Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#498464 - 07/23/04 05:59 AM Re: Bad Brake Booster?
Tom_W. Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Florida!
Moneypit.. love that picture.. I used to live in Burnsville, back in the early sixtys when I was REAL little!
My Aunt and Cousins live in Minneapolis... You almost can't see the Foshay tower any more!

#498465 - 07/23/04 10:05 PM Re: Bad Brake Booster?
Joeh Leonard Offline
n00b

well there is another thing that can happen with a bad brake booster, the one on my car just went, and all though i have checked every single vaccum line ( just so i know ) but when you are driving the car or some times just sitting at a light, there is a hissing or a whisteling from under the dash.. kinda like when you have a air leak in a mattress and its not constant but its enough to drive you insane! but i had a mechanic look at it and he said that thats mostly the problem < as there are anew drums shoes pads calipers master cylender and lines!) the only thing that is reused is the booster!
but thats another thing that can go wrong, the seals just gie and the car is always trying to adjust the vaccum, to compensate for the leak!
any ways just another idea!

Joeh Leonard

#498466 - 07/24/04 01:48 AM Re: Bad Brake Booster?
Petely Offline
Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL
The old custom cruise wagons uses a powermaster unit. Thats right...no vacuum brake booster. It is electric. Neat idea but i had to change it out in a blizzard FOR THE THIRD TIME. THank goodness for lifetime warranties.
New Long List of Rules Compliant Sig

#498467 - 07/24/04 07:27 AM Re: Bad Brake Booster?
FordInPossession Offline

Joeh, that hissing you hear is not your power booster. it's a small vacuum regulator for the automatic transmission that's used to help determine which gear the car is actually in due to vacuum pressure. it's a common leak on 79-91 crown vic and grand marquis as well as town cars. the ford part is now an obsolete number with no dealership carrying the parts anymore. you may be able to seal around the regulator with black silicone or something to that effect, but otherwise you jsut kinda have to deal with it. try moing the shifter around a little up and down in drive or overdrive to see if it get's better/worse

http://members.cardomain.com/fordinpossession

1988 Crown Marquis (Think about THAT one will ya)
Another "In process" vehicle

#498468 - 07/24/04 02:38 PM Re: Bad Brake Booster?
Petely Offline
Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL
How come I have never seen this vacuum based transmission thingy on my 87. Wierd. Anyways. My speculation is the emergency brake unit. They tend to hiss a lot. I plugged the hose to my unit. No more hiss.
New Long List of Rules Compliant Sig

#498469 - 07/24/04 04:05 PM Re: Bad Brake Booster?
85crownHPP* Offline
Poobah

Loc: central VA
I too would like to find this thingy!

my 77 has a vacuum modulator valve, but no vacuum lines run to this AOD...

85HPP's mods:
CFI to SEFI conversion w/ HO upperstuff - headers & flowmasters - p71 airbox - Towncar seats - LED dash light-show - center gauge console - LED 3rd brake light - 3G alternator - mini starter - washer/coolant bottle upgrade - Towncar power trunk pull - underhood fuse/relay box - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - painted HPP wheels - 600W RMS Alpine driven 10-speaker stereo

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 244 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 362
bluejay_32 324
a_d_a_m 231
Rainbowpizza 167
DudeAbides 149
JeffBoudah 124
Moby_Vic 111
Old_Guy_Stu 77
BigNSlow 69
Bangster 62
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!