Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#4132798 - 01/12/22 09:59 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By hot__box
Originally Posted By 88grandmarq
So I’m looking to do a brake job on the ‘97....

Personally, I think semi metallic replacement brake pads and stock replacement rotors work perfectly fine. No need for ceramic pads and cross drilled rotors.

Your car should have Steel piston caliper pistons, but its always good to check as someone else may have replaced the calipers already at some point in the cars life. I find steel caliper pistons work better and last longer.

The size of inner brake pad clip will depend on which caliper piston is installed. The Steel piston will have a larger hole and require a larger clip. The plastic or phelonic pistons will be much thicker material and have a smaller hole and requires a smaller clip on the inner pad.

One upgrade I do recommend is replacing the factory rubber caliper bushing with a stainless steel bushings. The steel bushings prevent the caliper from moving during hard braking and improve pad wear and pad longevity.

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-H5016-CS/87-93-mustang-brake-caliper-sleeves-sve

Thank you for this, it is very informative.

Not questioning you at all, but the link specifies ‘87 to ‘93 Mustangs.. I’m assuming that up to ‘93 Mustang bushings will work with the ‘97 panther stock set up ?

Originally Posted By 2011LX
Typically, all other things equal, ceramic stopping power is lower than semi-metallic.
Semi-metallics are relatively soft, so they bite better, are easier on the rotor, but the pads wear faster and create far more brake dust as a result.
Ceramic pads are harder. They dust far less, but they wear the rotor faster and don't stop as well.

Noted, thanks.

All in all, I think I’m going to just go with regular new solid rotors and some semi-metallic pads. Raybestos most likely but not sure yet. I don’t think I’m going to actually replace the calipers themselves.. I asked this question but received no answer, does anybody actually recommend replacing the calipers too? Or just go with new pads and rotors and rock the same calipers assuming no signs of brake fluid seepage/leaks?

Yes, the caliper bushings I linked to are for Mustangs, but the panther chassis uses the same front caliper and same mounting bushings.

typically, you don't need to replace the calipers.. unless one is bad (ie, seized piston or seized/broken bleeder screw)
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/Ford-transmission-repairs-Jmod-348414635312478/

Links
#4132928 - 01/14/22 03:41 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: 88grandmarq]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
Originally Posted By 88grandmarq
I’m assuming that up to ‘93 Mustang bushings will work with the ‘97 panther stock set up ? ... I asked this question but received no answer, does anybody actually recommend replacing the calipers too?

Yes, the caliper bushings I linked to are for Mustangs, but the panther chassis uses the same front caliper and same mounting bushings.

typically, you don't need to replace the calipers.. unless one is bad (ie, seized piston or seized/broken bleeder screw)

Thanks. This weekend should be decent, I’ll hopefully get a chance to pop the rotors off and confirm steel pistons. Then I think I’m just going to go with Raybestos solid police rotors and semi-metallic pads.

’97 Marquis M75
‘99 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L‘21 F-250 4X4, 6.2L‘85 Impala, 5.0L “Hot Box”
Front Window Regulator Guide 1995 - 1997 Tune Up Guide How To: Fuel Injector Replacement

#4132930 - 01/14/22 03:48 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
@ hot__box: You know the steel vs. phenolic only applies to the rear calipers, yes?
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4132936 - 01/14/22 03:56 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: RF_Overlord]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
@ hot__box: You know the steel vs. phenolic only applies to the rear calipers, yes?

I do now. biggrin

I was only planning to pull the rear driver’s side rotor to check. And, In all seriousness, I stated up in the OP that I know nothing about brakes. I’ve never changed out a brake component in my life, and that’s why I was looking for guidance and tips with this topic that turned into about 5% guidance and tips and 95% salt state vs non salt state. Lol.

’97 Marquis M75
Front Window Regulator Guide 1995 - 1997 Tune Up Guide How To: Fuel Injector Replacement

#4132940 - 01/14/22 04:12 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Best pull both sides. It's not unknown for a car to have steel on one side and phenolic on the other. Not common, but it does happen.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4132948 - 01/14/22 04:27 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: RF_Overlord]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
Best pull both sides. It's not unknown for a car to have steel on one side and phenolic on the other. Not common, but it does happen.

Noted, thank you

’97 Marquis M75

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 68
Old_Guy_Stu 58
a_d_a_m 58
hot__box 56
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 48
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Dmblanch 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!