Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#660888 - 03/09/05 12:15 PM Phantom Clicking
zephyr Offline
n00b

I have a 1993 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 with 132,000 miles and I seem to be getting a rapid clicking when under load. If I depress the gas slighty it goes away or if I let up on the gas slighty it goes away. It seems to be dependant on throttle opening and load. I probed with my stethescope when it's warmed up and idling and all injectors seem to have the same light ticking sound. When raising the rpms in park I still cannot detect this sound either by ear or with the stethescope. I tossed the Fram PCV valve and installed a Motorcraft, added injector cleaner and even tried higher octane gas. No codes have been stored. I really don't believe this is lifter noise and a bottle of Rislone made no improvement in 1000 miles so I drained and refilled it with 5W30 and a new Motorcraft filter. This is the wifes car and was quiet the last time I drove it. I don't think it's pinging but I have been fooled before. Runs fine otherwise and does not burn any measurable amount of oil. Can you think of anything that I might have overlooked? Thanks!

Links
#660889 - 03/09/05 12:25 PM Re: Phantom Clicking
1BADMERC Offline
Over the Hill

I had a weird noise under load that I thought sounded like "lifters". Since the 4.6 doesn't have "lifters" per se (hydraulic valve lash adjusters instead) it wasn't that. It wasn't until I replaced the EGR valve that it went away.....FWIW...

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
144k miles
All airbags switched to coils/struts, junk tranny, motor donor car
Mercury Owners Group

This is a disclaimer:
This post is the opinion of the person in question. It is presented as nothing more than that. Furthurmore, this opinion is is not necessarily the opinion of CVN, any of its affiliates, or anyone else on Earth.

#660890 - 03/09/05 12:46 PM Re: Phantom Clicking
emtmark Offline

Loc: NY
I had a wierd noise on my 92 crown vic, it turned out to be everytime I moved slightly in my seat it would make a clicking sound, usually happend when I accelorated or stopped.

#660891 - 03/09/05 01:59 PM Re: Phantom Clicking
SmokeyBear Offline

Loc: Ky
Take the baseball card out of the wheelspokes...J/K

Check your plug wires/coil packs carefully, you may have a wayward spark that's not bad enough to cause a misfire but still makes an arc.

#660892 - 03/09/05 03:43 PM Re: Phantom Clicking
zephyr Offline
n00b

1BADMERC, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. When checking out the EGR valve, (Which by the way looks original)I noticed the EGR tube going up to it has a crack all the way through it in its flex section (The tube costs $45.00). Black exhaust carbon is just starting to collect on the outside. If I'm able to loosen the tube where it connects to the exhaust manifold I should be OK. Already shot it with PB Blaster. The location and ease of removal is not one of Fords better Ideas!

#660893 - 03/09/05 06:55 PM Re: Phantom Clicking
1BADMERC Offline
Over the Hill

Quote:

1BADMERC, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. When checking out the EGR valve, (Which by the way looks original)I noticed the EGR tube going up to it has a crack all the way through it in its flex section (The tube costs $45.00). Black exhaust carbon is just starting to collect on the outside. If I'm able to loosen the tube where it connects to the exhaust manifold I should be OK. Already shot it with PB Blaster. The location and ease of removal is not one of Fords better Ideas!

No problem.....If you jack up the car, set it on jackstands, then it's a little easier for the bottom part of the tube. I used a big adjustable wrench, I think the nut is a 1 1/16(IIRC). Yes, blaster is always a good idea. The clicking or ticking is basically an exhaust leak. For me it was way more of a PITA to remove/replace the EGR valve from the int. manifold than it was to remove the bottom nut from the exh. manifold FWIW..
Glad to help you out...
Good Day

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
144k miles
All airbags switched to coils/struts, junk tranny, motor donor car
Mercury Owners Group

This is a disclaimer:
This post is the opinion of the person in question. It is presented as nothing more than that. Furthurmore, this opinion is is not necessarily the opinion of CVN, any of its affiliates, or anyone else on Earth.

Who's Online
6 registered (bluejay_32, CrystalPistol, TheShadow, Bluedart, Delta_P71, KestoneCat), 74 Guests and 283 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 218
Old_Guy_Stu 119
a_d_a_m 111
DudeAbides 95
Ponyguy 69
CrystalPistol 48
Moby_Vic 43
ClayBelt 42
Davidzq 42
Bangster 37
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!