Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#870100 - 02/13/06 02:11 AM Anyone Remember "COPS" - D/S Linda Canada?
95CrownVictoriaP74 Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Dixie County, Florida
Watching first season of COPS tonight on Court TV and I was determined to research what I could find on Broward County (FL) Sheriff's Deputy Linda Canada (now LT. Linda Canada-Stuck) and her at the time (now huband) Deputy Jerry Wurms (today Sgt. Jerry Wurms).

I was trying to find a current photo of Linda, citing she was very attractive in the late 80's during the taping of COPS.

Anyways, a Google search revealed that one of her sons (some of you may remember him in a high-chair as an infant when COPS taped at her home when Deputy Wurms was moving in) is a real hellion on the road in Broward County, as well as neighboring counties.

Kinda interesting if you are a fan of Linda - unfortunately, no pictures available....

Quote:

Deerfield teen steering clear of tickets for street racing

Wurms' parents, both BSO veterans, deny son has legal `privileges.'

By Chris Kahn

Staff Writer
Posted May 30 2005

Florida's street racing law was meant to stop people like John Wurms. The 18-year-old mechanic from Deerfield Beach tears up roads in Broward and Palm Beach counties, hitting 100 to 140 mph in his shiny red Ford Focus.

In 21/2 years, Wurms has received at least 14 traffic tickets, court records show. None was for street racing, only two resulted in convictions, and the toughest penalty he's faced is a $130 fine for speeding.

Wurms is not alone in beating Florida's street racing law. Police and prosecutors often don't pursue cases because they're hard to prove. Only about one in 10 racing charges statewide leads to conviction.

While Wurms fights tickets in court, he brags that he also has another advantage -- he claims he has pull with the Broward Sheriff's Office, where his parents work.

Court records show that Broward sheriff's deputies have never ticketed Wurms, though many other law enforcement agencies have: Florida Highway Patrol, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, and Coral Springs, Delray Beach and Boca Raton police.

As the son of Lt. Linda Canada-Stuck and Sgt. Jerald Wurms, both 18-year Broward Sheriff's Office veterans, John Wurms said he has "privileges." Instead of giving him citations, Wurms said, Broward deputies talk to his parents.

But Wurms' parents deny that claim. His mother, one of four lieutenants in the sheriff's Deerfield Beach district, said she did not know he raced. She said her son, who lives on his own, is responsible for his own actions.

"I won't [even] pay to have his car fixed," Canada-Stuck said. "I don't have anything to do with this. I have no idea what he's doing."

His father, who is assigned to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, said he has received calls from officers who have pulled over his son, but Jerald Wurms said he has never asked for favors.

"If a police officer calls me about his driving, I say, `Do what you need to do,'" Jerald Wurms said.

Police and prosecutors have not taken street racing seriously enough, said State Rep. John "Q" Quinones, R-Kissimmee. During the recent legislative session, Quinones pushed through a tougher version of Florida's street racing law.

The new law, if approved by the governor, would take effect Oct. 1. It would raise street racing from a second-degree to first-degree misdemeanor with maximum penalties of a $1,000 fine and one year in jail. Those convicted of racing again within five years could lose their cars.

But even with the stiffer penalties, street racing would remain as hard to prove in court, South Florida prosecutors said.

Prosecutors need witnesses who saw the cars speeding, and also must prove the drivers were competing against each other, said Jose Baldor, the assistant chief for DUI and traffic offenses with the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office.

"Some of these drivers don't even know each other," Baldor said. "They're at a red light and they both have fast cars, and it's like, `I'm going to race you to the next light.'"

Only 11 percent of the 4,903 street racing tickets written statewide resulted in convictions in 2003, according to the latest statistics from the Florida Uniform Traffic Citations report. In contrast, 65 percent of the 65,113 citations for driving under the influence that year resulted in convictions.

Wurms, a self-described street racer, has never been cited under the original street racing law, enacted in 2003, the year after he got his driver's license.

But he's faced plenty of other citations. Court records in Broward and Palm Beach counties show police stopped Wurms for speeding five times, careless driving three times and other traffic violations six times.

According to court records, six of the charges were dismissed. Four were settled with "adjudication withheld" agreements that allowed Wurms to avoid conviction, though he was still ordered to pay fines ranging from $50 to $130.

Wurms was convicted of one charge of operating an unsafe vehicle and another charge of using improper equipment. Two other charges, for having an obscured tag and violating a traffic device, are pending.

Wurms said he fights his tickets, paying attorney's fees to keep points off his license and avoid suspensions. According to the state Department of Motor Vehicles, Wurms has no points on his driving record and his license has never been suspended.

"I have a bunch of lawyers," Wurms said.

Though he has never gotten a ticket from the Broward Sheriff's Office, Wurms said he often races in the Deerfield Beach area because that is the sheriff's district where his mother works.

Twice in March, a South Florida Sun-Sentinel reporter watched as Wurms was pulled over by sheriff's deputies in northeast Broward. He didn't get a ticket either time, court records show.

Late at night on March 18, deputies stopped Wurms after he raced another car at about 100 mph on Powerline Road. Ten days later, also late at night, deputies stopped Wurms after he said he skidded through the intersection of Powerline Road and Southwest 10th Street in a high-speed stunt called "drifting."

Although Wurms doesn't live with either parent, he said Broward deputies spoke with his mother on the phone both times they stopped him. Wurms said he got a tongue lashing from his mother, but that was the end of it.

Canada-Stuck disputed her son's account.

"I have nothing to do with him getting out of tickets," she said. "I would never condone anyone fixing his tickets. If people are not writing a ticket because that person's family is in law enforcement, that's their own problem."

