Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#715818 - 06/02/05 05:49 AM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
PointBlank Offline

That's how i cracked the old one...overtightening the new thermostat!!

It's a 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis.No performance parts,just stock...family car.

Wish me luck,i'll be digging into her starting Saturday!! Thanks again for the very helpful advice...

I mainly hang-out in firearm forums like glocktalk.com or ar15.com but i just found this forum and it is already one of my favorites.

What good timing too....thx again!!

Links
#715819 - 06/02/05 09:46 AM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
Rusty! Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: New Mexico, USA
I suggest that you buy an ALUMINUM aftermarket manifold. I wish I had done that when I replaced mine with a stock unit. My sense is that the aluminum one won't warp later.

#715820 - 06/02/05 10:25 AM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
99_03PantherS Offline

Poobah

Loc: NW side Chicago
or you can just pick out alot of plastics from the boneyard...
'78 Continental
'98 Mark VIII

#715821 - 06/02/05 11:42 AM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
AstroVic Offline
Over the Hill

Quote:

I suggest that you buy an ALUMINUM aftermarket manifold. I wish I had done that when I replaced mine with a stock unit. My sense is that the aluminum one won't warp later.

He IS buying one with the aluminum crossover.

#715822 - 06/02/05 08:08 PM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
nascoil Offline
Climber

Loc: in my chair
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

For a stock car, going with a colder thermostat will almost certainly cause problems.

really, such as? it may not be optimal, but i doubt it'll cause problems. i had a chip, but removed it two years ago, although i kept the 180*. no problems here. after warm up, the temp at lowest reads slightly less than half, well within normal operating temperature.

it killed my Cats

yeah, i've been searching and this seems to be a problem. i'm pulling the 180* out for a stock stat as a preventative measure. thanks

#715823 - 06/02/05 08:56 PM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
Coplin Offline

Quote:

Quote:

He IS buying one with the aluminum crossover.

I think he meant the ALL ALuminum manifold that Ford had on the early Vics?

#715824 - 06/02/05 09:04 PM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
Coplin Offline

Quote:

That's how i cracked the old one...overtightening the new thermostat!!

It's a 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis.No performance parts,just stock...family car.

Wish me luck,i'll be digging into her starting Saturday!! Thanks again for the very helpful advice...

I mainly hang-out in firearm forums like glocktalk.com or ar15.com but i just found this forum and it is already one of my favorites.

What good timing too....thx again!!

I f yours is an LS with HPP we have the same car. I replaced my manifold when it cracked behind alternator, with the Dorman Solutions aluminum crossover manifold kit.
The gaskets are molded into this unit which is nice. Being Chinese made though I noticed some bolt holes are not cast into the plastic deep enough. No big deal just cut about 1/8 inch off the bolt ends and they will thread in all the way.Also the kit comes with 2 or three alternator mounting brackets. you will use only one the others are for different models. Use plenty of clean rags when cleaning the old gasket material from the top of the block you DONT want that crud dropping into the runners. Also make sure all your fuel injector o-rings are ok. Or replace them all they are cheap anyways. One more thing you will need fuel line disconnect tool if you dont have.

#715825 - 06/02/05 10:49 PM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
timberjack Offline
n00b

Loc: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Here's the place i bought mine from, same one you saw on eBay. $200 and s&h was $9.00
http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=11498

Hope your repair goes as easy as mine did.
Ken

#715826 - 06/04/05 02:02 PM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
PointBlank Offline

I owe all you guys a HUGE thanks!!

I did get the cracked one yanked out Thursday and put the replacement that i bought at Auto Zone in Friday.

The replacement has the metal crossover and came with thermostat/gasket,new alternator hardware that holds wires up,and gaskets were molded into it which saved $$ (thermostat/gasket too)

Wasn't that bad and i wasnt out to set any records either,pretty much took my time.

Changed my sparkplugs and cleaned the injectors some,cleaned the gunk inside the throttle body (plenium??)also.

I do have one problem though....it seems to run kinda sluggish now.

On top of the plenium?? (throttle body)there was a sticker that states "do not clean throttle body plate or inside as there is a special coating applied",something like that.

I did not do a through cleaning.....i just got some of the heavy gunk off.I sprayed brake cleaner on a rag and pretty much wiped some stuff out of there.

Question is......did i screw up cleaning the plate and inside "some"???

Thanks again for all the advice on doing the intake again,without you guys and God NO WAY would i have ever dared the task!!

#715827 - 06/05/05 12:32 AM Re: Jig-Rigging a4.6L Intake Manifold(mine is crac
SicVic1 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach ,Fl.
cleaning out the t.b. may affect idling.....but wont hurt acceleration.....check all of your vacuum connections and connectors...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
4 registered (ford05, alumarine, CarMon, Scuba_Steve), 147 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!