:14 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4132898 - 01/14/22 08:42 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
2011LX Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SE WI
I've too have noticed that the factory gaps on these cars were atrocious for the most part. And, like you say, if you want to go about fixing them you have to deal with the pinstriping if equipped. Ugh.

Too bad, the shoddy workmanship at the factory.
Medium Light Stone interior

#4132932 - 01/14/22 03:48 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
In regards to ideas for the makeshift “paint booth”; when doing body/paint work in the past I actually took one of those large “beach tents”, drove the car underneath and used tarps, paint drop covers and even welding screens, secured with zip ties at the top and bricks and other heavy stuff at the bottom. The tent itself is a good cheap base for that type of thing. Just an idea to consider.

’97 Marquis M75
‘99 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L‘21 F-250 4X4, 6.2L‘85 Impala, 5.0L “Hot Box”
Front Window Regulator Guide 1995 - 1997 Tune Up Guide How To: Fuel Injector Replacement

#4133040 - Yesterday at 10:03 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: 2011LX]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

2011LX- Yeah the gaps could be better from the factory. Given the objective (presumably) that was at-play when these vehicles were made, I can understand why that is sometimes the case. As it so happens, the wife-eee doesn't like pin striping in general, so I'll remove what's there and won't be replacing it.

hot__box- Ah yes, the good old party tent. Every DIYers paint booth. I might do that, who knows? At this point I'm kinda leaning towards just an outdoor paint job and living with the results. TBD.

Thanks both for the feedback.

Well fellas, family stuff consumed almost the entirety of this, the first day of the 3-day weekend. By the time we returned home darkness was upon us, so I punted for the day. That said, I decided to post regarding a quick-eee task that I tended to last night. Kind of an item of curiosity more than anything else.

That element involves the driver's side fender. For the get-it-running effort, I just threw in one of the ones that I had brought home from a salvage yard run:

It was never a-gonna be the permanent answer. You might recall that I cleaned, painted and bed-lined a pair of fenders a short while ago:

I proceeded with the installation of the pax side of that pair. However I held-off WRT the driver's side. I did so because of an observation that I had made while comparing the one that came on Ol' Blue (which is ripped, cut and in rather poor condition) with the two that I had on-hand. These are those three on-display atop the work bench:

With the fully-prepped one on the bottom left. So. What was/is the issue? Well I noticed a slight difference in the three mounting locations for the PCM (or rather its bracket to be precise). You see, the one that came with Ol' Blue has "cut-outs" (for lack of a better term which is escaping me at present) near those three designated holes. These are the aft two:

and the forward one:

Whereas both of the driver's side inner fender (or "splash shield") spares that I have on-hand do not have those "cut-outs". Thus:

And:

Now why is that? The only explanation that I could conjure-up was that I must have taken these inner fenders from a CVPI prior to the point at which Ford began mounting the PCM on said inner fender? However if that is the case, then why do the round holes exist at all? Perhaps they had a different mounting configuration without the "cut-outs"? Meh. Dunno really. That said, note that the purpose of these "cut-outs" is to enable you to slide in a captive clip as the means of securing the PCM bracket (and thus the PCM) to the inner fender. Thus:

Obviously this isn't possible in the absence of said "cut-outs". Thus:

Certainly, a solution is blatantly obvious ... just nut-bolt-and-washer it. Quite simple. For the first engine start, I merely placed the entire clip below the fender and threaded a bolt to it. That works, but kinda clunky ... I mean a clip is intended to slide on each side of a flange, not one. Granted, that's a real nit, but hey. I tend to roll that way. laugh

So I couldn't just leave it like that dontchaknow. Ohhhhhh noooooo. rolleyes Furthermore there is a reason that tools are produced. And so I decided to craft a replica of the factory implementation. I don't have any dedicated plastic-cutting stuff, but it's nothing that a spade bit, box cutter and sandpaper can't remedy:

While not factory clean, they'll serve the intended purpose. And with this "fix" in place, I don't need to go on the hunt for and then prepare an appropriately configured fender. laugh

Anyway, that tidbit is all I have at present. Hope all is well.
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

Page 107 of 107 < 1 2 105 106 107

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 68
Old_Guy_Stu 58
a_d_a_m 58
hot__box 56
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 48
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Dmblanch 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!