Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#535241 - 09/08/04 03:20 PM Re: Police Interceptor Computer
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Louisville, KY
Quote:

It doesn't remove the speed limited, tho, does it?? Maybe one of those doohickies that plugs into the OBD2 port would help with that. .

Speed limiters on civvy vics is about 112mph. This is because of the driveshaft.

Police vics have a speed limiter of 135 (+/-) BUT, they have the "police" driveshaft that can handle the resonance/vibrations of those higher speeds (IIRC)

So yes, he will be able to go faster, WHY! but he may also pole-(driveshaft)-vault his car.

Quad-Cam Cop Engine, Bullet Proof Tires & Windows, Stab Proof Seats, Steel Door Beams, SuperCharger, Anti-Deer Harmonic Wheel Covers, Trunk Mounted Counterbalance System
..and many other things people told me my car is equipped with.

Links
#535242 - 09/08/04 07:00 PM Re: Police Interceptor Computer
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
Quote:

Quote:

It doesn't remove the speed limited, tho, does it?? Maybe one of those doohickies that plugs into the OBD2 port would help with that. .

Speed limiters on civvy vics is about 112mph. This is because of the driveshaft.

Police vics have a speed limiter of 135 (+/-) BUT, they have the "police" driveshaft that can handle the resonance/vibrations of those higher speeds (IIRC)

So yes, he will be able to go faster, WHY! but he may also pole-(driveshaft)-vault his car.

My Grand Marqis is limited to 103, not 112. Does any body have a idea at what speed the civi drive shaft will fail at so I can not go that fast?
I only want the car to be able to go faster if needed. When I supercharge the car I don't want to even come close to the top speed limiter. And I want to outrun my buddies S10

#535243 - 09/08/04 07:21 PM Re: Police Interceptor Computer
1BADMERC Offline
Over the Hill

I thought that there was a crossmember that prevented the front of the driveshaft from falling down. At least that's how it is on my '93 GM. This would allow the back to fall, but not the front. Am I correct on this?

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
144k miles
All airbags switched to coils/struts, junk tranny, motor donor car
Mercury Owners Group

This is a disclaimer:
This post is the opinion of the person in question. It is presented as nothing more than that. Furthurmore, this opinion is is not necessarily the opinion of CVN, any of its affiliates, or anyone else on Earth.

#535244 - 09/08/04 07:48 PM Re: Police Interceptor Computer
poppajack7 Offline
n00b

no but you can buy a drive shaft loop for your car.
1994 crown vic p71. 3.73 gears, bbk throttle body,motorvation spacer, reinhart super chip,high flow converters, welded magnaflows and full custom transmission. energy suspension. 14.152 1/4, 98.96 mph 1.960 60. who says the old dogs don't run!!!!!!

#535245 - 09/08/04 11:42 PM Re: Police Interceptor Computer
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Louisville, KY
You voted for the top speed limiter before you voted against it. You dont want to get close to the top speed but want the car to go faster and want to beat your buddy's S10. (street racing? I would assume, because you won't get close to 103 or 112mph drag racing)

Quad-Cam Cop Engine, Bullet Proof Tires & Windows, Stab Proof Seats, Steel Door Beams, SuperCharger, Anti-Deer Harmonic Wheel Covers, Trunk Mounted Counterbalance System
..and many other things people told me my car is equipped with.

#535246 - 09/09/04 12:31 AM Re: Police Interceptor Computer
johnnyiroc Offline
Over the Hill

he probably only has a 3.27 rear end, steel shaft. I would at least put a regular aluminum shaft on it to run the 130 dept.

#535247 - 09/09/04 12:35 AM Re: Police Interceptor Computer
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
Close Colonel, Just a matter of bragging rights , besides I don't plan on running the car faster than 120, if I did I wouldn't know how fast I was going. How fast are the Panthers properly tuned with a supercharger kit in the 1/4?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
3 registered (Tenevic_P71, 02_LSE, webestang), 72 Guests and 237 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 362
bluejay_32 324
a_d_a_m 231
Rainbowpizza 167
DudeAbides 149
JeffBoudah 123
Moby_Vic 107
Old_Guy_Stu 79
BigNSlow 71
Bangster 61
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!