Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#539128 - 09/14/04 05:46 AM %$##&^ parking brake
Chakalaka Offline
Rookie

I use my parking brake pretty reguarly, so I didn't expect this to happen. Today, while cruising around, I got the bright idea to test my emergency brake -- to see if it worked correctly, in case I ever needed it. I was pretty weak (even for an emergency brake.) The kicker is, once I stopped, the darn parking brake wouldn't come free. I have a 92 Vic, and the brake is the type where you push a lever with your foot both to set and release the brake. The pedal comes back up, but the brake doesn't release. Drove it a quarter mile home, and by time I arrived, I could smell the pads cooking.

How the heck do I free that thing up again?

Thanks!

Links
#539129 - 09/14/04 08:48 AM Re: %$##&^ parking brake
wvcab Offline

ummmm.... back up.

#539130 - 09/14/04 11:42 AM Re: %$##&^ parking brake
tbug Offline
Poobah

Loc: Michigan
I had mine do that on the GM, I had to reach down there and pull the wire that was connected to the pedal by hand because the pedal wasn't putting enough pressure on it, I don't even have pads or anything on my car now since it cost way too much to get it all replaced.
Crown Victoria
1994, 1998

#539131 - 09/14/04 02:19 PM Re: %$##&^ parking brake
stevo Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Wisconsin--most of the time
This thread title, partly, is parking brake.

What the heck were you thinking? It IS NOT an emergency brake, just a parking brake. This design is the poorest parking brake design I have ever encountered. And I've been at the wheel for over 34 years and owned a lot of cars.

Wait until you have to replace them. Then the real test of patience begins. PatfromJersey just did this job recently. Search on "parking brake" in the 4.6 forum and you should be able to find it.

Who's Online
1 registered (2000Mark), 110 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!