Sheriff's spokeswoman Cheryl Stopnick said she doesn't know why deputies did not cite Wurms either time. "That's up to the law enforcement officer at the scene," Stopnick said.

Despite repeated requests, Stopnick declined to provide any documentation on traffic stops involving Wurms, saying it would be too difficult to track down such information.

Wurms said he told his father he was racing the night he crashed into the back of a Buick in Boca Raton on Sept. 17, 2004, totaling his car and crushing his left hand.

At the hospital, Jerald Wurms said he yelled at his son "till I was blue in my face." But John Boylston, the Boca Raton community service officer investigating the crash, said neither father nor son told him anything about racing. "I probably would have looked a little more into that," Boylston said.

Jerald Wurms said he did not ask for special favors his son; Boylston agreed with that account. "I was there as a father," Jerald Wurms said. "I didn't do anything with the investigators."

Boylston cited John Wurms for careless driving, a noncriminal infraction that comes with a $115 fine. But Boylston failed to include specific details explaining the careless driving charge, prompting the judge to dismiss the case, court records show.

David Armstrong, the owner of the Buick that Wurms struck on Yamato Road, said he was shocked when a reporter told him that Wurms said he had been racing, and that the charges had been dismissed.

"He's going to keep doing it, doing it, until he ends up killing himself or someone else," said Armstrong, 70.

Five months after Wurms got out of the hospital, he said he bought another Ford Focus and started building another racer.

Pretty pompus kid, huh????

2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX
2016 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Hybrid
2017 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
(Previous vehicles: 1995 Crown Victoria LX HPP, 1997 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, 2000 Crown Victoria HPP, 2010 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T, & 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature)

Links
#870101 - 02/13/06 02:49 AM Re: Anyone Remember
CVPIDave Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Sacramento-ish

#870102 - 02/13/06 02:50 AM Re: Anyone Remember
BigBlackFord Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Sack A Tomatoes, Ca.
real winner there.. I guess some apples do fall far from the tree.
2000 Ford Crown Vic ** SOLD **

#870103 - 02/13/06 08:25 AM Re: Anyone Remember

Posting Addict

Yeah, very unfortunate. It seems like a large amount of cop's kids turn out to be real sh!theads......that statement is true in my dept, but most have very young children at this point in time.

(Previous vehicles: 1995 Crown Victoria LX HPP, 1997 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, 2000 Crown Victoria HPP, 2010 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T, & 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature)

#870104 - 02/13/06 08:30 AM Re: Anyone Remember
Mest30 Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: Midlothian, IL
Quote:

real winner there.. I guess some apples do fall far from the tree.

x2

2003 CVPI SAP

#870105 - 02/13/06 09:59 AM Re: Anyone Remember

Posting Addict

I would like to see what she looks like.....she was very attractive during the late 1980's COPS.

#870106 - 02/13/06 11:06 AM Re: Anyone Remember
Bomber166 Offline
is on next season of Prison Break
Over the Hill

I'd be funny if his mom or dad pulled him over and arrested him for street racing.
FRPP SS Shorty Headers, Custom Catless Cat-Pipe, Borla Catback Exhaust, Marauder Tips
Auburn Pro Series LSD w/ Motive 4.10's, Addco Rear Swaybar, '02 PI Shocks

#870107 - 02/13/06 11:08 AM Re: Anyone Remember
observer Offline
Over the Hill

i can't remember anything about her. do you know if cops was made available on dvd and which episode she may have been in

#870108 - 02/13/06 11:41 AM Re: Anyone Remember

Posting Addict

She was on the cover of the "COPS - Shots Fired" DVD.

#870109 - 02/13/06 11:54 AM Re: Anyone Remember
observer Offline
Over the Hill

does look familiar

#870110 - 02/13/06 12:05 PM Re: Anyone Remember
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Or maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... Think about it. ;-)

If anyone caught the "documentary" on street racing in Toronto, you will recall one scene where the cops are lined up waiting to pounce on a potential street race... The cops are talking about how reckless and dangerous the racing is. Suddenly, the street race is on, cops go on high, and what do they do? They peel out with their cv's in hot pursuit. Lets see, they where in the middle of telling the camera how dangerous the kids are in driving at high speeds... ;-)

Alex.

#870111 - 02/13/06 12:10 PM Re: Anyone Remember

Posting Addict

Toronto PD and Broward County are nowhere even near each other.

#870112 - 02/13/06 05:03 PM Re: Anyone Remember
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
No!? I'm floored. What am I gonna do!? NOTHING. The anecdote stands.

Alex.

#870113 - 02/13/06 05:04 PM Re: Anyone Remember

Posting Addict

Though it makes little sense, it shall stand.

#870114 - 02/13/06 06:07 PM Re: Anyone Remember
Mr. Land Yacht Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Auburn Hills, MI
that kid is a total douche
he's gonna get killed doin that crap in a Focus!

MAGNA 302X-'88 Mercury Grand Marquis LS http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/11285
Summit 600cfm Carb, Weiand X-Celerator Intake, FRPP E303 Cam, Burke's High Performance Ported E7 Heads, Shorty Headers, Dual exhaust with Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers, B&M 2000stall Torque Converter, 3.55 gears with POSI, AutoMeter Gauges and B&M QuickSilver Shifter. Current 1/4mi time: [email protected]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chaplian, jmlock, Ryan, The_Punisher 
Who's Online
3 registered (DES, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 81 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 63
Old_Guy_Stu 57
hot__box 56
a_d_a_m 55
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 41
Dmblanch 38
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!